PDA

View Full Version : Used Hammer A3-31/41 Where to look?

Rick Jacobs
12-11-2023, 12:38 PM
After a lot of searching, the Hammer A3-31/41 (or possibly the SCM Minimax) with a helical head, is my next piece of shop equipment. Where would I look for either machine used? I've tried the usual suspects, FB Marketplace (seems to be limited to local only), Craigslist (seems to be losing popularity) and even "sold" listing on ebay (no hits). Even this forum seems like it hasn't had a listing for a Hammer planer in the past year.
I know these machines are rare, but some folks on this forum mention finding a used one.
So any hints on a site that sells these?
Greatly appreciated.

ps. I haven't had much luck with used equipment companies like Machinio - they seem too close to full retail for used equipment.

Aaron Inami
12-11-2023, 1:01 PM
Felder's used marketplace:
https://www.world4machines.com/en-us

Wood web
https://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/exchanges/machinery.cgi

Machinery Max auctions
https://machinerymax.com/?ViewFilter=Current

Patrick Kane
12-11-2023, 1:37 PM
Rick,

Unfortunately, you are looking for a rarer kind of equipment. Im sure you are looking in all the right places, but i personally havent seen many felder/hammer listings in the last few months. Similarly, i used to see a Martin saw a month, and the last year has been a Martin saw every quarter. I think the used machine market is still pretty limited on supply and stuff doesnt sit for weeks/months. I would suggest getting comfortable with buying something very far away and dealing with the headache of shipping it, or buy new. I am skeptical you will find a J/P machine with a healical head within an hour or two of you within the next year.

Rick Jacobs
12-11-2023, 1:55 PM
Felder's used marketplace:
https://www.world4machines.com/en-us

Wood web
https://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/exchanges/machinery.cgi

Machinery Max auctions
https://machinerymax.com/?ViewFilter=Current

Thanks for these links!!

mike stenson
12-11-2023, 1:56 PM
Might also check out the felder owners group.

Rick Jacobs
12-11-2023, 1:57 PM
Thanks for the realistic outlook. I know these are pretty rare and may have to wait it out, or splurge. I am willing to drive a day or two.
Good, cheap or fast, pick any two.

Rick,

Unfortunately, you are looking for a rarer kind of equipment. Im sure you are looking in all the right places, but i personally havent seen many felder/hammer listings in the last few months. Similarly, i used to see a Martin saw a month, and the last year has been a Martin saw every quarter. I think the used machine market is still pretty limited on supply and stuff doesnt sit for weeks/months. I would suggest getting comfortable with buying something very far away and dealing with the headache of shipping it, or buy new. I am skeptical you will find a J/P machine with a healical head within an hour or two of you within the next year.

Jim Becker
12-11-2023, 2:04 PM
Rick, just keep monitoring a bunch of potential marketplaces and be ready to commit when something comes up. But also set a time limit and/or monitor sale pricing on new. You're going to be paying good money even for used on these machines and if the delta between used and new with promotional pricing is close enough, order a new one.

Rick Jacobs
12-11-2023, 2:04 PM
Slightly off topic..
There is a Hammer A3 41D/11 planer with Helical head locally available for $3k. It is a 2011 model. Is that a fair price?

mike stenson
12-11-2023, 2:05 PM
Slightly off topic..
There is a Hammer A3 41D/11 planer with Helical head locally available for $3k. It is a 2011 model. Is that a fair price?

They're about 6 currently. Generally not production type tools. If I had found one for that price locally, I'd have jumped on it.

Rick Jacobs
12-11-2023, 2:09 PM
Sorry if this posted twice?
Slightly off topic..

George Yetka
12-11-2023, 2:17 PM
Sorry if this posted twice?
Slightly off topic..

Very good price, they are about 7 new. I bought my 31 for 3900 in 2015. For a 1000 more I could of had the 41. Now they are almost double. Kicking myself.

Christopher Charles
12-11-2023, 2:46 PM
I agree you are on a bit of a unicorn hunt. It is possible to find something though, and you're in a location better than me. I watched for about 4 months, essentially gave up and nearly put a deposit on a new a3-41. Then found a minimax a couple hours away on CL.

And yes, I agree that planer is going for a good price.

