PDA

View Full Version : DC pipe fitting search is giving me a headache

Jim O'Dell
02-04-2006, 10:17 AM
I thought I had this all worked out, but NOOOO, my little brain finds something else to fixate on!:rolleyes: If you read my question on the company playing off of McMaster-Carrs part numbers, I never got an email back from them, so they are out. I was going to finalize my order with MC, and on my last little trip to "look through and verify" I noticed that the fittings they have for 6" are not ASTM 2729. They are ASTM 3033/3034. Web search finds that in 4" pipe, the OD are the same for all 3, which tells me the pipe will fit properly into the fitting's sockets. The interior would have to be off slightly for the difference in ID of the two types of pipe. In my mind, I know that littile squeeze down won't amount to a drop of difference for my cyclone, but....Are there specific 2729 fittings, or are there just a set of fittings that are designed to work with several types of pipe that have the same OD?
This is all giving me a migrain. Anybody have any real world help for me, maybe a big cyber aspirin??? :D Jim.

Rob Will
02-04-2006, 10:37 AM
Jim,
I would ask around at HVAC shops in Ft. Worth etc. as to who sells spiral pipe and fittings. Then just take in your fittings to check the fit. We have a local distributor who sells the Spirosafe SW products by Lindab. Gasketed and very easy to work with.
http://www.lindab.com/USA/

Rob

Ken Garlock
02-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Jim, I don't know about the ASTM numbers, but, in haste, I bought some "regular 6" fittings and they were sloppy loose on the '2729' pipe. My conclusion was that it was a difference in wall thickness. The S&D 2729 is thinner than the schedule 40 pipe.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but the Locke Supply people in Denton can fix you up with all the correct fittings.:)

Not to diss the M&C people as I have bought a lot of parts from them, but I have had the same problem with sending them questions via Email. I think they have a very large bit bucket.;)

Alan Schaffter
02-04-2006, 11:42 AM
ASTM 2729, 3033, 3034, 3035 fittings all have the same id. (The wall thickness and hence i.d. of the corresponding pipe vary but not the o.d.) There are a number of ASTM fittings made with the same i.d. In my DC parts bin, in addition to the 3033/3034, I found some 2852, 2751, and an un-labeled lightweight fitting made by NDS that may be 2729. All you need to be concerned with is the i.d. of the fitting. All the fittings mentioned here have have the same i.d. The lightweight (2729?) fittings are very thin , not as strong, and appear to be made from different plastic, not PVC. They are probably just fine for DC applications, and though I'm not sure, they may be cheaper due to less and different plastic. I don't remember where I got them.

Jim O'Dell
02-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Thanks again!!
Rob, I'm trying to stay with PVC because that's what the ClearVue cyclone is designed for, plus it is a little less than what I've seen for spiral, though I like the spiral pipe.
Ken, I haven't forgotton about your recommendation, but I just don't get toward Denton very often, and when I do, I've got the wife and usually 4 to 6 dogs with me. :eek: Makes it a little difficult to go shopping. :rolleyes:
Alan, I was just out to run some errands and took a piece of my pipe with me (cut off the bell end and a couple inches for fitting purposes). Lowes has a couple thin wall fittings. 6/6/6, and 6/6/4 wyes, 90 degree short radius,, and some tees. It is stamped D2729 and D3034, and the pipe fit in perfectly. So I was able to verify your answer before I new you had answered!
My migraine's gone, I feel good again, I'll make my MC order, then go fix the lawnmower. :(
Have a GREAT weekend! Jim.

Dan Lyman
02-04-2006, 2:31 PM
Hey Jim,
I used some ASTM 2729 pipe I got locally. I bought the mcMaster-Carr 3033/3034 fittings and it's worked out just fine. I was worried about the difference in ID, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. Of course I didn't ever use any other fittings, but I don't think I'm losing much airflow if any. BTW I'm using a 2hp Dust Gorilla.

Dan

Jim O'Dell
02-04-2006, 2:50 PM
Thanks,Dan. Each positive repsonse is giving more and more confidence that I've got the right things coming. Yes, I placed the order just a few minutes ago. Lawnmower is up and running again (new carb, air breather body, and minor tune up) Next is chopping up the tree I cut down last Sunday. I'm on a roll!!! Jim.

Barry O'Mahony
02-04-2006, 6:11 PM
Relax!

FWIW, remember two things:

-- only tools needing 800 CFM, and not all of them do, need a 6" drop.
-- two parallel runs of 4" are just about as good as a 6" run, and the pipe and fittings may be easier to get and install.

Jim O'Dell
02-04-2006, 7:13 PM
Barry, I'll be running the 6" until I get to the machine, then split off. If it takes a 4" at the machine, I'll do a 6/6/4 wye with a 6/4 reducer if need be and use the 4" for a second pick up, like at the BS. I can always put a blast gate on the 4" side and use it for a control if needed so I don't air starve the system. But I do plan on "adjusting" as many machines as possible to take the 6" (TS, future Jointer, Router table, future SCMS station) I don't see how I can modify my BS's port size without risking adversely affecting the strength of the machine. I'll split that to two 4" and rig the upper one to catch what doesn't get to the lower cavity. Jim.