PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on what sort of a exterior door threshold to buy.

Mahesh Gudapakkam
11-26-2023, 7:52 PM
Hi there - I am a recent homeowner just getting into small home improvement projects (I love carpentry and woodworking!). One of my current projects is replacing our front door's threshold (sill as well). I'd like for the threshold to be of composite material to avoid rotting (the sill is rotted at the edges).

I have attached a few pics showing the current installation (with measurements). I had a few questions on what to go about buying.

My current depth's for
. the threshold (aluminium) is about 3 1/4"
. the sill (wood) under it is about 7"

The composite door thresholds available online seem to come in depths of 5.625" or 7.625" - larger than what I currently have. Are they this deep to avoid installing a sill underneath or do you still need both? Do you recommend I go with the deeper 7.625" one or the one shorter? The threshold height (1.38") and width (36") seem about right.

Because the door profile is a double rabbet (I think) - would the above threshold slide under door frame or will I likely have to cut a profile along the edges (guessing NO!).

Secondly, what sort of wood should I be considering for the sill. I live in the North East. I have seen white oak as a recommendation. And should it be as deep as my threshold or slightly shorter? In terms of height would 1.5" be good?

Any advice would be much appreciated. I have been teaching myself through forums like this as well as online videos.

Cheers
Mahesh

Cameron Wood
11-26-2023, 8:40 PM
Patch it, paint it, live with it.
This is not an easy project. The sill is, or should be, fastened to the jambs (sides), and there is often not much underneath to fasten a new sill to.

Save the replacement for when you replace the entire door and jamb.