PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions

Mike House
02-03-2006, 10:44 PM
I'm needing to buy two power tools I don't have yet.....a framing nailer and a 12" miter saw. Anyone have any favorites they might reccommend? Thankx.

CPeter James
02-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Senco on the nailer and Dewalt 718 on the slider. On the nailer, get a full round head and not a clipped head. Some building codes don't allow the clipped head nails or require and extra nail in the joint.

CPeter

Rob Will
02-03-2006, 11:34 PM
I have a Senco nailer and a Dewalt 706 saw. I think the new model is DW716. To me the most important feature in a saw is the belt drive. This gets the motor back out of the way. I personally don't like the feel of sliders. The dewalt miter saw stand is nice. You can add an extra pair of work supports and attach them to the left and right of the saw for short cut-offs. This allows the original pair of supports to stay affixed on the extendable wings.

On nailers go with what you can easily buy nails for. I like the steep magazine angle of my Senco, something like 33 degrees. This helps for nailing in tight places.

.02 Rob

Jeff Singleton
02-03-2006, 11:43 PM
I have a 15 year old Hilti framer that is a full nail and it is flawless. It was made by Spotnail for Hilti. Senco makes a top self framer as well. I have had two sliders and did not care for either, Hitatchi and Milwaukee. Hit. slides nice but no power and the Mil. had power but a bad slide. I bought a Bosch 12" compound miter without the slider and could not be happier. Put a Forrest blade on it and whatever you do do not cut construction lumber with it. Miter saws are for trim and the lenghts and thickness of 2 by material is hard on the saw, it can ruin the accuracy. Also, get a good stand.

Jeff Singleton;)

Troy Wilkins
02-03-2006, 11:49 PM
I will cast my vote for the Makita miter saws. I currently have the LS1212 and it has been a great saw. It was dead on accurate out of the box and has stayed that way. As an added bonus the Makita saws come with a very good blade. In my experience the Dewalt saws come with a blade that is very mediocre.

Steve Rowe
02-04-2006, 9:51 AM
Mike - Many moons ago, I worked on a framing crew. This was so long ago that in fact, framing nailers were a relatively new thing and continually jammed. Assuming you will use this for framing, consider dragging that danged air hose all over the place getting hung up on rafters and everything else. If I were to purchase a framing nailer today, it would be the Paslode airless for that reason. If I were to go the air type, it would be either the Senco or Paslode.

I have a Dewalt compound miter saw that I like but, if I were to buy one today, it would definitely have those lasers on it.
Steve

tod evans
02-04-2006, 10:07 AM
either senco or paslode on the framer, i only use 10" sliders so no help there....02 tod