PDA

View Full Version : Stud finder question

kevin nee
11-14-2023, 2:19 PM
Will stud finders work on walls with plaster & lath in an old house.
Any suggestions for a quality stud finder for this application.

Jim Becker
11-14-2023, 3:19 PM
Some will; typically using a "deep scan" mode.

Tom M King
11-14-2023, 3:20 PM
The good ones will. The cheap ones won't be consistent. I'll have to see the name brand. I don't remember. I proved there was an old doorway in a 1798 house with it.

Halgeir Wold
11-14-2023, 4:55 PM
A few years ago, we built a video conference room at work. When hanging two rather big monitors, we were using two different stud finders, one quite expensive Bosch and a B&D... they both found the studs.. but not where they actually were. I found them by putting my ear to the wall and tapping with a finger...
The stud finders were actually useless in that situation....

Bill Dufour
11-14-2023, 6:25 PM
The Franklin at horrible fright is the best I know of.
Bill D

Mark Salomon
11-14-2023, 7:36 PM
Will stud finders work on walls with plaster & lath in an old house.
Any suggestions for a quality stud finder for this application.

The electronic stud finders don't work well with lath and plaster. I use these instead. Simple and cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/StudPoP-Original-Magnetic-Finder-Red-Find-fasteners/dp/B085TMYM32?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Maurice Mcmurry
11-14-2023, 7:44 PM
What Mark says! A great thing about plaster and lath is the abundance of iron present. So many nails for a magnet to detect. First class sterilized iron.

Richard Coers
11-14-2023, 10:38 PM
I carry a pack of tiny rare earth magnets from Harbor Freight. You get 10 magnets for $3. I slide one around on the wall until it sticks. Then grab another, and repeat. Best stud finder I've ever used.