PDA

View Full Version : Adirondack Chairs

Brad Hammond
07-24-2003, 5:35 PM
i'm about to start some chairs for a couple of friends and some for the porch and i've been looking at the many different plans available. i've got a compilation of all the different designs in my head, but i wanted to get input from those who've built them. what sort of little things have you found to add?
i was thinking along the lines of wide arms, curved back, extra support for the back, contured seat, carraige bolts vs screws ect...

i'll of course tailor the wood choice and finish to the exposure to the elements, but i wanted hear from the voices of experience in regards to what makes these chairs comfortable, or as comfortable as they can be.
thanx
brad

Gord Graff
07-24-2003, 5:48 PM
Hi Brad,

About 10 years or so ago I built a few dozen of these chairs. My choice at the time was the Lee Valley design (on the right) or the NYW chair. I built both and offered customers the choice, I never sold one of the Lee Valley designs. I still have the prototype sitting in the back yard. It is the most comfortable chair I've ever made. Don't know why but it's a pleasure to sit in and a couple of dozen customers agreed. By the way, I changed nothing about the design.

All the best
Gord

Lynn Sonier
07-24-2003, 6:00 PM
I'm partial to the chairs Norm built originally. I have built 8 or 10 and, if you take the time to make patterns, you can route them out in no time.

Jim Becker
07-24-2003, 8:43 PM
I'm partial to the chairs Norm built originally. I have built 8 or 10 and, if you take the time to make patterns, you can route them out in no time.

Me, too. I really like the New Yankee Workshop (http://www.newyankee.com) design and find them very, very comfortable to sit in...some designs are way too "deep and steep" in the seat for me!

Von Bickley
07-24-2003, 9:31 PM
Brad,
I use Norm's plans and have really enjoyed our chairs. I made templates from 1/4" luan that makes everything go together pretty fast.

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-24-2003, 9:41 PM
I also built a couple or "Norm's Chairs" for my Folks, and I, and they, like them. I have seen and sat in some designs that you almost have to have help getting out of! :p Good Design, and easy and enjoyable to build also. I am always looking for ways to possibly tinker with plan designs, but I couldn't think of a thing to change on these chairs.

John Christiansen
07-24-2003, 11:04 PM
i'm about to start some chairs for a couple of friends and some for the porch and i've been looking at the many different plans available. i've got a compilation of all the different designs in my head, but i wanted to get input from those who've built them. what sort of little things have you found to add?
i was thinking along the lines of wide arms, curved back, extra support for the back, contured seat, carraige bolts vs screws ect...

i'll of course tailor the wood choice and finish to the exposure to the elements, but i wanted hear from the voices of experience in regards to what makes these chairs comfortable, or as comfortable as they can be.
thanx
brad

Another vote for Norms chair.

But you asked about tips, so..............Two things that I will do on the next ones are
1. use stainless screws, counter-bore them and plug them. Mechanical fastener stains are really ugly.
2. Use Gorilla glue or some brand of poly glue on all contact points. The stuff is great for exterior use and it will really stiffen up the chair.

The third item I will do after the next batch but can't this time around because I have already stocked the cypress that I am going to use. But build them out of full 1" or better yet, 1 and 1/8" material. It will be well worth the extra cost of the lumber. aesthetically and structurally.

Eric Apple - Central IN
07-25-2003, 9:28 AM
Veritas offers a set of very good plans. As sold, the plans include full size templates and this eliminates a small bit of less then fun work. I would not change anything about the chair.

The assembly instructions do not mention using glue on all the joints. I did and would recommend anyon elese do the same.

It is however more complicated then your average adirondack chair. More pieces to cut. But, it is very solid.

The plans include 2 size chairs, the smaller size is good for up to about 5'10. The large chair is good for anyone taller. Also included are plans for a rocker and the foot stool.

I also built stools. They work nicely with the chars.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&page=32755&category=1%2C46158%2C42665&ccurrency=2

Brad Hammond
07-25-2003, 11:54 AM
thanx alot everyone............great great info!
i'm getting started today............BUTTCAD!

brad

Lynn Sonier
07-25-2003, 6:46 PM
Regarding John's post regarding screws, I note that the big orange box now has screws specifically designed for decking. Not supposed to rust or stream black. Built a swing with these but they've only been in the weather a couple of weeks. Some of the screws are greenish and some are beige - depends on size I guess. The first chairs I built, I countersunk and plugged but that is a whole lot of work. I then used galvanized deck screws.