PDA

View Full Version : What kind of hammer is this?

James Spangler
11-24-2023, 3:23 PM
Found at a garage sale, this all-steel hammer is 1lb. 3oz. and cost me $1.00
No manufacture's name on it.
I've never seen one like this before. For its size, this thing can pack a wallop.
Is this maybe a machinist's tool?

Maurice Mcmurry
11-24-2023, 3:42 PM
It looks a lot like some hammers I have that were made by Parents and Grandparents in Manual Training Class back in the day.

511088 511121

Eric Brown
11-24-2023, 3:56 PM
I agree that it looks like a school made hammer. The square shape is commonly used by sheet metal workers to form bends and corners.
Machinists typically used brass or bronze tools that were softer than the typical metals they work on.

Mel Fulks
11-24-2023, 4:05 PM
Looks like the old gadget hammers sold in the POPULAR mags. Today they would be sold as “ medicine stash hammers”.

steven c newman
11-24-2023, 5:31 PM
Maybe for a Tinsmith?

Maurice Mcmurry
11-24-2023, 5:54 PM
My wife is still sore about the only B she ever got in her entire school carrier of straight A's, including college and nursing school. Her one B was in metallurgy class at Boston Technical High School. Her project was a turned metal paper weight. The paper weight has a very similar look to that of the O.P.'s hammer.

Frederick Skelly
11-24-2023, 6:45 PM
Yup, that looks like a high school metal shop project.

mike calabrese
11-24-2023, 8:28 PM
I agree it is most likely a school metal shop project . My reasoning is it incorporates many features taught in metal shop. Turning, knurling , threading, countersinking fasteners etc. The handle is all wrong for the balance of the mass of the head and it looks like it has never see a day of work.
Just a S.W.A.G. :D
calabrese55

Edward Weber
11-24-2023, 8:47 PM
I agree it is most likely a school metal shop project . My reasoning is it incorporates many features taught in metal shop. Turning, knurling , threading, countersinking fasteners etc. The handle is all wrong for the balance of the mass of the head and it looks like it has never see a day of work.
Just a S.W.A.G. :D
calabrese55

I have no opinion on what type of hammer it is or if it's a school project BUT;
Judging a hammer by the handle/head proportions and balance is a non stsrter.
There are dozens and dozens of hammers that have the appearance of being out of proportion.
Genno, chasing hammers, caulking mallets, are jsut a few examples that can all have an unbalanced look to them

William Lessenberry
11-25-2023, 2:07 AM
IIRC I made one almost like that in 1976 in Beginning Machine Shop class. The knurling tool fascinated me. After that everything I made that was cylindrical had knurling on it somewhere. :-)
BillL

mike calabrese
11-25-2023, 7:19 AM
I have no opinion on what type of hammer it is or if it's a school project BUT;
Judging a hammer by the handle/head proportions and balance is a non stsrter.
There are dozens and dozens of hammers that have the appearance of being out of proportion.
Genno, chasing hammers, caulking mallets, are jsut a few examples that can all have an unbalanced look to them

Didn't mean to malign the hammer BUT I know school metal shop products when I see them.:rolleyes:
calabrese55

Maurice Mcmurry
11-25-2023, 7:35 AM
The two I posted images of are both horrible hammers.