View Full Version : Restoration Glass

Calvin Hobbs
02-03-2006, 10:13 PM
I am in the process of making a reproduction of an 18th century corner cupboard and would like to use old glass...

I know that it's available from Bendheim or something like that, but I would like to find a salvage yard of some kind that has old victorian sashes or another source of old glass I could recycle. I know lots of it has ended up in dumpsters over the years.

I live in Springfield, Mo and work in Branson, so if anyone has any ideas or connections within the general area, I would love to find out.

Thanks, Cal

jay potter
02-03-2006, 10:21 PM
Calvin call local glass and window insulation companys alot of them will give away the old windows for free to save on landfill costs. I have about 100 old large sashes in storage from local contractors.

Mike Williams
02-04-2006, 5:54 PM
I am in the process of making a reproduction of an 18th century corner cupboard and would like to use old glass...

I know that it's available from Bendheim or something like that, but I would like to find a salvage yard of some kind that has old victorian sashes or another source of old glass I could recycle. I know lots of it has ended up in dumpsters over the years...

Thanks, Cal

Calvin,

If you truly want your cabinet to be a reproduction of an 18th century cabinet, then I would recommend you go with the Bendheim 'Original Restoration Glass'. They describe it as "A handmade glass, mouthblown in the traditional cylinder method developed over 200 years ago. Slight distortions, occasional bubbles and imperfections confirm the authenticity of the product." It is available in 3/32" thickness, which would be appropriate for a cabinet.

I doubt you will be able to find any sash glass that is nearly old enough, and chances are it will all be too thick to be appropriate. It will also be very hard, which makes cutting it more difficult.

Bendheim's website for this glass is http://bendheimrestorationglass.com/

Good luck!

tod evans
02-04-2006, 5:59 PM

I know that it's available from Bendheim or something like that, but I would like to find a salvage yard of some kind that has old victorian sashes or another source of old glass I could recycle. I know lots of it has ended up in dumpsters over the years.

I live in Springfield, Mo and work in Branson, so if anyone has any ideas or connections within the general area, I would love to find out.

Thanks, Cal

calvin, there`s a place just north of the square, dont remember the name? if no luck there try contractors glass, they can order sand cast that might give you the look you want......02 tod

lou sansone
02-04-2006, 10:06 PM
Calvin
I am currently working on a small 18th century chimney cupboard that is similar to a traditional 18th century corner cupboard. I also needed old glass. I will probably use the bendheim for my 18th century Tall case clock that is all done except to rub out and put the glass in ( plus a couple of little details ). But for the cupboard I did manage to go to the local salvage yard that has a lot of 18th century materials and picked up 4 late 18th/early 19th century sashes for $10 each. lots of bubbles and waves. not crown glass, but cylinder glass. I spent the night taking out the panes of glass for use in my cupboard. The problem with your location is that you will not find any really old glass out there. The place I use is cash and carry so that won't help. what size are you looking for. I do have a bunch of 6" x 8" s that maybe we could work something out.

Lou

Calvin Hobbs
02-05-2006, 1:05 AM
Lou,

I know what you mean, I grew up in a house that was remodeled in 1760, in Northeastern North Carolina, but work has taken me out to the midwest. Some Victorian glass has some of the characteristics I am looking for, so I might be able to find some around here.

Appreciate the offer of your stock of glass. I will get out to the shop and measure the lights tomorrow.

I am pushing to get this cupboard out of the garage and into the dining room as I have to make room for a large tavern table for a couple in Kansas City.

Cal

Calvin Hobbs
02-05-2006, 1:07 AM
calvin, there`s a place just north of the square, dont remember the name? if no luck there try contractors glass, they can order sand cast that might give you the look you want......02 tod

Tod,

Appreciate the info, I will check it out. Cal