PDA

View Full Version : Calling any Laguna XSD 310 J/P users

Steve Evans
02-04-2006, 12:30 PM
I have commited to purchasing a used XSD 310 J/P with mortiser, sight unseen. It will replace a 8" jointer and a 15" planer. I go and pick it up next week, and I'm wondering if anyone with experience with this unit, can point out any critical areas that I should look at. Likewise, to any users out there, how do you like this unit. Should I hold on to my General Mortiser, or plan on selling it as well.

Thanks

Steve

Jim Becker
02-04-2006, 2:03 PM
I can't comment on the machine you are buying, but suggest you hold on to your General mortiser until you 1) learn how to use the slot mortiser and 2) are satisfied that the slot mortiser is a complete replacement for the type of work you do. Hollow chisel mortisers "can" be easier to use in certain situations, especially with very small workpieces, such as thin Shaker style legs. IMHO, of course!

Steve Evans
02-04-2006, 2:27 PM
Jim

Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking along the same lines myself, and not having any experience with the slot mortiser, I appreciate the input. I'm just in the process of adding a small x-y vise to the mortiser. I think I'll hold off on that for now at least.

Steve