PDA

View Full Version : Venturing down the Maksiwa path ...

Jeremy Williams
12-12-2023, 11:25 AM
While I was not familiar with the brand, I took a gamble and placed an order for the newly released Maksiwa BMS.1600.IR sliding table saw. I used to own a Felder/Hammer combo machine with slider, then went back to a SawStop ICS (second one I've owned) with the Harvey Compass slider ... but ultimately decided to return to a true slider. I danced around with the idea of many brands, but ultimately settled in on this saw due to price, features, and need (hobby shop).

Only in the first days of ownership ... but things are starting off really well. The saw was VERY well calibrated out of the box, the components are of high quality and finish, and assembly was easy.

Figured I'd post this here as there is not tons of information out there on the saw or brand. As I get more time on the machine, I'll have a stronger opinion, but right now things look promising.

https://maksiwa.com/usa/product/bms-1600-ir/

Edward Weber
12-12-2023, 11:31 AM
Congrats on the new saw

Matthew Windholtz
12-12-2023, 11:41 AM
I look forward to more details as you go. A couple questions. What is the approximate cost range of that saw? What other sliders did you consider and how did you make your decision? Thanks!

John Kananis
12-12-2023, 11:50 AM
Looks very nice, I'll keep an eye on this thread and thanks for posting.

Jim Becker
12-12-2023, 1:55 PM
Looks like a very nice machine! Congrats!

Dan Barber
12-12-2023, 2:03 PM
I'd like to hear more about this machine and what drove your choice, particularly the price point of this one and longer term what your experience with it is like. Congrats by the way!

Jeremy Williams
12-13-2023, 9:38 AM
I look forward to more details as you go. A couple questions. What is the approximate cost range of that saw? What other sliders did you consider and how did you make your decision? Thanks!

The cost was just under $6k shipped. This is the "smaller" version of their saw and would be right for a garage or small shop (mine is 1,000 sqft).

I looked at just about everything from antique, retired beasts to the most modern flesh-sensing Felder. Prices ranged from $2,500 (used, old) to $30,000 (new, leading tech). From Felder and Hammer, to Cantek and Grizzly. I might have even dreamed for a minute on a Martin, but then I woke up.

Why this saw?
- Size. It fit my shop.
- Price. It fit my budget.
- Features .... this is really where it shines coupled with the above. At this price point it includes a lot ... 5HP main motor, 1HP scoring motor, two flip stops, overhead blade guard, digital fence readout.

My concerns were the lack of information out there. They are based in Brazil and have offices in Miami, FL (likely for distribution). However, these saws really aren't that complex, and I'm convinced the super expensive ones are better marketing than anything else. Having owned a Felder Hammer prior, I can tell you already this is definitely NOT worse (in many ways better, or exactly the same). The components are beefy, the top is dead flat and ground beautifully, the aluminum is thick and flat, the slider moves nicely, and so far the accuracy is dead on perfect out of the box.

Time will tell!

Bill Dufour
12-13-2023, 9:46 PM
Brazil, the delta jointers and planers were made in Brazil as far back as the 1980's.
Bill D

Matthew Hills
12-15-2023, 7:41 PM
Dusty lumber co has a YouTube video talking about sliders. He got the maksiwa

Jim Becker
12-16-2023, 10:55 AM
Dusty lumber co has a YouTube video talking about sliders. He got the maksiwa
Interestingly, he's been doing a lot of videos recently for SCM on Instagram, too.

Aaron Inami
12-16-2023, 8:33 PM
Interestingly, he's been doing a lot of videos recently for SCM on Instagram, too.

I saw the initial video 1-1/2 years ago when he got the Maksiwa. About 8 months ago, he ended up purchasing an expensive SCM Nova si 400. Kind of makes you wonder why, lol. Maybe he just needed another saw.

Bill Dufour
12-17-2023, 6:27 PM
After ww2 several Germans set up a machine tool company in Brazil and made good metal working lathes. I have no idea if delta company ownership was similar or not. People who would know have said the Brazil lathes had similarities to German designs. Nardini and Romi are the makes I know of.
I think a good deal of Starrett measuring equipment is made in Brazil now a days.
Bill D

John Kananis
01-30-2024, 11:18 AM
Hey Jeremy, wondering how you're enjoying the saw and if you have any good or bad feelings about your purchase. I'm not ordering a new saw tomorrow or anything but my uni is going to turn into a dado machine at some point and that Maksiwa looks like a pretty awesome price/performance compromise juxtaposed to the euro machines.

