PDA

View Full Version : Windsor side chairs completed!

John Keeton
12-09-2023, 8:57 AM
I have chronicled the build of 8 dining side chairs on my FB page, but for those that don't do FB, the chairs are now done! These are a modification and enlargement on the Curtis Buchanan plan for the fan back chair. The modification involved changes in the curvature of the spindle deck, the angles of legs and spindles, height of the crest and its curvature, as well as an enlargement of the seat - challenging, but interesting to do.

They have taken their place at the dining table along with the two comb back Windsors at each end - the first two chairs I built. One of the comb backs is painted black over green, and the other is black over red. The 8 side chairs are a Merlot, which seems to work very well with the comb backs.

These chairs make 23 in all of the Windsors I have built since Covid hit. I have learned a lot!!

Now, all shop time will be spent on building the writing arm chair, though I don't expect to get that chair finished until well after New Years - perhaps even up into February. There is a lot of complexity involved, and much of that takes a lot of time, but I am slowly getting all of the parts completed.

Mods, if this would be more appropriately placed in the Neander forum feel free to move it. Thanks.

John Kananis
12-09-2023, 9:17 AM
John, those are beauties!!! Any chance to get some close up shots?

Dan Barber
12-09-2023, 9:38 AM
Really nice job sir! The chairs are wonderful and the home is stunning to. I love a timber frame house!

Steve Schlumpf
12-09-2023, 10:02 AM
Absolutely stunning work John and the chairs add so much to your already beautiful home! The photos, especially with Eileen's Christmas decorations, look like something out of Country Living magazine! You should be very proud of your creations! Thank you for sharing!

John Keeton
12-09-2023, 11:06 AM
John, those are beauties!!! Any chance to get some close up shots?John, I am not sure what you want close up shots of, but here are a couple of pics I took along the way. If you want others let me know.

And, thanks John, Steve and Dan for the kind words!!

John Kananis
12-09-2023, 11:50 AM
Those are great, I just wanted a better shot of the spindle work. Exemplary work, makes me happy to look at it.

Bruce Page
12-09-2023, 1:21 PM
Incredible work John. As Steve said, they compliment the room beautifully.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-09-2023, 2:15 PM
John, since the very first time I teased you about buying a lathe to turn some legs, pictures of your projects have been inspiring! Well done, Sir! Well done, indeed!

Robert Henrickson
12-09-2023, 3:11 PM
Congratulations! Beautiful. And completed in plenty of time for Christmas dinner.

Mel Fulks
12-09-2023, 5:50 PM
Beautiful authoritative Kingly …and Queenly thrones. Beat That BARKA- LOUNGER Lizards !
And those seats are WARMER than Gold chairs.

Frederick Skelly
12-09-2023, 8:59 PM
Beautiful work Sir!

Roger Chandler
12-09-2023, 9:48 PM
Beautifully skilled work, John! Those would beautifully adorn any dining room. Thanks for posting them.

John Keeton
12-10-2023, 4:41 AM
Thanks to all that have commented and to all that have viewed I would encourage you to build a chair! Not only does it improve your spindle turning skills, it hones so many basic woodworking skills.

Tim Elett
12-10-2023, 5:21 AM
Thanks to all that have commented and to all that have viewed I would encourage you to build a chair! Not only does it improve your spindle turning skills, it hones so many basic woodworking skills.
I can't imagine, the skills to do something like that is way over my pay grade. Beautiful and they match the room so well.

Sam Shankar
12-10-2023, 9:37 AM
beautiful!

David Bolson
12-10-2023, 9:42 AM
Impressive and beautiful!

Jim Hipp
12-10-2023, 10:32 AM
Absolutely stunning work.

John Keeton
12-10-2023, 2:49 PM
Thanks so much to all have taken the time to comment. I appreciate the kind words.

Clark Hussey
12-10-2023, 3:02 PM
John, the chairs are amazing! I would love to be able to build chairs like these. Might be time to start looking into this.

John Keeton
12-10-2023, 7:58 PM
Clark, you should give it a try! It is like other woodworking - one cut at a time. Curtis Buchanan has a YouTube channel with a couple of chair builds start to finish. Well worth watching!