PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of Sassafras Furniture

ROBERT ELLIS
02-03-2006, 6:39 PM
As promised, heres a few pictures of some more cabinetry made from Sassafras. The Large corner cupboard has been painted inside Sage Green, while the outside is stained (oil based) walnut. The regret I had with this one was not using a analine dye stain first (walnut) so I could have achieved a darker color, i.e., resembling a darker walnut. I just finished a "double door" cabinet last week, made from poplar, painted sage green inside, and was very satisfied with the walnut analine dye stain - I hope to take some pictures of it when I deliver tomorrow (?)

The chimney cupboard was stained with the same Natural Antique Cherry I use on my cherry pieces.

What's some of you fellow woodworkers "personal" feelings about working Sassafras lumber. Obviously, its one of my favorites, right behind cherry. The lumber's cheap, easy to work with and sand, still in the hardwood family and to me seems to be more stable (shrinking/expanding) Red Oak and poplar.

Thanks for viewing!

Robert

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2006, 7:52 PM
Beautiful piece Robert!

lou sansone
02-03-2006, 8:03 PM
sassafras is an interesting wood. it is very similar to the now extinct American chestnut ( I know that a few are around, but in general they are extinct) it is also very rot resistant. as you have said it is nice and light and easy to work with. we have sawn a bunch of it up on our mill. they only get to be about 12" in diameter up here in CT/RI

very nice piece.. where is the chimney cupboard ?

lou