PDA

View Full Version : Anthem plan D premium for 2024 is going up 62%

Brian Runau
11-13-2023, 10:37 AM
Anyone else seeing this from their providers? World has officially gone crazy.

Never switched providers while in medicare, can we do that without losing coverage? I assume I can as long as I make sure new coverage starts before I cancel existing coverage. Can I do this without worrying about preexisting conditions?

Thanks.

Brian

Jim Becker
11-13-2023, 11:04 AM
It's open enrollment right now and I do believe you can make changes with no issues. And for Plan D, it makes sense that change might be needed from time to time as the medication regimen changes over time. One of the factors when I was choosing my Advantage plan (my preference) was ensuring the prescription coverage was inline with my medications...easy now because what I need is pretty simple and basic, but who knows what the future offers?

The official Medicare site has some pretty good resources for comparing coverages for both "traditional" Medicare supplemental coverage as well as for Advantage plans offered in our individual geography. (insurance is regulated by state)

Brian Elfert
11-13-2023, 11:15 AM
Prescription costs are going crazy right now. A good part of it is weight loss drugs that are very expensive. A number of private companies have stated they will stop covering weight loss drugs with their company insurance plans due to the high cost.

Michael Weber
11-13-2023, 11:32 AM
Medicare online will show you all the coverage in your area and at what cost. In addition you can enter all the drugs you currently take and it will provide a total cost for each plan. As good as the website is I have a real issue with the D plans in that they need to be simplified and regulated as the Medicare supplemental plans are.

roger wiegand
11-13-2023, 11:55 AM
Our Plan D coverage (through Blue Cross) increased by about 5% this year, less than I would have thought. Shop around.

Brian Runau
11-13-2023, 12:10 PM
Prescription costs are going crazy right now. A good part of it is weight loss drugs that are very expensive. A number of private companies have stated they will stop covering weight loss drugs with their company insurance plans due to the high cost.

I hope so, that and boner pills! I blame Bob Dole. Brian

Brian Runau
11-13-2023, 12:12 PM
Our Plan D coverage (through Blue Cross) increased by about 5% this year, less than I would have thought. Shop around.

In Indiana Anthem and blue cross are the same. Brian

Brian Elfert
11-13-2023, 1:04 PM

It is almost certainly cheaper long term to pay for weight loss drugs rather than pay for major health issues caused by morbid obesity. There are other things like sleep apnea that insurers would rather pay to treat instead of paying for other health problems caused by untreated sleep apnea.

Andrew More
11-13-2023, 2:43 PM
It is almost certainly cheaper long term to pay for weight loss drugs rather than pay for major health issues caused by morbid obesity. There are other things like sleep apnea that insurers would rather pay to treat instead of paying for other health problems caused by untreated sleep apnea.

I'd guess the payoff is much further in the future. My sleep apnea machine was about $500 5 years ago. Currently most of the weight loss drugs are coming in at around $1K/month, and that's money the insurers need to spend today, not in a decade or two as the problems with obesity effect their customers. I'm also expecting a lot of these drugs to drop dramatically in price, I'd guess the insurance companies are as well.

I haven't personally seen a change in my insurance, but it's via my employer who might be having a different experience. I'd guess a lot of this is tied to the costs of the COVID epidemic and all the hospitalizations and other costs.

Brian Elfert
11-13-2023, 3:41 PM
I have sleep apnea and was having problems tolerating a CPAP. My sleep doctor recommended a dental appliance. He gave me some names of dentists. One highly recommended one charged over $4,000 to do the impressions and make the dental appliance. I was shocked my insurance approved that much. The sleep doctor said it is cheaper than future medical problems for the insurer.

My employer said that the company's medical costs increased almost 10% this past year.

Patty Hann
11-13-2023, 4:44 PM

Never switched providers while in medicare, can we do that without losing coverage? I assume I can as long as I make sure new coverage starts before I cancel existing coverage. Can I do this without worrying about preexisting conditions?

Thanks.Brian

As long as you stay within your Medigap Supplement "letter" it's not a problem.
If you are in Plan G (I use Aetna in Plan N) and you want to switch providers within that "letter" (another Ins co in G) there is no need for new underwriting.
It's switching between the "Letters" that triggers new underwriting.

Forgot to mention...about 7 states prohibit new underwriting, meaning you can switch "letters" without consideration of pre-existing conditions.
I forget which states but you should be able to Google for that info. (And I know AZ is NOT one of them :rolleyes:).

