PDA

View Full Version : Archie Bunker

Mike Null
12-06-2023, 12:27 PM
Norman Lear, the creator of Archie Bunker and many, many other TV shows passed this week at 101.

I can't think of anyone whose work provided more entertainment for me than his. He was a genius.

Mike Chance in Iowa
12-06-2023, 1:53 PM
What a legacy to leave to the world. He was such a brilliant writer.

Bruce Page
12-06-2023, 3:01 PM
I can't think of anyone whose work provided more entertainment for me than his. He was a genius.

I agree, he led the golden era before reality TV.
Sad, the last generation or two have no idea what they missed.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-06-2023, 3:04 PM
He was an incredibly talented man who could poke fun at social problems in a humorous manner.

Maurice Mcmurry
12-06-2023, 7:13 PM
Coincidentally just saw a short about the creator of the show, a WWII hero. Looking for that name and short...

Norman Lear.
I loved all of the characters but landed on meatheads side fairly often.

Frederick Skelly
12-06-2023, 8:09 PM
Coincidentally just saw a short about the creator of the show, a WWII hero. Looking for that name and short...

Norman Lear.
I loved all of the characters but landed on meatheads side fairly often.

Archie was my personal favorite. So many shocking scenes or touching scenes - speaking at his Jewish friend’s funeral, the time Edith hooked up with a swinger club, the scene after Edith’s death. The list goes on. Archie and Edith were played by superb entertainers.

Mike Null
12-07-2023, 12:24 PM
There was a time when there was great TV. I spent last evening watching woodworking on YouTube. (all the stuff I wish I had known how to do when I was able)

Bill Howatt
12-07-2023, 4:23 PM
The first All in the Family I came across was the one where his brother died in his house. Pointed comments about the funeral industry to the extent I was surprised it was on TV back then.
The racial exchanges between Archie and Lionel were my favorites - Lionel always led him on and then came the gotcha.

Stan Calow
12-07-2023, 5:17 PM
Truly groundbreaking. Parents and kids watched together and both found things to like and think about.

Jim Koepke
12-07-2023, 8:59 PM
Sadly I missed most of it because of not having a TV at the time.

Most of my exposure to Carol O'Connor was in Kelly's Heroes (1970) where he played Major General Colt. It is a fun movie if you haven't seen it.

jtk

Maurice Mcmurry
12-07-2023, 9:24 PM
About Norman Lehr from YouTube. His WWII contributions and a brief eulogy are told in the first link below.

https://youtube.com/shorts/H6SJ5r4tm-s?si=GCOWAk2dIlOBS98c

More...

https://youtu.be/EQvMAyik2ag?si=uKMgynsyvTwg4wYO

Ron Citerone
12-07-2023, 9:36 PM
I thought Carrol O Connor was best in In the Heat of the Night.

Mike Chance in Iowa
12-08-2023, 2:11 PM
Sadly I missed most of it because of not having a TV at the time.

You can watch all 9 seasons of All in the Family on Amazon Prime.

Pat Germain
12-08-2023, 2:19 PM
I thought Carrol O Connor was best in In the Heat of the Night.

My wife was a fan of that show. It was really toned down from the movie on which it was based, but I agree. It was a good show and Carrol O'Connor was excellent.

Pat Germain
12-08-2023, 2:21 PM
Some of the funniest interactions were between Archie and Edith's sister, Maude. One of my favorites was when Maude was telling Archie dinner was ready. She said something like, "Are you going to come to the table or just sit there and live off your fat? In your case, that should last you about six months." :)

Ron Citerone
12-08-2023, 3:00 PM
My wife was a fan of that show. It was really toned down from the movie on which it was based, but I agree. It was a good show and Carrol O'Connor was excellent.

I thought I never saw it, on further review, I googled it and recognized it. Yes great movie!

Jim Koepke
12-08-2023, 3:51 PM
Some of the funniest interactions were between Archie and Edith's sister, Maude. One of my favorites was when Maude was telling Archie dinner was ready. She said something like, "Are you going to come to the table or just sit there and live off your fat? In your case, that should last you about six months." :)

That reminded me of an interaction on The Honeymooners. Ralph is explaining why he doesn't like his mother-in-law to Alice. At their wedding reception she was going around telling people, "I haven't lost a daughter, I've gained a ton."

jtk

Bill Howatt
12-09-2023, 9:19 AM
My favorite Archie Bunker line, and appropriate for the season, is set at what I believe is a Christmas Eve dinner and Archie is saying grace. Paraphrased roughly: "Hi Lord, A. Bunker here, once again when Christmas has got us by the throat.".

Bruce Page
12-09-2023, 1:29 PM
One of my all time favorites: A Sock And A Sock And A Shoe And A Shoe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFuniFSP2fo