PDA

View Full Version : SCM/rockwell t-120c shaper router spindle question

Nick Crivello
11-30-2023, 6:05 PM
The t120c shaper I purchased came with three spindles, one of which is a 1/2” router bit spindle.

I was looking to use it with a dovetail bit for a project coming up using sliding dovetails.. however the collet doesn’t seem to close enough to hold the router bit.

Collet seems to about 0.52” when fully tightened down, whereas the router shanks are in the 0.498” range. I’d think that the collect would need to get down to about 0.400” or so in order to securely hold the bit.

Almost looks as though relief slots in the collet were not cut wide enough at the factory. Any thoughts on how to best clearance the slots a bit more so that it’ll grab the bit?

Phillip Mitchell
11-30-2023, 8:43 PM
I don't know the answer to your question and I'm not necessarily directly recommending this, but I have made precise thickness brass sleeves (wrapped around the shank) when I've been in a pinch and needed to use, say, a 12mm shank in a 1/2" collet. Would I do it all the time? No, but it will work if you're precise with your shimming.

Bill Dufour
11-30-2023, 9:27 PM
Collets are consumable items. That one is worn beyond safe use or it is metric. The jaws are probably bell mouthed.
Bill D
13mm = 0.512"

Nick Crivello
12-01-2023, 12:26 AM
Collets are consumable items. That one is worn beyond safe use or it is metric. The jaws are probably bell mouthed.
Bill D
13mm = 0.512"

I won’t dispute that the collet is likely a consumable item, however it is too big. When you crank the nut down all the way, the jaws of the collet physically touch each other before coming close to the shank. They aren’t bell mouthed. This can be seen in the photo.

Shaper has very few hours on it, complete, even has the factory manuals. Despite the surface rust on the collet, I don’t think the router bit spindle was ever used.

Warren Lake
12-01-2023, 12:38 AM
are you sure that is correct stuff. The collet insert there and the silver part as the same as what is on an SCM Invincible horizontal mortiser. have a number of those collets.

Nick Crivello
12-01-2023, 12:44 AM
It is... I just checked the manuals, amongst the materials is the spare parts catalog from Invicible machine Inc. It lists four separate collet sizes for this spindle: 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", and 5/8".

I bet this is a 5/8" collet. Interesting.

Warren Lake
12-01-2023, 12:47 AM
okay so it is stock im looking at a photo and the part you screw on on mine is raised, non of the collet sticks out at all and spaces between the cut outs on all. Yeah maybe a 5/8" I think all my collets are 1/2" then the bits are 1/2" or reduced to other sizes. For what you want to do will the RPM be enough for a router bit. Have a T120 and it has four speeds though ive seen some of that model with five think 10,000 was max.
Yeah think that is what it is if you had a 5/8 bit in there then the collet would not be sticking out so far as its compressed now but would not be and the screw on collar would not have gone down so far.

Nick Crivello
12-01-2023, 1:08 AM
okay so it is stock im looking at a photo and the part you screw on on mine is raised, non of the collet sticks out at all and spaces between the cut outs on all. Yeah maybe a 5/8" I think all my collets are 1/2" then the bits are 1/2" or reduced to other sizes. For what you want to do will the RPM be enough for a router bit. Have a T120 and it has four speeds though ive seen some of that model with five think 10,000 was max.

The plate mounted to the door states 2900-10000rpm, and further suggests that 60hz machines add 20% to the rpm. So 12K.

The SCM website lists part numbers close to the OE 1/2" collet, I'll have to contact them and see if any new old stock is still hanging around.

Why would they offer a 1/4" or 3/8" collet for these monsters?

Warren Lake
12-01-2023, 1:52 AM
ill take a look tomorrow. Thats new to me on the HZ all I have are 60 and not seen RPM is higher. So it has the five speeds. I think all those collets I have are 1/2 but will check

Matthew Formoso
01-03-2024, 1:12 AM
I have one of these and need a manual any chance you can share? Also mine came with a 3/4 collet!

Warren Lake
01-03-2024, 11:46 AM
If you send me a PM with an email I have a PDF for the 120 in another computer and can send it.

Bill Dufour
01-03-2024, 11:58 AM
If it is really a 5/8 collet buy a 5/8 endmill, solid carbide, sprial flute. As few flutes as possible. $10-20 on the bay.
Bill D