PDA

View Full Version : Eucalyptus HF

Ernie Nyvall
02-03-2006, 10:28 PM
This is my one year anniversary of turning, turning.:confused:

I don't have pics from the beginning, but is from a 3.5"x 10"x10" block that I got in trade for some walnut to Brad Schmid... Thanks Brad.

The HF ended up 3.25" x 9.25". The collar is ebonized(india ink... thanks Carole and Jim B) cherry. It's finished with lacquer and buffed.

Even though I got this in trade, it was bought wood and that brought on some pressure to not really screw it up too bad. Especially since Brad said he wanted to see what I did with it.:eek:

I ran into some complications and I'll explain for those who might want to know.

When I turned the outside, I wanted to make sure it had no flat places, so I took the blade of my square and starting in the center, rolled the edge of it from top to bottom. I found one place about 3/8" wide and took it out. The flat place wasn't really visible, but I could tell it was gone when I finished. The straight edge worked really good for me.

Now, the finish. I did ink the cherry before I glued it on, but I should have finished both before I glued them together. I put 4 coats on and everything was well until I decide to "wipe on wipe off" the next coat... wrong. I had waited two days but as soon as I put the brush on lacquer on there, it all gummed up. I grabbed the thinner and got it off and with one accidental swipe across the collar, the black ink was gone:eek: . I had to wipe everything down to almost bare wood again, mask off the collar for another ink job ( not easy ), and refinish. Oh yea... I don't know why, but I didn't think to raise the grain on the collar before I inked it:rolleyes: .

Anyway, here it is and of course critiques are welcome.

Ernie

Andy Hoyt
02-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Finest Kind!

Bernie Weishapl
02-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Ernie that is beautiful. Nice work. I hope I am doing that well after one year.

Jim Ketron
02-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Awesome bud! Nice finish and form!
Great looking HF;)

Gary Max
02-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Great balance and workmanship -----just perfect

Bill Stevener
02-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Excellent piece Ernie. Great report. May I ask, why not use a spray lacquer, if that is your choice of finish?

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Travis Stinson
02-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Super Ernie. Outstanding job with the form, finish and collar!:cool:

Carole Valentine
02-03-2006, 10:50 PM
Excellent job, Ernie!!! I'm not a fan of tall feet but this one seems to work. You have discovered how to use ink to ebonize a collar...finish it separate from the form! LOL

Jim Dunn
02-03-2006, 11:14 PM
What critique?? It's gorgeous! Really very nice. I especially like the ebonized collar.

Ernie Nyvall
02-03-2006, 11:17 PM
Excellent piece Ernie. Great report. May I ask, why not use a spray lacquer, if that is your choice of finish?

Bill, I used the spray this time because of the ink on the collar, but I don't particularly care for the spray in that it can leave little dimples at the pores. When I use the brush on, I flood the surface, wait a minute, wipe it off, and burnish with a paper towell. I do this for 5 or 6 coats and it doesn't gum up and it's much smoother with no dimples.

Ernie

Curt Fuller
02-03-2006, 11:32 PM
That's a beautiful Hollow Form. Shape, wood, and collar all compliment each other and a beautiful finish. I have a question, when hollowing a form in that low flat shape, what type tool do you use and how thin and consistent are you able to get the walls?

Bill Stevener
02-03-2006, 11:45 PM
OK Ernie thanks, I guess I just do it the way I was taught. Spray and sand, one day I may try the brush on and wipe off, just thought I would gum it up. I will give it a try on some scrap piece.

Just set in my old ways I guess.:confused:

Mark Cothren
02-03-2006, 11:56 PM
Ernie, that is fantastic! I love everything about it!

Thanks for the pictures, and happy anniversary! :D

Brad Schmid
02-04-2006, 12:39 AM
Beautiful Ernie! You did a fine job with that. I really like the collar. I've been waiting to see what you'd do with it:cool: That's a great way to celebrate year #1, and start year #2!

BTW - thanks again for the wood. I have it all cut sealed and stored in the shop just waiting for time to start roughing it out:)

Earl Eyre
02-04-2006, 12:49 AM
Great job. Those kind of disks are tough hollowing! You did a fine, fine job. Can't wait to see you 2 year anniversary piece.
Earl

Loy Hawes
02-04-2006, 2:16 AM
Beautiful work Ernie. Nice form and finish.Great collar.

