PDA

View Full Version : How do I handle this giant log?

Karl Sangree
11-16-2023, 1:38 PM
I've been turning for a while now, but on a midi lathe... mostly pens, pepper mills, small lidded boxes, etc. I recently upgraded to a Laguna Revo 18/36 and started down the path of bowls, plates, serving platters and such. I was recently given a sizable collection of trunk sections of what I believe is Sugar Maple tree for free with the stipulation that I take it all.

Included in the offering is the tree's base: a huge piece that stands 34" (82 cm) high, and is 36" x 33" (92 cm x 84 cm). I have no idea how to best divide it into bowl blanks. If this bottom trunk section is like the others, then it is beautifully spalted and I don't want to waste it. Any help would be greatly. appreciated.

George Yetka
11-16-2023, 1:43 PM
Im not the guy to answer this but maybe cutting it in half perpendicular to the grain would make 2 very nice bowls. I cant tell how deep the crotch goes.

Edward Weber
11-16-2023, 2:06 PM
Here is a link, if it doesn't work contact me and I'll email it to you
http://www.woodturnersresource.com/extras/projects/pages/Log_to_turn_Object.html

Mark Wedel
11-16-2023, 2:21 PM
The normal rule is you want to cut out the pith from any bowls you make, as that is unstable and cracks will form from it. There are various videos on how to do that.
For that particular piece, it is hard to tell how good the wood is - it appears there is a fairly significant crack in the middle (between the 2 pieces forming the crotch), as well as rot on the right side. Your normally want to get down to solid wood - question would be if the rot is the entire length or just a few inches.
If I was to cut it, I'd probably cut vertically (as pictured) along the pith on the left and right pieces, and go from there (see the condition of the wood, etc). It also depends on what your goal is - if it is 34" high, you could get 2 good size bowls (~16") from that height, or 3 11" bowls, etc.
That to me looks less like a traditional crotch (where single pith breaks out into 2 branches), but instead 2 distinct trunks that basically grew together. As such, I might treat it more like 2 distinct pieces.

Bill Howatt
11-16-2023, 3:23 PM
Tend to agree with Mark. If the wood was in good condition and a typical crotch it would likely be cut vertically as shown; the idea is to expose the wood where the grain from the 2 trunks blend and produces what is sometimes called a "flame" pattern. You would get two bowls by doing this and perhaps some smaller pieces depending on the wood condition.
However, your piece is not typical of just 2 trunks, there seems to be at least a third and perhaps a fourth on the other side smaller trunks growing form the crotch area. These appear to have bark inclusions showing and how deep they go is not obvious. A warning: sometimes as you turn away solid wood a bark inclusion may be the only thing holding the workpiece together and they are often weak - this can cause the piece to fly apart and hit you on the head with sometimes fatal (seriously) results. Keep the RPM down and out of the line of fire or if the wood is obviously in this condition change your plan.
You need to assess the rot, cracks, etc and you may be better off dealing with each trunk as a bowl or two.

Richard Coers
11-16-2023, 9:05 PM
This is how I did it. That's a 3520 Husky with a 36" bar.

510666 510665

Richard Coers
11-16-2023, 9:10 PM
I got all this from that log. The largest bowls are 18" diameter. I sold $1,800 worth to the guy that dropped off the log section.

Karl Sangree
11-16-2023, 10:03 PM
Here is a link, if it doesn't work contact me and I'll email it to you

The link worked fine and was helpful. Thanks!

Karl Sangree
11-16-2023, 10:05 PM
This is how I did it. That's a 3520 Husky with a 36" bar.510666 510665

Thanks Richard, but it says I don't have permission to look at the photos. :(

Karl Sangree
11-16-2023, 10:06 PM
The normal rule is you want to cut out the pith from any bowls you make...

Thanks Mark, that was helpful

Karl Sangree
11-16-2023, 10:07 PM
Tend to agree with Mark.

Thanks so much Bill (and Mark) for taking the time to reply. Your input is much appreciated.

Edward Weber
11-17-2023, 9:49 AM
The link worked fine and was helpful. Thanks!

Great, often it can be hard for some to visualize. That little guide takes a lot of the guesswork out

Richard Coers
11-17-2023, 10:04 AM
Thanks Richard, but it says I don't have permission to look at the photos. :(
You need to become a contributor if you want to see pictures. I can email them to you if I can get your email address.

alan weinberg
11-18-2023, 12:15 AM
$6 gets you picture view privileges. I finally paid it.

Reed Gray
11-19-2023, 1:07 PM
I prefer whole logs, and then chop off what I need as I go. If it is all cut into rounds about firewood length, then I lose a lot of wood from cracking as it dries, unless I can get to it right away. I do like the PVA glue, like titebond or elmers for a log sealer. Store off the ground, and covered in the shade.

robo hippy