PDA

View Full Version : Like Soldiers in Formation

Jerry Todd
02-03-2006, 11:33 PM
All lined up and waiting to be wrapped. Started early this year getting ready for next Christmas. Six more to build. Discovered the plans in a flyer from WoodCraft. The inlay was not in the plans but thought it added to the project. 8/4 Walnut for the Tambour & 4/4 for the base. Finished with Bartley Gel Varnish. Thanks for looking.

Rob Will
02-03-2006, 11:44 PM
A very nice gift indeed.:)
How about a closeup pic in better light.
Rob

Bill Simmeth
02-04-2006, 7:08 AM
Nice clocks! You're right, the inlay does spice it up a bit.

Can you do me a favor and repost this on December 22nd, so that I have your clocks as a guide when I start making Christmas presents? TIA.

John Buzzurro
02-04-2006, 9:22 AM
Hi Jerry,

I like the clocks, and the idea of making a bunch as gifts. I am thinking of doing the same thing for next Xmas. How long do you figure it took you to make 1 of those clocks?

David Duke
02-04-2006, 9:57 AM
...Can you do me a favor and repost this on December 22nd, so that I have your clocks as a guide when I start making Christmas presents?...

Sounds like me Bill :D :D :D !!!

Good looking clocks Jerry, what else have you got planned for Christmas gifts?

Jerry Todd
02-04-2006, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the nice comments guys.
John, It is hard to tell since this is what I did. Since I knew that I would be doing a lot of these I pasted the plans to some scrap Poplar and cut out templates. I drilled a small hole (finish nail size) to mark the forstner bit center for the clock works. I also drilled two small holes in the base (finish nail size) to mark where I should screw the base to the Tambour so they would be consistant and the screws would not protrude. Also drilled all the "signature button" holes in the base at the same time.
I cut out all the Tambours at one time on the band saw. Made all the bases at the same time. Cut all holes at the same time. Routed the base edges at all the same time.
What took most of the time was glueing the inlay and the finish.
I found it was a lot easier to set up each machine once for each step.

David Fried
02-04-2006, 10:56 AM
Very nice Jerry! I've got a mantle that's just crying out for something like that. Think I'll mark this thread! thanks

Dave Fried

Jerry Todd
02-04-2006, 2:43 PM
A very nice gift indeed.:)
How about a closeup pic in better light.
Rob
Rob,
If you click on the thumbnail it will provide a larger picture and show the detail.