PDA

View Full Version : Removing shellac without sanding

Patty Hann
12-11-2023, 10:46 PM
I built a jig about a year ago,--mdf--that I need to modify (and it would be too time consuming to just build another one).
I used spray shellac on it (can, Zinnser dewaxed), and so need to remove the shellac in a half dozen places where I have to glue on the new modded pieces.
Each place measures about 2 inches square.
IS there a way to remove the shellac without sanding? Would alcohol or Acetone wipe down take it off?
I will sand it if I have to but would prefer not to.

Richard Coers
12-11-2023, 11:07 PM
If you let denatured alcohol sit on the shellac for a few minutes it will soften and remove the shellac. It will likely not remove it from the pores of the wood, so I can't vouch for the quality of a glue joint.

Andrew Hughes
12-11-2023, 11:09 PM
Ammonia absolutely destroys shellac fast. Alcohol is what I use most of the time or a card scraper.
I use ammonia for my brushes
Good Luck

Jerry Bruette
12-11-2023, 11:09 PM
Alcohol will remove the shellac but I don't know what it'll do to the mdf. Might make it swell and you'll have to sand it a bit.

Greg Quenneville
12-12-2023, 3:13 AM
In fact the alcohol doesn’t affect the MDF at all. I use shellac based Zinsser B-I-N for priming edges of MDF and never have issues.

Rich Engelhardt
12-12-2023, 9:41 AM
Nothing says you have to use PVA glue.
You could always just hit it with CA and activator.

Maybe drill out a hole and glue in a dowel after the ca if you think it needs more strength.

Stan Calow
12-12-2023, 11:45 AM
. . . or epoxy

Josko Catipovic
12-13-2023, 7:22 PM
Ammonia absolutely destroys shellac fast. Alcohol is what I use most of the time or a card scraper.
I use ammonia for my brushes
Good Luck
Thanks for the ammonia hint, Andrew. It was just the ticket for getting shellac out of crevasses of a carving I've been trying to clean up. I'm amazed I haven't heard of it before.

Patty Hann
12-14-2023, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the ammonia hint, Andrew. It was just the ticket for getting shellac out of crevasses of a carving I've been trying to clean up. I'm amazed I haven't heard of it before.
How did you apply it? Use a cloth? or a brush?... and if a brush, is synthetic bristles OK? Thanks

Josko Catipovic
12-15-2023, 6:21 AM
How did you apply it? Use a cloth? or a brush?... and if a brush, is synthetic bristles OK? Thanks
Mostly Q-tips, in my case, and cotton balls cleaned up the larger areas.

Patty Hann
12-15-2023, 3:44 PM
Mostly Q-tips, in my case, and cotton balls cleaned up the larger areas.
Thanks for the info :)