PDA

View Full Version : Help! Sawdust Shop Open Day Demo....

Dave Fifield
02-04-2006, 3:19 AM
Hi Folks,

I am going to be giving laser engraving demos tomorrow at the Sunnyvale Sawdust Shop open day (as well as promoting marquetry). I have several nice small project thingies to show the laser off, but what I'd REALLY like is a Corel file for that little Aztek calendar that Epilog make for people at the woodworking shows. Does anyone have a copy I could beg? Is the Epilog guy reading this? I'm going to be showing off my 45W Epilog Mini 24 :) so I'm sure you'd love to have me make these, right?

Actually, any neat small quick project that you could think off to show the laser off would be great. What have you?

If you could email to laser@daveswoodenwonders.com, I'd be able to get hold of the files on my laptop.

Thanks in advance!

Dave Fifield

Keith Outten
02-04-2006, 7:27 AM
Dave,

Below is the hand saw (Corel Version 9) that I got from my Epilog sales Rep when I purchased my machine. It makes for a nice demo piece and an even better business card for a woodworker.

The second file is a set of three gears.

Dave Fifield
02-05-2006, 2:28 AM
Thanks Keith - I didn't get them in time (from SMC) but I'll be sure to use them next time (which I'm sure there will be). I did get the Epilog Aztek calendar design sent to me by Dennis - a big thanks to him for this! :) (we need a "thumbs up" smilie)

I lasered all day from 10am to 6pm (my machine is in need of a thorough clean now!) with nary a break for lunch. I made tons of the Aztek calendars (even customized some for a guy who had a friend with a company named Aztek!), over 100 wooden biz cards for the Sawdust Shop, and 6 little wooden boxes using 1/4" MDF (based on the musical box on Epilog's website). Everyone thought the laser was totally cool (I thought the SawStop demos were the coolest thing personally). I had one of those acrylic snowflake ornaments on show too (a red one) and gave that away at the end of the day.

The finished items disappeared as fast as I could make them! I spent a great deal of time educating woodworkers as to the uses of the laser engraver, how it works, and what materials you can use etc. The number one question was "how much would it cost to get a set up like yours?". I reckon there were only three people who didn't flinch when I told them the answer to that one - maybe they'll become laser enabled later? A lot of people were quite surprised I wasn't either a) selling my services or b) selling Epilog lasers. I think they found it quite refreshing that I was just there to evangelize.

I also got quite a lot of requests to help people personalize a special woodwork project they had in mind. Not sure many of these will follow up - we'll see. I did manage to strike a deal with a local hardwood veneer supplier (biz cards for veneer = excellent!!) and also promised to make some plaques for a school PTA deal (charity work). If any of these people end up wanting more than just one special project doing, or wants stuff on a pro basis, I'll be sure to point them at the pro guys on our list.

All in all it was a very fun day and I think the Sawdust Shop owner, Craig, was quite pleased with the "crowd pleasing" aspect of having the laser engraving demo there. I was supposed to be doing marquetry demos too, but never got to that at all. Luckily there were others there to do that.

Cheers,
Dave F.