Jeremy Williams
01-31-2024, 12:30 PM
Very, very good so far. Like better than the euro Hammer I owned prior, however not by miles (it's just similar with some improvements). So far, so good.

John Kananis
01-31-2024, 3:06 PM
That's great to hear and saying that's is better than the hammer is quite a statement. I'm curious, better in what ways?

Very, very good so far. Like better than the euro Hammer I owned prior, however not by miles (it's just similar with some improvements). So far, so good.

Jeremy Williams
02-01-2024, 11:34 AM
That's great to hear and saying that's is better than the hammer is quite a statement. I'm curious, better in what ways?

Well, again not by miles ... but better without question. The Hammer is the low-end line for Felder, and is really about 10 years old on design and quality in every way. While I liked the saw, I never loved it.

The Maksiwa I have is far closer to the Felder quality, from the aluminum pieces to the quality of the cast iron.

What I like better (in my short time of ownership, keep in mind!)
- Fit & finish is superior (aluminum, cast iron, painted steel)
- Cast iron is ground smoother and better in my opinion
- Overhead dust guard with swing away design (my Hammer didn't have this)
- Placement of the power switches and main power kill switch
- Ease of the slider itself under a heavy load
- Included digital fence gauge (which has proven thus far to remain accurate)
- Sound ... overall a lower sound and cold start is less harsh
- Included heavy-duty hold down clamp for sliding table (I bought one for my Hammer too, and it was heavy duty, but rusted immediately. This one is polished and is doing well so far)
- Small storage area and back end of sliding table (good to drop small things in or use as a handle)

What I don't love so far (but also can't say the Hammer was better)
- Form and function of the sliding table's fence when needing to cut angles. It's great at 90 degrees, but changing it to use for angles is not best design.
- Quality of the included miter gauge (works, just not heavy duty, feels cheap)

John Kananis
02-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Jeremy, thank you for being so thorough in your description. This saw becomes more appealing every time I look it up (along with the price tbh). Would you go into a little more detail on moving the fence to specific angles? How cumbersome is it? And do you have to recalibrate it to 90 or does it just come back in line?

Well, again not by miles ... but better without question. The Hammer is the low-end line for Felder, and is really about 10 years old on design and quality in every way. While I liked the saw, I never loved it.

The Maksiwa I have is far closer to the Felder quality, from the aluminum pieces to the quality of the cast iron.

What I like better (in my short time of ownership, keep in mind!)
- Fit & finish is superior (aluminum, cast iron, painted steel)
- Cast iron is ground smoother and better in my opinion
- Overhead dust guard with swing away design (my Hammer didn't have this)
- Placement of the power switches and main power kill switch
- Ease of the slider itself under a heavy load
- Included digital fence gauge (which has proven thus far to remain accurate)
- Sound ... overall a lower sound and cold start is less harsh
- Included heavy-duty hold down clamp for sliding table (I bought one for my Hammer too, and it was heavy duty, but rusted immediately. This one is polished and is doing well so far)
- Small storage area and back end of sliding table (good to drop small things in or use as a handle)

What I don't love so far (but also can't say the Hammer was better)
- Form and function of the sliding table's fence when needing to cut angles. It's great at 90 degrees, but changing it to use for angles is not best design.
- Quality of the included miter gauge (works, just not heavy duty, feels cheap)

Jeremy Williams
02-02-2024, 7:19 AM
I’ll do you one better and take a video and post it to my YouTube channel then drop a link here. Might take me a day or two.

John Kananis
02-02-2024, 9:04 AM
Wow, that's awesome, Jeremy. Thank you for taking some of your time to do this.

I’ll do you one better and take a video and post it to my YouTube channel then drop a link here. Might take me a day or two.

Jeremy Williams
02-06-2024, 7:20 PM
Here you go!
https://youtu.be/ZlOFWqK_AYs?si=qB4hkYqvwlW59CPO

John Kananis
02-06-2024, 8:13 PM
Thank you so much!!

Here you go!
https://youtu.be/ZlOFWqK_AYs?si=qB4hkYqvwlW59CPO

Edit: wow, setting the fence at an angle really is absurd, you weren't kidding.

Aaron Inami
02-06-2024, 11:03 PM
Yikes, that's some pretty bad engineering on Maksiwa'a part.