PDA

View Full Version : I dented my rabbet plane

Ben Ellenberger
11-13-2023, 9:41 PM
I had a day when I wasn’t very smart. I went against the grain on some oak with a heavy cut with a wooden rabbet plane. I pulled up a strip and jammed it in the mouth of the plane, which left a little indent.

First conclusion: don’t do that again.

This little indent in the mouth likes to jam with shavings and keep the plane from cutting. I could try to steam it out, or I could file/scrape the mouth more open. I’m leaning toward trying steam first, but am curious if anyone has dealt with thus before or has any suggestions.

Derek Cohen
11-14-2023, 10:54 AM
Wet it with a little water. Or steam it. That will uncompress the dents.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jon Barnett
11-14-2023, 1:41 PM
If the dents won't steam or soak out, try a little clear epoxy mixed with very fine sawdust of a similar colour. Tape off the area, and fill. Sand smooth (carefully) when dry.

Ben Ellenberger
11-14-2023, 3:40 PM
Thanks for the input. I’ll try a little water first, then step up to steam if that doesn’t work.

Mel Fulks
11-14-2023, 4:14 PM
Thanks for the input. I’ll try a little water first, then step up to steam if that doesn’t work.

Or just “add water” onto a folded cloth ,and press with a hot iron. They now make ELECTRIC irons , so you no longer have to use the old
iron irons …..how’s THAT for IRON- E
AND the last time I watched “ SEA HUNT”… STARRING LOYD BRIDGES the advice was DE- COMPRESS ! NOT UN - COMPRESS !!

Ben Ellenberger
11-15-2023, 9:29 PM
No heat needed. I put a little water on a shop cloth and left it in the mouth overnight. It looks almost good as new and seems to be working fine now. Thanks for the input!