View Full Version : Easiest trestle table base design

Tony Wilkins
12-13-2023, 2:52 PM
Since I’m having to adjust the base design so much from what I had planned to do, I’m basically starting over. As long as I am, I’m wondering what I should do. It will mark my first mortise and tenon project. What are suggestion for me? What would you consider the easiest table base?

Mike Cutler
12-13-2023, 8:13 PM
Stickley library table, or the Limber Turtle table.
However, both require very exact joinery, as will any project the size of a table.
It's not the design that makes something easy, or not, it's the joinery. 32nds. and 64ths, can compound very quickly on larger project. You have to be, repetitive, and exact.Cutting "skinny, or fat,to the line", will be your undoing, unless it's the same, every time.

Phil Gaudio
12-14-2023, 12:55 PM
I built this table over 20 years ago: as I recall it was a very good tutorial on how to build trestle tables.
https://d4c5gb8slvq7w.cloudfront.net/eyJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjYwMH19LCJidW NrZXQiOiJmaW5ld29vZHdvcmtpbmcuczMudGF1bnRvbmNsb3Vk LmNvbSIsImtleSI6ImFwcFwvdXBsb2Fkc1wvMjAwMVwvMDZcLz I3MDYyNTM2XC9GV1cxNDEtaXNzdWUuanBnIn0=

Tony Wilkins
12-14-2023, 1:41 PM
I built this table over 20 years ago: as I recall it was a very good tutorial on how to build trestle tables.
https://d4c5gb8slvq7w.cloudfront.net/eyJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjYwMH19LCJidW NrZXQiOiJmaW5ld29vZHdvcmtpbmcuczMudGF1bnRvbmNsb3Vk LmNvbSIsImtleSI6ImFwcFwvdXBsb2Fkc1wvMjAwMVwvMDZcLz I3MDYyNTM2XC9GV1cxNDEtaXNzdWUuanBnIn0=

what the best way to get a hold of this issue?

Phil Gaudio
12-14-2023, 1:59 PM
what the best way to get a hold of this issue?

Assuming you don't have FWW account that gives you unlimited access to back issues, here is link to hard copy of article and plan drawings:

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/fine-woodworkings-trestle-table-plan/14443502/item/19904264/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_new_condition_books_high&utm_adgroup=&utm_term=&utm_content=545679566094&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA7OqrBhD9ARIsAK3UXh0vS_VGBjv9mpoLg4aZ vn2WUsYUptU7P7JwVwq3h3m9Rju-ChG7biQaAhdHEALw_wcB#idiq=19904264&edition=15315805

Jack Frederick
12-14-2023, 3:30 PM
I built this table about 6-7 yrs ago out of the ‘06 Woodworking Mag. It is at my daughter’s home surviving the small Grands and their friends. The first top I built was a potato chip so it called for a re-do.

Tony Wilkins
12-15-2023, 12:35 PM
Table is glued. 84”x 36 5/8”. Plan is to take it out if clamps next week and flatten the top and then let is rest.

Tom Bender
12-16-2023, 4:38 PM
Your first mortice and tenon joint will look like your first mortice and tenon joint. Don't keep it, make it in scrap of the same material and size. Be patient. It may take more than one practice to work out the tools and techniques.

Tony Wilkins
12-16-2023, 4:45 PM
Your first mortice and tenon joint will look like your first mortice and tenon joint. Don't keep it, make it in scrap of the same material and size. Be patient. It may take more than one practice to work out the tools and techniques.
You’re right I’m sure. Not sure i’d use the wood I’m using the table. I’ve been thinking about making a shop bent so I could do that after a practice joint or two.

Philip Glover
12-16-2023, 4:55 PM
Tony,

There are many variations on the trestle design.
This is one that I am making at this instant. I now have the top on and will be adding a two-way drawer.
The design is on the Fine Woodworking website.

This is a through tenon with a wedge to hold the joint tight.
It is easier to make than it may look.

Regards,

Phil

Philip Glover
12-16-2023, 5:21 PM
Continued:

This is with the top attached.
There are three cleats on each leg to hold the top in place. The cleats allow seasonal movement.