As for criticism. I don't like the foot.
However, in my eyes it is still a very striking piece.
Nice job!

Michael Stafford
02-04-2006, 7:26 AM
WOW, Ernie, that is terrific! Beautiful! Turning must agree with you.:D

Dick Parr
02-04-2006, 7:35 AM
Wow Ernie, that is a beautiful shaped and finished HF, and I love the collar.;)

If you hadn't said anything no one would know you had any problems with it. Really great job.:)

Bob Noles
02-04-2006, 7:59 AM
Beautiful piece Ernie! Simple elegance at it's best.

John Hart
02-04-2006, 8:13 AM
A wonderfully handsome piece Ernie! Interesting how you can show a picture of a simply flawless piece and talk about difficulties.....Doesn't look like you're describing the piece in the picture!! Happy Anniversary!

Ernie Nyvall
02-04-2006, 8:33 AM
I have a question, when hollowing a form in that low flat shape, what type tool do you use and how thin and consistent are you able to get the walls?

Curt, I used a Sorby Hollowmaster and another little swan neck Sorby tool. The form walls are about 1/4" and pretty much that all the way except for the widest part where it is about 3/8".

Ernie

Keith Burns
02-04-2006, 8:40 AM
Excellent piece Ernie:) I like the form very much. I like the collar. I like the foot. Great piece all around:)

Ernie Nyvall
02-04-2006, 9:02 AM
Thanks all for your kind comments.

Yea Carole and Loy, I started out to make four little legs out of that foot, and tipped with ebony feet, then I was just going to cut the thing off. Loml said she liked it as is, so that's where I stopped. Probably would have screwed up the little legs anyway.:rolleyes:

Ernie

Gordon Achterhof
02-04-2006, 9:03 AM
Good job, in fact outstanding for starters. I like the foot but that is what makes a horse race and why we have so many different styles and such. Keep up the excellent work.

Cheers
Gordon

Corey Hallagan
02-04-2006, 10:55 AM
I ditto Bernie, didn't know it has only been one year!

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
02-04-2006, 11:21 AM
I ditto Bernie, didn't know it has only been one year!

Corey

Well Corey, there are others that have been turning about a year that I think you'd REALLY be surprised about...Carole V, John H, I think Travis S, and Keith B. Not sure about all of these and there may be more... we had a thread about it and I remember these as about one year turners... I think.

Ernie

Curt Fuller
02-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Curt, I used a Sorby Hollowmaster and another little swan neck Sorby tool. The form walls are about 1/4" and pretty much that all the way except for the widest part where it is about 3/8".

Ernie

Thanks Ernie. Someday I'm going to get a lesson or two on how to use the Sorby tool. I have one but so far its just been a weapon of mass destruction in my hands.

Ernie Nyvall
02-04-2006, 2:13 PM
Thanks Ernie. Someday I'm going to get a lesson or two on how to use the Sorby tool. I have one but so far its just been a weapon of mass destruction in my hands.

Curt, I got my lesson here when I think it was John and Carole discussing changing the height of the tool rest. I moved mine up above center and it stopped the uh... grabbing me and pulling my whole body into the hf.:o
anyway, it started acting right and cutting pretty smooth.

Ernie

Barry Stratton
02-04-2006, 2:27 PM
One year is all it took for you to achieve "AWESOME-NESS"??? Absolutely amazing stuff coming off your lathe. Wow.

John Hart
02-04-2006, 2:57 PM
One year is all it took for you to achieve "AWESOME-NESS"??? Absolutely amazing stuff coming off your lathe. Wow.

Isn't that cool? Ernie has accelerated to a point that I think he'll be hard to catch up to. I still have a couple months. Hmmmm...I better git busy!:)

Mike Ramsey
02-04-2006, 3:17 PM
Happy Anniversary Ernie!! That is a very cool peice, great job!

Glenn Hodges
02-04-2006, 10:22 PM
Ernie, you have a piece to be proud of with this one. I like the finish, the color of the wood, and the form. The colar adds a crowning touch to this piece of artwork. I would leave the foot off on the next one, but that is my personal preference.