PDA

View Full Version : EZ lok threaded inserts

Mark Rainey
11-17-2023, 11:53 AM
Making a quilt hanger from two boards. Used EZ lok threaded inserts in the front board. ( back side so you don't see them ). I now have to drill matching holes through the back board to join the pieces together. I see they sell a 1/4-20 Transfer Screw set that would work, but are there any suggestions for quick solutions to the situation? Thanks Mark

Tom M King
11-17-2023, 12:00 PM
Have a number drill bit set? Or a 1/4-20 Allen set screw?

Jarod Johnson
11-17-2023, 12:07 PM
I know they're probably not, but if the threaded inserts are proud of the surface at all you can mark them up with a sharpie and then lay the other board over top to transfer the marker. Another option would be laying a piece of paper over and marking the holes then using that as a template.

Mark Rainey
11-17-2023, 12:09 PM
Have a number drill bit set? Or a 1/4-20 Allen set screw? Tom, would I put the 1/2/4-20 Allen set screw in the ez lock insert and then tap the back board over it to mark where to drill?

Michael Burnside
11-17-2023, 12:10 PM
Recently had this same problem. I took a 1/4-20" bolt and made a transfer screw, then after I was done in the shop that day, I ordered a set of transfer screws. My problem was that alignment had to be dead on. If you have a little leeway, then whiteout/sharpie or even screwing the ez-lock proud and tapping the board to transfer location would work.

Jamie Buxton
11-17-2023, 4:00 PM
This won’t help you now, but here’s a tip. Start by clamping the boards together. Drill with a small diameter bit through the back board into the front one. Now you have mating pilot holes for inserting the insert and for drilling the clearance hole in the rear one.

Mark Rainey
11-17-2023, 4:58 PM
This won’t help you now, but here’s a tip. Start by clamping the boards together. Drill with a small diameter bit through the back board into the front one. Now you have mating pilot holes for inserting the insert and for drilling the clearance hole in the rear one.

Good tip Jamie! I will try that next project.

Mark Rainey
11-17-2023, 5:04 PM
Recently had this same problem. I took a 1/4-20" bolt and made a transfer screw, then after I was done in the shop that day, I ordered a set of transfer screws. My problem was that alignment had to be dead on. If you have a little leeway, then whiteout/sharpie or even screwing the ez-lock proud and tapping the board to transfer location would work.

Thanks Michael. I stuck a 1/4 dowel in the insert and sawed it off 1/8 inch proud. I sprayed the dowel stub with Sight Black ( which is to stop glare on sights and barrels ) and pressed the back board on it. I got my marks and drilled 25/64 inches which gave me some room for error. It came together nicely.

Mark Rainey
11-17-2023, 5:05 PM
I know they're probably not, but if the threaded inserts are proud of the surface at all you can mark them up with a sharpie and then lay the other board over top to transfer the marker. Another option would be laying a piece of paper over and marking the holes then using that as a template.

Thanks for the input Jarod.

Michael Burnside
11-17-2023, 9:59 PM
Thanks Michael. I stuck a 1/4 dowel in the insert and sawed it off 1/8 inch proud. I sprayed the dowel stub with Sight Black ( which is to stop glare on sights and barrels ) and pressed the back board on it. I got my marks and drilled 25/64 inches which gave me some room for error. It came together nicely.

Excellent! Glad it worked out! Now, go order some transfer screws like I did!

Bill Dufour
11-18-2023, 9:53 AM
Ball bearing. make a transfer screw from all thread, or a cut off bolt, and chuck it in a drill then use a bench grinder to point it.
Bill D

Mark Rainey
11-18-2023, 11:25 AM
Ball bearing. make a transfer screw from all thread, or a cut off bolt, and chuck it in a drill then use a bench grinder to point it.
Bill D
Good economical solution Bill. Thanks Mark R

Bruce Wrenn
11-18-2023, 7:51 PM
Ever hear of transfer punches? Bought my set years, and I mean years ago, from HF for about ten bucks. Just checked, and now priced at $11.99.

Mark Rainey
11-20-2023, 8:12 PM
Ever hear of transfer punches? Bought my set years, and I mean years ago, from HF for about ten bucks. Just checked, and now priced at $11.99. Bruce, the transfer punches look interesting. With the EZ lok inserts however, they would be too long. Transfer screws would work better I believe.

Michael Burnside
11-21-2023, 11:39 AM
Bruce, the transfer punches look interesting. With the EZ lok inserts however, they would be too long. Transfer screws would work better I believe.

Agreed. They fit in even the smallest of inserts and can be adjusted as needed. I bought a full set in imperial and metric. They work great for metal too if you get the hardened versions.