PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Board Impressions

Steve Mathews
11-22-2023, 9:39 AM
Being an enthusiastic follower of Rob Cosman one of the first things I did in woodworking was to construct a shooting board. Following his advice I also purchased a 5-1/2 bench plane to use with it rather than a dedicated shooting board type plane. No question the setup improved my woodworking precision. I soon followed up with a smaller shooting board for use with a block plane and found this just as helpful. Then, out of weakness and a serious sickness decided to purchase something new, a Lie-Nielsen Shoot Board Plane and yet another shooting board constructed according to plans included with the plane. All of this new stuff sat in my plane till for some time in favor of what Rob Cosman preferred using, the multipurpose 5-1/2. Yesterday I pulled out the Lie-Nielsen setup and immediately discovered how much easier it was to use. The precision and results are the same but I found it much more comfortable to use. I get what Rob says about the 5-1/2 being more versatile but I'll probably continue using the Lie-Nielsen setup more often. I really like it. Just saying.

Prashun Patel
11-22-2023, 10:11 AM
Nothing wrong w that. I have the Veritas shooting plane, and I feel just as you do. The ergonomics make a big difference to the ENJOYMENT of using the plane. There's no shame in that.

Frederick Skelly
11-22-2023, 11:58 AM
Nothing wrong w that. I have the Veritas shooting plane, and I feel just as you do. The ergonomics make a big difference to the ENJOYMENT of using the plane. There's no shame in that.

+1. I agree with Prashun.

Edward Weber
11-22-2023, 12:31 PM
A shooting board is essentially a guide to allow you to make your standard plane work in a manner it wasn't really intended to be used.
The Lie Neilsen and Veritas planes are designed for purpose.
I've often wondered why there weren't more dedicated shooting planes available, as most hand tool workers use shooting boards.

Reed Gray
11-22-2023, 12:35 PM
A shooting board is fairly simple to make. I did get one of the miter gages from Veritas, but have yet to get that one set up. I did buy one of the specialized shooting board planes for my second board. Just more ergonomically correct. Maybe some day in the future, I will make a skewed blade wood plane for this purpose. Won't hurt to have a couple of shooting boards....

robo hippy

Tom M King
11-22-2023, 12:40 PM
Nothing makes finding perfection in fitting easier than a shooting board. Nothing makes a shooting board easier and more pleasant to use than a dedicated shooting plane. LV for me.

George Yetka
11-22-2023, 1:28 PM
Dropping $400 on a dedicated plane for shooting is definitely what Rob was trying to save you. That being said I have a veritas shooting plane and while I often forget I have it I do enjoy it when I need one. Im not entirely thrilled with my shooting board but still enjoy the use of it. I have ti remake it someday

Kent A Bathurst
11-22-2023, 1:59 PM
3 setups for different purposes

LV shooting plane
LN #62 LA jack
LN #140 skew block

On thin stuff 1/4” - 3/8”, the #140 is the cats pajamas

Jimmy Harris
11-22-2023, 2:19 PM
I wouldn't mind a dedicated shooting plane. But I can't justify the need enough to outweigh the price. I did make an easy on/easy off handle for my Stanley No.5 however. There's just no good place to grip a regular plane that won't leave blisters eventually.

As always, what works for you, works for you.

steven c newman
11-22-2023, 3:00 PM
So..WHAT is a Shooting board, anyway...

Rob Luter
11-22-2023, 3:47 PM
A Veritas Low Angle Jack was my first 'Premium" plane purchase. Once received I fashioned an entry level Shooting Board and discovered the joys of square, smooth end grain. While the VLAJ worked pretty well, I was seduced by their shooting plane. So was Santa. I blame him. He/I have no regrets. While it's a one trick pony, it's a really good trick. The VLAJ is now gracing a different bench.

Derek Cohen
11-22-2023, 6:59 PM
Being an enthusiastic follower of Rob Cosman one of the first things I did in woodworking was to construct a shooting board. Following his advice I also purchased a 5-1/2 bench plane to use with it rather than a dedicated shooting board type plane. No question the setup improved my woodworking precision. I soon followed up with a smaller shooting board for use with a block plane and found this just as helpful. Then, out of weakness and a serious sickness decided to purchase something new, a Lie-Nielsen Shoot Board Plane and yet another shooting board constructed according to plans included with the plane. All of this new stuff sat in my plane till for some time in favor of what Rob Cosman preferred using, the multipurpose 5-1/2. Yesterday I pulled out the Lie-Nielsen setup and immediately discovered how much easier it was to use. The precision and results are the same but I found it much more comfortable to use. I get what Rob says about the 5-1/2 being more versatile but I'll probably continue using the Lie-Nielsen setup more often. I really like it. Just saying.

I have used a shooting board for a few decades, starting with something very basic and progressing to the esoteric. Set up has a permanent space, and is used on every project for squaring and sizing boards.

Making your own is a fun project, and will bring a smile ti yourvface each time it is used. Here is a ramped board ai built along with a low angle strike block plane I also made ...

https://i.postimg.cc/cHp1TTry/Buildinga-Strike-Block-Plane-html-6e20bb98.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Esoteric is a Veritas or LN shooting plane on a Stanley #52 shooting board ...

https://i.postimg.cc/Y0pMx1bR/A2114717-E037-469A-8F6C-DCF1910CB7B3.png (https://postimages.org/)

The latter is a permanent fixture.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Koepke
11-22-2023, 8:13 PM

My first use of a shooting board was with a #6, not much different than a #5-1/2. Sometimes a #65-1/2 would be used. Overtime, due to an old shoulder injury, an LN#62 was purchased as the lower angle was less bothersome to my shoulder. At this time there were no modern shooting planes on the market.

Then a visit was paid to an LN Tool Event and their shooting plane was given a test drive. The way it would glide through an end grain cut was very easy on my shoulder. Then after a bit of research the Veritas shooting plane was specified with a lower angle of blade engagement. There was also a "factory second" at a good price even though it was left handed. I am somewhat ambidextrous so a left handed set up seemed fine for me.

The Veritas shooting plane is, imo, fully worth the one time investment.

Things to remember when planing end grain:

1) The lower angle makes for less effort, and less jarring to a sore shoulder.
2) The lower the angle of engagement the less ragged the finished planing on end grain.
3) The handle angle of a dedicated shooting plane is much easier on the wrist and hand.
4) With perfectly squared ends it is much easier to lay out joinery like dovetails. Besides, smooth off of a plane end grain looks so much better than end grain off of a saw.
5) Making precise miters is also easier with a shooting board.
6) Making two pieces the exact same length is easy with a shooting board.

jtk