PDA

View Full Version : Micro-Adjustable Stop Block - Shop Made

glenn bradley
11-15-2023, 11:27 PM
I was watching paint dry for a while this afternoon so I knocked this one off the to-do list. Mill some scrap true, route a couple of MatchFit dovetail grooves, drill some holes, cut the block into two parts, and add some hardware.

It assembles like so.
Clamp the assembly in the approximate positions you want via the right side.
The screw knob moves the adjustable block 1/32" per rotation.
Once adjusted to your liking, clamp the other side of the assembly . . .
. . . and cut your parts.

Bill Conerly
11-16-2023, 1:47 AM
Cool project.

Ray Newman
11-16-2023, 2:18 AM
Now that is an interesting and useful design.

Bob Jones 5443
11-16-2023, 11:13 AM
Micro-adjust anything is very satisfying. Thanks for sharing.

Michael Burnside
11-16-2023, 11:43 AM
Very clever, and good thinking on the fine thread. Thanks for sharing.

Kent A Bathurst
11-16-2023, 12:09 PM
........... some hardware.

It assembles like so. The screw knob moves the adjustable block 1/32" per rotation.

Glenn - I have thought of doing something like the but in a different application. However, I've never figured out what the bits and pieces are to allow the knurled nob to freewheel while the threaded rod is engaged in the t-nut on the 2d block.

Could you - or anyone - 'splain this to me so can get the parts to replicate?

OR - have the threaded rod attached to the 2d block so that it freewheels, and the rod moves in and out of the first block?

Thanks

ChrisA Edwards
11-16-2023, 1:26 PM
I like it, what size bolt/thread pitch did you use for the adjuster?

glenn bradley
11-16-2023, 3:27 PM
Thanks everyone.

@ChrisA Edwards - I used a 10-32 threaded rod so that one revolution would be about 1/32".

@Kent A Bathurst - Here's some pics that may help. The threaded knob and nut jam into each other like a normal double-nutting function to lock the nuts in position.
The nylon lock nut holds itself in position. This position is such that the threaded rod spins freely but is not sloppy.
The t-nut just provides the threads so that the spinning threaded rod causes the moveable block to move in and out when the rod is spun.
I would have preferred a threaded insert but did not have that size. I had the t-nut so a bit of epoxy and it's all set. The outer rods are just solid stock that I wax a bit. These just act like guide bars to keep things from twisting during adjustment. Your requirement may or may not need this. For a heavier load you could use a heavier rod, drill the rod and slip in a cotter pin and washer instead of replying on the threaded components to hold.

Kent A Bathurst
11-17-2023, 8:46 AM
Excellent description, Glenn. Thanks

One of those "how did I not figure it out?" topics, which is great - straightforward, no sneaky bits.

The closeup photos did the trick -jam nut with knurled brass, and the nylon nut as a rotating stop

Turns out I have all the needed components in a couple different thread configs.

Regards