PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about grizz G1067Z

Greg Pierce
02-03-2006, 8:51 PM
I am new to turning, have been into WW for about 5 years. Have an individual locally has a Grizzly G1067Z about 8 years old, seems to have not been used much, in good shape. Has no tools with it, only a face plate and star type headstock spindle. Wants 300.00 for it. What do you think?

Also, a couple questions 1) the info says the headstock rotates up to 180 degrees, why would you do this?
2) 14 1/2 swing over bed, does this mean the tool rest swings that far?

Thanks for the input.

Jim Ketron
02-03-2006, 9:17 PM
I looked on Grizzly and a 14 1/2 new lathe like that runs for (EDIT) without shipping costs. I think thats a little high for that lathe and the age also, I think its overpriced.
The head stock swivels for ease of getting to the inside of Bowls and things like that.
The 14 1/2 swing is the maximum size piece (wide) you can turn on that lathe.

Edit: I was looking at the wrong lathe its $499 new
hmmmmmmm Thats borderline on the price
maybe some will chime in with some help!

Gary Max
02-03-2006, 10:48 PM
I am with Jim on this one---heck I would just buy thier new one first and get the warranty.

Bernie Weishapl
02-03-2006, 11:03 PM
I think for that kind of money I would get the Jet 1014 VS. Only $79 ($379) more with free shipping from Amazon with a $25 rebate on top of it and you've got a warranty with it. You can turn 10" bowls, pens, etc. and it is variable speed. When you get ready to upgrade you will get more money for it than you will the Grizzly. Accessories are easier to find. Just my thought and $1.298.

Earl Eyre
02-04-2006, 1:03 AM
You can read my comments about another Grizzly on another thread I just added to tonight. The Jet 1014VS is a much better lathe for very little more. I'd go with the other recommendations and get a new Jet.
Earl

Jim Dunn
02-04-2006, 9:11 AM
A friend has a Grz lathe with a swivelling head stock. He is for ever having trouble with it comming loose. It is a real pain to get and keep alinged. Now he's no pro but comming along pretty good at causing stuff to spit out of the lathe. He's decided to leave the head stock in the straight position and forget big bowls.

Greg Pierce
02-04-2006, 9:19 AM
Thanks guys. I think I will sit on this for a while. Don't really have the "got to have one" right now anyway. Just seen this in paper for sale, done a little research on Grizzly. I thought It was a bit high. Now for the sad story. This lady bought this for her husband at an estate sale. Paid $600.00 for it. I feel sorry for her wasting that much. The people at the sale were kind enough to give her the owners manual, which had an invoice inside where he bought it from grizzly for $450.00

I guess I'll take my pennies and go get that PC Plate Joiner

Thanks for the input !

Greg Pierce
02-04-2006, 6:49 PM
Well, I went to Lowe's and got the Porter Cable Plate Joiner, that thing is nice! Allthough, I took it out of the box and set it up, cut one slot and the blade locked up. The blade lock button is supposed to be spring loaded. I guess that was the first day for the fellow that is supposed to put the spring in, he forgot. Anyway, another trip back to Lowes and traded, got the last one in a sealed box. When I checked out there was a 30.00 gift card from Lowe's with it's purchase. So that saved me a bit.

I am going to wait a while on the Lathe, they might decide to drop the price after a while.