PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 14/20 problem

Dave Mcintire
11-12-2023, 12:51 PM
I bought a PM 14/20 new a short while ago and its a wonderful machine but a problem has crept up. The banjo locking handle springs back when engaged. I can’t find anything obviously wrong, although the eye bolt that rides on the shaft is machined a little loose. I haven’t ever come across an issue like this on any of the other 6 or 7 machines I have owned. The banjo comes loose enough that it will move when operating the machine.

i haven’t tried to contact PM yet, thats next, unless anyone here has a good idea.

thanks

Richard Coers
11-12-2023, 1:18 PM
Google search result. "At first I really did not like the PM 2014 banjo. I ran into a BIG problem. The handle would spring back up a little, every time I REALLY pushed the locking handle down to lock the banjo in place. I had to hold the handle down for a few seconds to get it to stay down. Err… Really frustrating.

After a lot head scratching and thought, I decided the problem was there is too much friction between round collar that slides along the round shaft and the round shaft. Red arrow in photo. The collar is a little on the wimpy side. I was deforming it when I pushed down really hard on the locking lever. When I let go, the collar was springing back and rotating the round shaft.

I solved the problem with some white lithium grease. After greasing the round shaft (see photo) the locking level does not spring back up."
https://www.aawforum.org/community/threads/spongy-banjo-lock-on-pm2014.18830/

Dave Mcintire
11-12-2023, 6:52 PM
Gee thanks a lot for the reply Richard, I had a little trouble finding Carl Fords site, but I did and he has a really extensive review of the 2014 including the banjo grease fix. I had some white grease on hand and it solved the problem immediately like magic at no cost vs. some of the thoughtless comments like, run out and buy a Oneway banjo for a few hundred bucks, that Carl explained won’t work anyway.
i guess having people like you to help is one more of the benefits of SMC.

Richard Coers
11-12-2023, 10:46 PM
Gee thanks a lot for the reply Richard, I had a little trouble finding Carl Fords site, but I did and he has a really extensive review of the 2014 including the banjo grease fix. I had some white grease on hand and it solved the problem immediately like magic at no cost vs. some of the thoughtless comments like, run out and buy a Oneway banjo for a few hundred bucks, that Carl explained won’t work anyway.
i guess having people like you to help is one more of the benefits of SMC.
Thanks Dave.

Bernie Kopfer
11-14-2023, 10:56 AM
This sort of information as shared by Richard is what makes these forums so valuable. Those who know a little more than those who don’t, share their knowledge and thereby this world is a better place. Information, techniques and ideas from this forum has saved me hundreds of $ over the years. And sometimes the entertainment factor is priceless.