PDA

View Full Version : veritas hold down handle

Mark Rainey
12-12-2023, 9:38 AM
I have a Veritas bench hold down. The brass handle can be a pain to twist. 511923I saw Christian Becksvoort had a molded handle for use on the tool.
Any ideas on how I could fashion a comfortable handle? Epoxy mold? Wood? Thanks.

Jamie Buxton
12-12-2023, 10:41 AM
On the Lee Valley site, there are pics which show that the handle is threaded on to a threaded shaft, and secured by at least one set screw. It seems like you could undo the set screw, remove the existing handle, and replace it with another handle. The new handle would have the same thread pitch. Threaded knobs are available from Lee Valley, Woodcraft, and McMaster-Carr.

Richard Coers
12-12-2023, 11:11 AM
Record made one with a T bar through the threaded shaft. That's what I have and it works great. So maybe you can find a coupling nut of the right thread and just drill a hole through it.

Phil Gaudio
12-12-2023, 1:45 PM
This is a great holdfast, although the ergonomics of the knob could be improved. My solution (I think this is referred to as a pump wrench):

https://i.postimg.cc/dtv0w7jj/IMG-4046.jpg (https://postimg.cc/rznT9wbD)

https://i.postimg.cc/Yq3C9pXK/IMG-4047.jpg (https://postimg.cc/TpK6NXMC)

Tom M King
12-12-2023, 2:43 PM
That’s called a service wrench.

George Yetka
12-12-2023, 3:05 PM
Not sure if these threads would match but these are pretty comfy. They have a rubber overmold
https://www.rockler.com/rockler-easy-to-grip-5-star-knobs-threaded-stud

Dan Barber
12-12-2023, 3:23 PM
Know anyone with a 3D printer? It would be pretty straightforward to print a press fit larger knob to work with that. If you wanted to send me the knob, I would design and print one and send it back to you. All it would cost you is one way postage.

Doug Garson
12-12-2023, 3:26 PM
Not that hard to make a wooden knob that fits over the brass handle. Cut a disc in a piece of hardwood or plywood the diameter you want, trace out the existing brass handle, use a Forstner bit to remove most of the waste and use a sharp chisel to get the final shape, epoxy or CA glue it in place. Wrap the outside with some grip tape and you're done in under an hour and one less piece of scrap wood in your scrap pile.

Mark Rainey
12-12-2023, 4:58 PM
Thanks for all the good suggestions everyone! Dan, I will PM you! Mark

Dan Barber
12-21-2023, 10:19 AM
Mark sent me the Veritas brass knob, yesterday I designed and 3D printed a much larger knob that should be more comfortable to handle. I printed it with ABS filament and while it was still warm from printing, I slid it onto the brass knob after cooling it's a shrink fit and I'm pretty sure it won't easily come off. I'll be mailing it back to Mark today!

Patrick McCarthy
12-21-2023, 12:21 PM
Dan, you are a class act. Good on you, sir.

Michael Burnside
12-21-2023, 12:23 PM

100% and it looks great too!

Carl Beckett
12-21-2023, 12:27 PM
Very nice Dan. I especially like the texture on the top surface - how was that done?

Dan Barber
12-21-2023, 12:42 PM
Very nice Dan. I especially like the texture on the top surface - how was that done?

Hi Carl, That is a side effect of the Textured Print plate in my Bambu Carbon X1. The top of the knob is the first layer being printed and consequently it mirrors the surface of the print plate. Said another way the knob is printed upside down. I like that effect.

Dan Barber
12-21-2023, 12:45 PM
I have received a request from another user for two of these knob covers / expanders. Is there anyone else that would like one?

Carl Beckett
12-21-2023, 4:24 PM
Hi Carl, That is a side effect of the Textured Print plate in my Bambu Carbon X1. The top of the knob is the first layer being printed and consequently it mirrors the surface of the print plate. Said another way the knob is printed upside down. I like that effect.

Understood - this is why I wondered. I use blue tape sometimes on my bed but it doesnt give that texture (gives 'some' texture but that came out nice). So was wondering.

Frederick Skelly
12-21-2023, 4:34 PM
+1. Well done Dan!

Dan Barber
12-21-2023, 4:43 PM
Understood - this is why I wondered. I use blue tape sometimes on my bed but it doesnt give that texture (gives 'some' texture but that came out nice). So was wondering.

Yes, it's pretty neat Carl. I really like this Bambu printer. The removable print plates are great, they have several available. They are pretty thin, like 18 gauge and they attach magnetically to the main bed. The best part is; when the print is done you can get the plate to flex by removing it from the main bed, the flex breaks the printed part loose form the plate, easy-peasy.

The printer was retirement gift from my company, I had a Flashforge before this. No comparison, it's now at my sons house.

Don Peters
12-21-2023, 7:18 PM
I'd like 2 please. Thanks,
dp

Dan Barber
12-21-2023, 7:48 PM
Thanks Don,
I've got two for you. If you don't mind, please PM me your address when it's convenient.

Aaron Liebling
12-21-2023, 11:22 PM
If you're willing, I'd love live 2 as well. Happy to PayPal the shipping cost. Will message you

Mark Rainey
12-26-2023, 12:40 PM
It's a beauty Dan! I can tighten my Veritas hold down comfortably now. Thank you!!

Dan Barber
12-26-2023, 1:10 PM
It's a beauty Dan! I can tighten my Veritas hold down comfortably now. Thank you!!

So pleased to be able to help Mark. Enjoy!

Michael Burnside
12-26-2023, 2:18 PM
Dang, looks stock to me!

Gordon Dale
12-26-2023, 6:17 PM
SMC at its best!

Tony Shea
12-27-2023, 5:14 PM
SMC at its best!

Exactly my wife's and I exact words 2 minutes ago. SMC never ceases to amaze me with the generosity and tight community here. I'm proud to be a member of SMC and look forward to visiting almost every day after a long day of work.

Dan, I can't express how appreciative I am to see you donate your time and energy to help others and myself out to make a good tool into an amazingly useful tool! Just an amazing place here at SMC....I guess I already said that.

Dan Barber
12-27-2023, 5:35 PM
Thanks all for the kind words. I have been incredibly blessed in life, I have spent my life learning, earning and growing as a person for 45+ years of working. I have now reached the point in life here I can give back to others. I love to solve problems and design solutions to those problems. That was my career as an automation engineer and it's just stuck to me now. I've added a little feature that should make it easy for the folks about to get their knobs. I have included a brass threaded insert that is heat set into the knob, included will be a brass set screw and allen wrench that will allow securing the "over knob" to the original. I'm waiting for some boxes, tape and allen wrenches (Come on Amazon). Once those arrive, I'll be sending these out.

Mark Rainey
12-28-2023, 10:12 AM
Nice modification Dan! I am very happy with mine - I suppose I have the only "original" handle, and perhaps my children can sell it on eBay for big bucks after I am gone!