PDA

View Full Version : Hold-Down Clamps for Woodpeckers Drill Press Table

Alan Lightstone
11-21-2023, 2:51 PM
Well, this turned into quite an ordeal. I like my Woodpeckers drill press table, but holding down small pieces is very problematic, especially with the drawer installed below.

I saw that Kreg has these 6" Automaxx Bench Clamps that looked like they would do the trick.

When getting it home, here's where things started getting weird. The bolt on the bottom of the clamp is 3/8". I went back to Woodcraft, and we couldn't find a single T-track on any machine that it fit into. Including Kregs.

So tried a 3/8" T-bolt. That screws into the clamp, but it too large for the track. And it turns out that 1/4" T-bolts for T-tracks don't fit in the Woodpeckers track either.

Well, finally doing the measurement I should have done in the first place, the Woodpeckers track in small and is designed to only fit 1/4" nuts. Why? I have no clue.

So I built these jigs, one for each side that slide onto the T-track, tighten down with knobs, and then you can swing the Kreg Clamp in place and clamp it down. The 6" length is both an advantage and disadvantage.

The nice thing, is that they really work very well for small pieces. Another annoying problem solved. I've been on a kick to fix all those annoying little things in the shop, and one more off my list.