My Plan D went from about $9/month to $14/month.
I am blessed in that I have never needed "maintenance drugs"so my per month Plan D cost was always low.
And I've always used GoodRx for the few times I needed a prescription filled if it wasn't a free drug through Medicare.
GoodRx is godsend.
Because of this situation my Medicare broker guy moved me to a Zero$/month premium.

Brian Runau
11-13-2023, 6:59 PM
As long as you stay within your Medigap Supplement "letter" it's not a problem.
If you are in Plan G (I use Aetna in Plan N) and you want to switch providers within that "letter" (another Ins co in G) there is no need for new underwriting.
It's switching between the "Letters" that triggers

Thanks Patty. Brian

Paul F Franklin
11-13-2023, 9:43 PM
Brian, are you talking about medicare *Part D* (drug coverage) or a Medigap (Medicare supplemental) plan type D?

Your drug coverage can be changed each year during the Annual election period. Many folks change their Part D plan frequently as their drug needs change or plans become too expensive. The medicare web site has excellent tools for identifying which plans are available in your area and what the costs are for the drugs you require.

Changing Medigap plans can be done during the 6 month open enrollment period when you first become eligible for Medicare (usually age 65), or if you live in one of the 6 or 7 states that allows it each year. Otherwise, you may not be able to change plans. Here is a good article that covers this in detail: https://www.senior65.com/medicare/article/switching-medigap-plans

Patty, do you have a reference for the "ok to change between medigap plans of the same 'letter'"? I don't find any such rule on the Medicare site....

Patty Hann
11-13-2023, 10:50 PM
Brian, are you talking about medicare *Part D* (drug coverage) or a Medigap (Medicare supplemental) plan type D?

Your drug coverage can be changed each year during the Annual election period. Many folks change their Part D plan frequently as their drug needs change or plans become too expensive. The medicare web site has excellent tools for identifying which plans are available in your area and what the costs are for the drugs you require.

Changing Medigap plans can be done during the 6 month open enrollment period when you first become eligible for Medicare (usually age 65), or if you live in one of the 6 or 7 states that allows it each year. Otherwise, you may not be able to change plans. Here is a good article that covers this in detail: https://www.senior65.com/medicare/article/switching-medigap-plans

Patty, do you have a reference for the "ok to change between medigap plans of the same 'letter'"? I don't find any such rule on the Medicare site....
Only what my broker said .
I said something about changing companies and the underwriting and he said., "Not if you stay with Plan N.... no new underwriting."
But I will double check on that and try to find an "official statement" .

Also, the answer he gave me may only apply to AZ ( I forgot about that part, that each state has its own Insurance regulations)

Bill Dufour
11-13-2023, 11:20 PM
Go in to a broker with a list of your medications and a list of plans your doctors will accept. Let them figure it out for you, at no cost to you.
Bill D

George Bokros
11-14-2023, 7:54 AM
This amazing.....My Part D drug plan 2023 cost per month is $11.80 / month, 2024 cost per month $00.00, not a typo, that is the cost per the 2024 plan change document they sent me and per phone call I made to them yesterday.

Jerome Stanek
11-14-2023, 7:57 AM
Go in to a broker with a list of your medications and a list of plans your doctors will accept. Let them figure it out for you, at no cost to you.
Bill D

The so called brokers here seem to only offer one plan even though they say they offer all of them

Jack Lemley
11-14-2023, 10:04 AM
+1 that's what I did.

Bill D

Curt Harms
11-14-2023, 10:41 AM
I have a Humana PPO Medicare Advantage plan. Monthly premium went from $18 to I think $24/month which considering I didn't think is too bad. What I was less fond of is that the maximum annual out-of-pocket went from $4900 to $6100. I'll shop around before December 7th or whenever the end of the open enrollment period is.

One discovery I did make prior to qualifying for Medicare was that drug prices are variable between providers. I live in Pennsylvania but am close to New Jersey. A local pharmacy in Trenton had a couple generics for like 50% of what WalMart pharmacy was asking.

Brian Runau
11-14-2023, 10:55 AM
I checked Cigna and United Healthcare online for premiums and cost of prescriptions. Anthem is still a better value. I just wish I could get KY with it when companies do this to me..... We are blessed and can afford the increase, but seems out of control to me. Brian

Jim Becker
11-14-2023, 12:45 PM
I have a Humana PPO Medicare Advantage plan. Monthly premium went from $18 to I think $24/month which considering I didn't think is too bad. What I was less fond of is that the maximum annual out-of-pocket went from $4900 to $6100. I'll shop around before December 7th or whenever the end of the open enrollment period is.

