PDA

View Full Version : Finishing cedar

Tim Elett
11-19-2023, 9:37 AM
My first time at a lided box ,but how to finish with something to make grain pop and not mask the cedar smell. On this I sanded with 120 and buffed with a tack cloth. 510820

Peter Blair
11-20-2023, 9:18 AM
I have done a little bit of Western Red Cedar and I found the only thing I could do is to apply my favourite finish to the outside and leave the inside unfinished to retain the smell BUT it did not retain the smell very long!

Bill Howatt
11-20-2023, 10:12 AM
IMO, Pete has the right idea if you want to finish Anything is very likely to alter or seal-off the aroma. There are several species of cedar with varying aroma strength; the names are applied very loosely so you may have better or worse luck with maintaining aroma on the interior.

Thomas Wilson80
11-20-2023, 11:06 AM
I don't have much experience turning cedar, but was given a 4" in diameter ERC branch a few years ago and made a few wands and small boxes from it. I finished the wands with bees wax and the smell came through faintly for a year or so but now is pretty much gone. For the boxes, I finished with Watco Danish oil and after it cured the cedar smell remained (still there after 4 years on the inside when opened) though it is slowly fading.

Tom