PDA

View Full Version : Oreo's

Rick Potter
12-11-2023, 2:10 PM
Not wanting to step on the Ritz cracker thread, so....

Am I the only one who thinks that Oreo's are getting smaller in diameter, as well as thinner in the cookie part. It's already pretty obvious that the filling is less.

My wife says I am wrong about this. I say they are shrinking in all directions.

Another first world problem.

George Yetka
12-11-2023, 2:23 PM
Rick

Could you be growing?

Jim Koepke
12-11-2023, 2:26 PM
Rick

Could you be growing?

LOL!

jtk

George Yetka
12-11-2023, 3:20 PM
I havent noticed shrinkage in oreos but that is by design. They probably did knock a little off the diameter. Figure .05" off the diameter would be hard to notice but it would take off quite a bit of product. Which by the box may not add up to that much but by the year they may save millions.

Perry Hilbert Jr
12-11-2023, 3:29 PM
Every product changes sizes and thicknesses over time. I remember a furor back around 1958 when Hershey bars shrank slightly. I live near a very peculiar grocery store that carries end runs, experimental runs, mis labeled items and all kinds of bizarre groceries. They do routinely have Oreo's, maybe 9 months of the year. We bought some small packs for my wife's lunches at work and a big package for the family. Then there are double stuffs, triple stuffs, pumpkin spice, vanilla, mint stuffed, some alien looking red creme filling and I can't remember what all. I do remember that the ones in the big pack were about 2mm less in diameter then the ones in the lunch packs. Noticed the same last month with fig newtons. the lunch packs were actually slightly larger cookies.

I remember when the average Reese's peanut butter cup was 4 oz. and Campbell soups were in 15 oz cans. Tuna also used to be in larger standard cans. the average can of soda is still 12 oz, but lately I am seeing a lot of 7 oz cans. They shrank from the 8 oz cans of 25 years ago. Even hot dog packages seem to have shrunk. 16 oz to 12 oz and now to 10 oz. Used to be ice cream was sold in gallons or half gallons. those shrunk too.

Bruce Page
12-11-2023, 3:34 PM
I only buy the super-sized Oreo's. :D

Patty Hann
12-11-2023, 3:54 PM
Not wanting to step on the Ritz cracker thread, so....

Am I the only one who thinks that Oreo's are getting smaller in diameter, as well as thinner in the cookie part. It's already pretty obvious that the filling is less.

My wife says I am wrong about this. I say they are shrinking in all directions.

Another first world problem.
I have always eaten Oreos and Fig Newtons (and Archway Gingersnaps and Windmill cookies and Pepperidge Farm Chessmen)
Oreo have gotten smaller. The packages have gotten smaller too.
The Family Size package used to be the standard size package, or very close to it.

Bill Dufour
12-11-2023, 4:53 PM
Perry sounds like grocery outlet. they should have one in every college town. Just bought some Welchs sangria there. The garlic bologana is interesting.
Bill D

Pat Germain
12-11-2023, 5:18 PM
https://www.ndtv.com/feature/shrinkflation-oreo-fans-claim-cookie-has-less-filling-company-responds-4572653#:~:text=One%20user%20even%20shared%20how,p ackets%20are%20only%20530%20grams.

Mel Fulks
12-11-2023, 5:51 PM
Some might be confusing “double stuffs” with traditional Oreos. And why don’t they use that sweet song anymore? Little Girls Have
Pretty Curls ,but I like Oreos ….

Thomas McCurnin
12-11-2023, 6:19 PM
Not sure I understand the concern, as food products are sold by weight.

Stan Calow
12-11-2023, 6:53 PM
Rick! you are not imagining things. Yes they have shrunk both in diameter and in the amount of filling. Oreos are a longtime staple in our diet so we've been observing this phenomenon for years. Others have noted this as well. A recent article in the Wall Street Journal titled "
The Biggest ‘Shrinkflation’ Scandal Yet: Oreo Fans Think Cookies Have Less Filling".

I cant link to it but you might be able to google it up. Someone observed that the "double stuff" Oreos are about the same amount of filling as the regular used to be.

And no they are not sold by weight,but by package size. The weight of the packages shrinks while the price stays the same. I'm looking at a "Party-size" pack of Oreos at 1 lb 9.5 ounces, that used to be 24 ounces.

Rick, don't let your wife gaslight you.

