PDA

View Full Version : Delta 46-765X tailstock

Holmes Anderson
12-08-2023, 10:44 AM
One of the known problems with the 46-765X and other Delta lathes of the same basic design is that the tailstock doesn't clamp securely to the ways. Probably not many people still using these lathes but I wonder whether anyone knows of a simple and effective fix before I start trying things because my machine is getting worse. Maybe rough up the surface of the clamp plate or attach a rubber or abrasive sheet to it?

Earl McLain
12-08-2023, 12:00 PM
One of the known problems with the 46-765X and other Delta lathes of the same basic design is that the tailstock doesn't clamp securely to the ways. Probably not many people still using these lathes but I wonder whether anyone knows of a simple and effective fix before I start trying things because my machine is getting worse. Maybe rough up the surface of the clamp plate or attach a rubber or abrasive sheet to it?

Might just be that the bolt down below is a little loose--my first try would be to tighten that a little (start at about 1/8 turn at a time and see if it gets better). Also take a look at the washer that snugs to the underside of the ways--is it bent or worn? Is a suitable replacement available. If those fail...
There's a guy on the IAP (penturners) forum named Rick Herrell who makes tail stock clamp blocks. Some, like the Rikon 70-100 and 70-220 or the Delta 46-460 he keeps on hand...but can custom make anything with the measurement between the ways and the needed bolt hole size. Basically a steel rectangle with a raised area between the ways to create a tighter fit. Rick doesn't have a web site, just posts as a vendor and folks reach out with what they need. Pretty reasonable for those of us without skill in working stainless steel.

Richard Coers
12-08-2023, 1:22 PM
The fix for other lathes has always been changing the round plate that pinches the bed to a square plate to add to the surface area for better grip. Don't know about your lathe without Googling the parts list.

Holmes Anderson
12-10-2023, 9:27 AM
The plate is square. I roughed it up with an angle grinder and tightened the nuts (U-bolt, nuts washers, cam etc. all in good condition) and it still doesn't get a good purchase on the ways. Maybe epoxy thickened with aluminum oxide.

Richard Coers
12-10-2023, 6:33 PM
Maybe extend the tightening bar so you can put more torque on it.

Holmes Anderson
12-12-2023, 3:43 PM
Maybe extend the tightening bar so you can put more torque on it.

The stock lever arm would have to be replaced with a stronger alloy but it could work. I already stripped the threads on the original by over-torquing it.