PDA

View Full Version : Sawstop Dado Problem

Ken Krawford
12-02-2023, 12:42 PM
Several months ago I bought a Sawstop dado cartridge and it's been sitting in a drawer til needed. Todays the day but I can't get the cartridge kety to go all the way through the cartridge. The tip of the key protrudes about 1/2" past the inside of the cartridge but won't go any further. The cartridge is labeled:
P/N TSDC-8R3
1639-9838-3796D
5222 FW 1.7
The flip side is labeled:
Rev3 RevA
Both cartridges have 9 pins.
Is there more than one dado cartridge of a PCS 31230?
I purchased my saw in March 2015 if that matters.

Mark Wedel
12-02-2023, 2:07 PM
I don't think they have more than one cartridge - other than refinements they have made to the existing one.
I've personally found that sometimes getting the cartridge to seat properly requires a little fiddling about (wiggle the cartridge as you are trying to put the key in place) - it might not be as smooth/precise as one expects - this holds true even when putting the original (for 10" blade) cartridge back - I've swapped cartridges enough to know to do this, but if this is the first time swapping, you may just want to put the old one back and make sure you are getting things aligned properly.
Presumably, if the cartridge is not in the saw, the key slides through just fine (eg, there isn't a manufacturing defect with extra plastic sticking out that is preventing normal key insertion)?

Paul F Franklin
12-02-2023, 2:08 PM
Ken, I think sometimes the collar that the key slides through in the cartridge gets rotated and misaligned and the key won't slide all the way through. I believe you can just use a screwdriver or the like to rotate the collar so the groove lines up and the key slides all the way through. I don't have it in front of me to provide a better description, but I hope that is clear enough.

Ken Krawford
12-02-2023, 3:54 PM
Ladies & gentlemen we have a winner!! Paul, you saved my weekend. I never noticed that the plastic collar rotates. Once aligned, it plugged right in and the key secured it. Thanks a million.

Ken, I think sometimes the collar that the key slides through in the cartridge gets rotated and misaligned and the key won't slide all the way through. I believe you can just use a screwdriver or the like to rotate the collar so the groove lines up and the key slides all the way through. I don't have it in front of me to provide a better description, but I hope that is clear enough.

Paul F Franklin
12-02-2023, 4:53 PM
Ladies & gentlemen we have a winner!! Paul, you saved my weekend. I never noticed that the plastic collar rotates. Once aligned, it plugged right in and the key secured it. Thanks a million.

Glad that was it, enjoy!