Alan Lightstone
12-11-2023, 7:15 PM
And no they are not sold by weight, but by package size. The weight of the packages shrinks while the price stays the same. I'm looking at a "Party-size" pack of Oreos at 1 lb 9.5 ounces, that used to be 24 ounces.
Um, isn't 1 lb,9.5oz = 25.5oz, which I think my MIT degree said is greater than 24 oz. Though, sadly, I don't think my MIT degree is worth what it used to be...

Stan Calow
12-11-2023, 7:37 PM
Um, isn't 1 lb,9.5oz = 25.5oz, which I think my MIT degree said is greater than 24 oz. Though, sadly, I don't think my MIT degree is worth what it used to be...

You're right Alan, and I did mean to say 28 oz but was too excited to discuss one of my pet peeves.

julian abram
12-11-2023, 11:44 PM
This is a very deep and interesting topic. I would recommend skipping the "standard" and "double stuff" Oreos, only buy the "Mega" Oreos. With "Megas" you no longer worry about size or weight. It does make me very sad to watch my daughter scrape all the Mega icing into the trash before dropping the remaining cookie in a glass of milk. :)

Mel Fulks
12-12-2023, 1:06 AM
Makes me sad too. I suggest telling her , “ To save the icing for DAD”

Patty Hann
12-12-2023, 1:16 AM
Just plain Trad Oreos for me, dunked in very cold milk.
When I was still at home a package of Oreos weighed 16 oz. and there was only one size (and one flavor), excepting the vending machine package of 6

Jim Koepke
12-12-2023, 1:58 AM

I like my milk so very cold I know just how long it takes in the freezer until ice forms its first layer of slushy milk across the top.

jtk

Rick Potter
12-12-2023, 3:49 AM
I have to confess. At bedtime I am a milk and cookies guy. My fave is HARD raisin oatmeal cookies.

Don't tell anyone.

Ronald Blue
12-12-2023, 7:46 AM
When I was still at home a package of Oreos weighed 16 oz. and there was only one size (and one flavor), excepting the vending machine package of 6

Dunking Oreo's in milk is an addiction all it's own. To late for me to be rehabbed now though.

I was able to kick the habit of home squeezed milk from a Jersey cow though. Fond memories of the creamy bits on my cereal though. Growing up on the farm was a wonderful thing.....

Brian Elfert
12-12-2023, 12:21 PM
Not sure I understand the concern, as food products are sold by weight.

Sure, but they reduce the weight by say 10%, and still sell for the same price. They might keep the cookie count the same, but then reduce the size of the individual cookies. Nobody is accusing the manufacturers of not changing the weights on the package.

A lot of people would rather pay a little more than have the product size or package size reduced.

Jim Becker
12-12-2023, 1:52 PM
Sure, but they reduce the weight by say 10%, and still sell for the same price. They might keep the cookie count the same, but then reduce the size of the individual cookies. Nobody is accusing the manufacturers of not changing the weights on the package.

A lot of people would rather pay a little more than have the product size or package size reduced.
That's called "ShrinkFlation" and has been a trend for awhile now...sadly. Same price for less stuff, basically, even though visually, it appears you are getting the same thing when it's on the store shelf.

Ole Anderson
12-13-2023, 8:01 AM
Since they have been available, we have only buying the Oreo "Thins" in an effort to reduce our sugar intake. As I am allergic to chocolate (and diabetic), we prefer the lemon stuffed vanilla ones.

Perry Hilbert Jr
12-13-2023, 12:35 PM
it is a little independent out fit, but often has the same stuff as the Grocery Outlet store nearby. Just sometimes a lot stranger. 15 yrs ago, they had Hawaiian Bread and Butter pickles. Each jar had pineapple chunks in with the pickles, as well as a jalapeno pepper. Sweet and far too hot. I never eat potato chips but one day they had Bacon Maple flavored chips. Bacon and Maple are my favs so I bought a bag and went back for a case.

You mention garlic bologna. round here there is something called ring bologna. coarse ground meat, cured and smoked inside a 3 inch diameter casing that is tied into a ring shape. i.e. ring bologna, available plain, garlic or honey. great stuff. nothing like the Oscar Mayer crap.

Michael Weber
12-14-2023, 11:02 AM
We enjoy the occasional DiGiorno Supreme pizza. The pepperoni on them has become paper thin. You literally cannot pull a piece off to enjoy on its own. They just tear.