PDA

View Full Version : Popcorn calories

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-04-2006, 6:02 AM
Slow night at work...so I'm reading the 'Nutrition Facts' info on some microwave popcorn. I find it curious that they list it two ways...popped and unpopped. :confused:

My tooths haven't been real good since I got out of the Air Force, but even when they were good (which woulda been before AF dentists :mad: ) I wouldn't eat popcorn unpopped.

KC

Vaughn McMillan
02-04-2006, 6:29 AM
Are the serving sizes the same for both cooked and uncooked? Aside from the fact that it'd be real difficult to eat uncooked, it sure seems odd that popcorn would change nutritionally just by cooking it. :confused: ;)

- Vaughn

Roger Everett
02-04-2006, 7:19 AM
Maybe this will help. I have here a box of O.R. Light Movie Theater Butter.
2 tablespoons = 5 cups popped
unpoped cal. 120 fat 40
1 cup popped cal. 20 fat 5 ( 1 cup is 1/5 of the 2 tablespoon in the raw)
Now consider that if eated raw, you get all the butter, grease or whatever the slippery stuff in the bag is. When popped there is allways a bunch of the slippery stuff left in the bag, coating the bag. That is where the missing caories and fat calories are. So the net is ,to get lower calorie popcorn, DON'T EAT THE BAG.
HTH
Roger

P.S. I might add that I find if eaten popped it makes a better colon cleaner

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-04-2006, 7:47 AM
That certainly clears it up...but it woulda been more fun if iut didn't make sense. :o

KC

Doug Shepard
02-04-2006, 8:12 AM
Is the calorie count on the unpopped lower or higher? I would guess lower as you'd probably burn so many calories just chewing the stuff that you'd offset some of the nutritional intake. Celery is like that. It's considered a "free" food by the Amer. Diabetes Assoc. as you actually burn more calories chewing it than you end up getting from eating it.

Jim Dunn
02-04-2006, 8:12 AM
Hey KC
"IT'S YOUR 1,000TH POST, HAPPY POST DAY"

Never eaten popcorn un popped intentionally:D Like mine swimming in butter and lots and lots of salt.