PDA

View Full Version : Found wood was told it is oak

Dale Huntley
12-08-2023, 7:28 PM
511755I have been around this part of
Oregon, most of my life I know white oak but this is not that.
this tree was cut down in south Salem.
I would appreciate any help with identity.
Thanks,
Dale

Mel Fulks
12-08-2023, 9:54 PM
Could be Red Oak , it’s cheaper than white oak and and less rot resistant, but makes good fires.

Bill Howatt
12-09-2023, 9:23 AM
If it is red oak it should have oak rays coming out from the center and being freshly cut should have a definite oak smell.

Mark Wedel
12-09-2023, 1:57 PM
There are a large number of different species of both red and white oak trees. I could imagine even within the broad category of red or white, the different species may vary in characteristics of the wood and other factors.
I could imagine that the person that told you it was oak knew it had acorns, so it was an oak, but beyond that might not have known anything more.

Mel Fulks
12-09-2023, 2:34 PM
If it is red oak it should have oak rays coming out from the center and being freshly cut should have a definite oak smell.

Quiz Show Mode…. “I’m sorry ,Bill….we were looking for MEDULLARY RAYS”

Dale Huntley
12-09-2023, 3:00 PM
Thanks Guys,
The price was right is does have rays, [ok "medullary rays"] Price could not be beat [free]
The green turnings seem to be fairly stable as they are drying.511786
upper left is maple from tree in backyard

Bill Howatt
12-09-2023, 4:28 PM
Quiz Show Mode…. “I’m sorry ,Bill….we were looking for MEDULLARY RAYS”

I'll do what I do when I watch Jeopardy - my answer was good enough for me to count it as correct and I'll file medullary away in the "maybe I learned something" category :)

Bill Howatt
12-09-2023, 4:30 PM
Dale, I'm not a big fan of oak bowls because they look like oak but those are lovely pieces - very nice contrasting wood.