PDA

View Full Version : "Original" Ritz crackers

Stephen Tashiro
12-11-2023, 4:21 AM
The crackers sold nowadays as "original" Ritz crackers are not the Ritz cracker that I remember from my youth. Modern Ritz crackers are better. They are flaky and sightly buttery. As I remember the the Ritz crackers of yore, they were darker, crisp not flaky, and they had distinctive taste that's hard to describe - perhaps "overcooked whole wheat flavor" captures it. Was there an "original" Ritz cracker before the cracker than I remember?
"

Maurice Mcmurry
12-11-2023, 7:20 AM
Lard and tropical oils might be the source of the old fashioned taste. "Made in Mexico" might have something to do with the change as well.

Bruce Wrenn
12-11-2023, 9:14 AM
Haven't eaten a genuine RITZ brand cracker in years, but have and still do, eat a bunch of Aldi's knock offs.

Maurice Mcmurry
12-11-2023, 9:32 AM
We have several things that we prefer Aldi for. Dairy mostly. I try to be thrifty and not too much of a food snob. Harbor Freight and Aldi share a parking lot at our location. The quality and similarity of the two stores has become a source of humor for us. "Honey I need some cheap gloves, do we need any cheap food?" We are relying on Aldi more and more.

Zachary Hoyt
12-11-2023, 10:04 AM
For us Aldi is our "upscale" grocery store. We drive over to Saranac Lake about once a month to get things there. Our regular grocery store is Save-A-Lot, which is a bit lower on the food chain. We could go all the way to Lake Placid for Price Chopper and Hannaford, and we do occasionally to get a large bottle of olive oil or something.

Bill Dufour
12-11-2023, 11:41 AM
I see housewives bring in empty gallon glass jugs to buy olive oil at the olive oil store near us. Anything to save a buck.
BilL D

Cameron Wood
12-11-2023, 1:19 PM
For this, they recommend low salt Ritz crackers- are those still available?

Maurice Mcmurry
12-12-2023, 6:50 PM
I see housewives bring in empty gallon glass jugs to buy olive oil at the olive oil store near us. Anything to save a buck.
BilL D

Our kids get most of their liquid products at the "Refillery" bring your own container for all kinds of products. I approve of the concept. I have lots of buckets. The one for beer seems to have a hole in it.