Phil

Derek Cohen
12-16-2023, 8:46 PM
Since I’m having to adjust the base design so much from what I had planned to do, I’m basically starting over. As long as I am, I’m wondering what I should do. It will mark my first mortise and tenon project. What are suggestion for me? What would you consider the easiest table base?

Hi Tony

Put aside for the moment what is easier or less complicated a design, and ask yourself what you want the finished product (table) to look like. Do you want a trestle table or do you prefer one with legs at each corner. I am in the process of building a new dining table and chairs, and put this to my wife. She vetoed the trestle table design, and I agreed with her. It looks less work, but then you have to live with something that you chose for the wrong reasons. Note that I like a trestle table - built one for the patio, and had a gathering of 10 around it last night. However, it is not our choice for a dining table.

If the design preference you come up with is more work, then just take it slowly, break down the build sequence. That will get you there. I am designing carver chairs, and they are rounded ala MCM. Very daunting at this stage, but I am confident that it can be done.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tony Wilkins
12-16-2023, 8:54 PM
Hi Tony

Put aside for the moment what is easier or less complicated a design, and ask yourself what you want the finished product (table) to look like. Do you want a trestle table or do you prefer one with legs at each corner. I am in the process of building a new dining table and chairs, and put this to my wife. She vetoed the trestle table design, and I agreed with her. It looks less work, but then you have to live with something that you chose for the wrong reasons. Note that I like a trestle table - built one for the patio, and had a gathering of 10 around it last night. However, it is not our choice for a dining table.

If the design preference you come up with is more work, then just take it slowly, break down the build sequence. That will get you there. I am designing carver chairs, and they are rounded ala MCM. Very daunting at this stage, but I am confident that it can be done.

Regards from Perth

Derek
I probably would have tried to make a traditional 4 corner table but the bride prefers a trestle design to answer you post. Same as I would have done a Harvard shaker style but she wants something more beefy.

Tom Bender
12-17-2023, 2:51 PM
The stretcher on that Fine Woodworking table looks like it could cause some scraped shins. Be sure to round it generously.

Philip Glover
12-17-2023, 8:30 PM
The stretcher on that Fine Woodworking table looks like it could cause some scraped shins. Be sure to round it generously.

The table is somewhat deceptive due to the perspective from the cell phone camera.
The top is 30" wide and my 6'4" sons legs don't come close to touching the stretcher.

Phil

Tony Wilkins
01-11-2024, 6:51 PM
Here’s the wood I have for the base structure…

Mark Rainey
01-11-2024, 7:26 PM
some nice sticks Tony. Do you have one long enough to be a stretcher ( approximately 60 inches ) do you have any 6/4 or 8/4 stock? Show your wife this trestle base and see if she likes it. I, too, did an edge joint with hot hide glue for the table top. The base has been fun to work on - it is all bridle joints - it is sturdy without glue, but I will use glue when I deliver it to my son and daughter in law when they move in their new townhouse.

Tony Wilkins
01-11-2024, 7:30 PM
some nice sticks Tony. Do you have one long enough to be a stretcher ( approximately 60 inches ) do you have any 6/4 or 8/4 stock? Show your wife this trestle base and see if she likes it. I, too, did an edge joint with hot hide glue for the table top. The base has been fun to work on - it is all bridle joints - it is sturdy without glue, but I will use glue when I deliver it to my son and daughter in law when they move in their new townhouse.

all of it except the one piece laying on top of the poplar is 8/4. That piece is about 5 or 6/4. That board is about 12’ but it has a crook.

Jack Frederick
01-12-2024, 9:49 AM
So many good options for the stretcher. One thing I will offer on the table I built is taht with the stretcher high up under the table the space below the table has become the fort for the Grandkids and their friends and with an 84” table a lot of them can fit under there. Oh, and the dogs need a place to hide out too. It is about 6 yrs old now and no racking whatsoever.

Tony Wilkins
01-12-2024, 12:28 PM
So many good options for the stretcher. One thing I will offer on the table I built is taht with the stretcher high up under the table the space below the table has become the fort for the Grandkids and their friends and with an 84” table a lot of them can fit under there. Oh, and the dogs need a place to hide out too. It is about 6 yrs old now and no racking whatsoever.

Thanks. We’re leaning towards that design.