One discovery I did make prior to qualifying for Medicare was that drug prices are variable between providers. I live in Pennsylvania but am close to New Jersey. A local pharmacy in Trenton had a couple generics for like 50% of what WalMart pharmacy was asking.

I went with IBX, Curt.

Brian Runau
11-14-2023, 4:12 PM
This amazing.....My Part D drug plan 2023 cost per month is $11.80 / month, 2024 cost per month $00.00, not a typo, that is the cost per the 2024 plan change document they sent me and per phone call I made to them yesterday.

George, who are you with? thanks brian

Brian Runau
11-14-2023, 4:15 PM

I found with Anthem it cost me less overall by paying a higher premium and getting the higher benefit with lower out of pocket. On a 12 month basis it was lower cost to pay the higher premium. I assume ti would vary based on the meds you take. brian

Patty Hann
11-14-2023, 5:19 PM

Thanks.

Brian
Sorry Brian... my bad.
Paul Franklin is right... any change of a provider whether in the same Letter or to a new Letter will trigger underwriting.

Ronald Blue
11-14-2023, 6:24 PM
The only way to know what plans and options you have is to go online and look for yourself. Location makes all the difference in what you can choose. It doesn't matter what is available in California if you live in Florida. The Medicare website really is pretty helpful in seeing what your options are. If you don't already have an account it might be to late to get one now though for this enrollment period. Don't automatically rule out an Advantage plan either until you look at the numbers. In my situation it works great with no monthly premium besides the monthly one everybody pays.

Mike Henderson
11-14-2023, 6:26 PM
For Part D plans, I'm fairly sure you can switch companies without any problems. Go to Medicare.gov. You put in you location, give them a list of your medications and they tell you the estimated cost of each plan.

Can't help you with Part B supplemental plans. I haven't tried to switch companies.

Mike

Brian Runau
11-15-2023, 6:28 AM
The only way to know what plans and options you have is to go online and look for yourself. Location makes all the difference in what you can choose. It doesn't matter what is available in California if you live in Florida. The Medicare website really is pretty helpful in seeing what your options are. If you don't already have an account it might be to late to get one now though for this enrollment period. Don't automatically rule out an Advantage plan either until you look at the numbers. In my situation it works great with no monthly premium besides the monthly one everybody pays.

I was surprised how good the Medicare website was. Load medications, load pharmacy, brings up plans by zip, gives a total annual out of pocket that includes premiums and cost of medications. Brian

George Bokros
11-15-2023, 7:40 AM
George, who are you with? thanks brian

I am with Wellcare Value Script(PDP). Wellcare has several plans. Costs vary by state as was mentioned before.

Bill George
11-15-2023, 9:24 AM
I used that website last year and changed plans to Wellmark Blue saved hundreds this year not only on the monthly cost but for the drugs!

Roger Feeley
11-17-2023, 5:19 PM
Hey! You’re messing with the senator from the state of my birth.
Funny Dole story. He was on a campaign swing through rural Kansas and stopped by a county fair where they were having a cow chip throwing contest. For those of you that don’t know what a cow chip is, when a cow poops, it spreads out and dries into a sort of thick pizza thing. Since the cow really doesn’t digest very well, there’s a lot of grass fiber intact which makes the resulting “chip” fairly stable. So most of the entrants looked for a nice round flat thing and threw it like a frisbee. But cow chips have very poor aerodynamics and don’t fly very far. Dole fished around and came up with a handful of wet stuff, wound up and took 1st place. Dole, long known for his wit, quipped……ok, I don’t remember what he quipped but it either had something to do with mud-slinging or not being afraid to get his hands dirty.

I liked Bob Dole and was really disappointed that his handlers made him hide his wit and humor when he ran for President.

Curt Harms
11-18-2023, 8:50 AM

I spent some time playing around with different insurance providers on Medicare's site playing "what if?" games. You aren't kidding about the ED meds. I wonder though if in that case (and others?) the price is based on brand name meds, not generics. One run I did I said I need blood pressure med, cholesterol med and ED med. Total annual cost was $6200, of which around $5800 was the ED med.