Greg Parrish
12-11-2023, 2:58 PM
The new ones are on sale right now, but the used one for $3k is a steal if its in good shape and functions well. https://www.felder-group.com/en-us/shop/jointer-planers-jointers-planers-sc613746/jointer-planer-hammer-a3-41-incl-silent-power-cutterblock-sp979098

Rick Jacobs
12-11-2023, 3:49 PM
I think I did a bait-n-switch on you guys.
The 2011 model available locally is a only a planer (Model A3 41D) but it does have a Helical Cutter and has a 3KW motor. It seems to look like it's in decent condition.
Here's a link on Felder's site (https://www.felder-group.com/en-us/products/jointer-planers-jointers-planers-c1948/planer-a3-41d-p3149)
So is $3k a still a fair price?
Thank you!

Lisa Starr
12-11-2023, 4:05 PM
I find keeping the search less specific really helps on FB.
i just searched and found a A3-31 currently for sale as well as a couple Felder combo machines. I'm on the wrong coast for you though.

Rick Jacobs
12-11-2023, 5:12 PM
Thanks. I found it, but he's asking $200 more than a new (in stock) machine???

I find keeping the search less specific really helps on FB.
i just searched and found a A3-31 currently for sale as well as a couple Felder combo machines. I'm on the wrong coast for you though.

Rod Sheridan
12-11-2023, 5:37 PM
Contact Felder and let them know you’re looking for a used machine, they receive them as trades or know of customers who are selling privately

Regards, Rod

Christopher Charles
12-11-2023, 6:29 PM
Rod suggestion of contacting dealers is a good one-I did that as well and did get a couple leads that didn't pan out.

I did notice that the used one is a planer only. That's still probably a good deal _if_ you have room for separates and you think it makes sense for you to then also find a jointer that will meet your needs.

Cliff Polubinsky
12-11-2023, 6:33 PM
Rick,

Keep in mind that you'll need a jointer to match. Add the price of a 16" jointer to that and you may be approaching new price of a A3 31.

Cliff

I think I did a bait-n-switch on you guys.
The 2011 model available locally is a only a planer (Model A3 41D) but it does have a Helical Cutter and has a 3KW motor. It seems to look like it's in decent condition.
Here's a link on Felder's site (https://www.felder-group.com/en-us/products/jointer-planers-jointers-planers-c1948/planer-a3-41d-p3149)
So is $3k a still a fair price?
Thank you!

Rick Jacobs
12-11-2023, 6:48 PM
I agree. $6.5k-ish for new combo vs $3k for 13yr old planer only.

Rick,
Keep in mind that you'll need a jointer to match. Add the price of a 16" jointer to that and you may be approaching new price of a A3 31.
Cliff

Aaron Inami
12-11-2023, 8:25 PM
Seeing as you can get a 16" Powermatic planer for $4300 or an 16" Oliver for $3200, I would say this is not that great of a price.

Also, 16" stand-alone jointers are significantly more expensive than the combo machines (starting at about $9k for a 16" Oliver jointer).

Erik Loza
12-12-2023, 9:35 AM
When it comes to used machinery, from my time in the industry, the price (whatever that price happens to be) is only worth it if you can drive within a few hours and pick it up yourself. The moment “it needs to be crated and shipped” comes into the picture, the risk-to-cost ratio starts to not look so good. Yes, those magical deals exist but based on what I saw, customers who prioritize that usually ended up never finding the machine they were dreaming of. Not saying this to dissuade anyone but just had many of these types of conversations when I was in the biz.

Erik

Robert London
12-13-2023, 10:15 AM
I would probably save up and just buy a new one at some current used prices.

Hammer has 16”JP helical combo machines on sale for 6k. Minimax had some machines on sale for 15-20% just last week.

I picked up Grizzly’s new South Bend 20” helical planer last month. It’s on sale for under $4000. 5 hp, variable speed feed. At the height of Covid it was $5400.

Prices are coming down on new machinery.

Rick Jacobs
12-13-2023, 5:24 PM
Thanks for that info. I appreciate it.
Thanks to everyone that weighed in.

Jonathan Biccum
05-27-2024, 1:11 PM
I know it’s been a few months, but we’re up in Eau Claire and recently came to the conclusion that we’ll be moving to be near my wife’s family. As a result I’ll likely be selling all of my big equipment including an A3 31 in exquisite condition including mobility kit and maintenance kit. Not sure if you’re still looking but figured I’d let you know.