PDA

View Full Version : HAPPY 248th BIRTHDAY MARINES

Dave Anderson NH
11-10-2023, 10:25 AM
To all my fellow Marines and Hospital Corpsmen (Marines with different stripes) have a great 248th birthday celebration. It doesn't matter whether you are active, retired, or a veteran, you are now and always will be a Marine.

Semper Fi

Dave Anderson NH
Cpl B 1/7 1968
1st Combined Action Group 1969

Michael Weber
11-10-2023, 12:06 PM
Don’t forget to leave out some whiskey and MRE’s for Chesty tonight.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-10-2023, 1:16 PM
Happy Birthday to the USMC!

Mike Henderson
11-10-2023, 3:11 PM
A Happy Birthday to the Corps!

Mike

John Kananis
11-10-2023, 4:13 PM
To all my fellow Marines and Hospital Corpsmen (Marines with different stripes) have a great 248th birthday celebration. It doesn't matter whether you are active, retired, or a veteran, you are now and always will be a Marine.

Semper Fi

Dave Anderson NH
Cpl B 1/7 1968
1st Combined Action Group 1969

Semper Fi, man.

Bernie Kopfer
11-11-2023, 12:23 PM
“you are now and always will be a Marine”

Explain to me how identifying oneself as a “Marine” forever makes this a better world.

Mike Henderson
11-11-2023, 12:45 PM

Explain to me how identifying oneself as a “Marine” forever makes this a better world.

I don't think it's required to make this a better world to identify yourself as a "Marine" or, for example, as an "Electrical Engineer", as I am. I went through a rigorous four year educational experience to become an "Electrical Engineer", and I'm proud to identify myself as such.

The people who became "Marines" went through a different rigorous experience which cannot be fully understood by those who didn't, and I expect they are proud to have completed it and can now identiry theyselves as "Marines".

My hat's off to them.

Mike

[And just a side note, I have no respect for "stolen valor" - people who claim to have served in certain military organizations or to have been awarded certain awards for bravery.]

[And just a second side note: Dave is not just a "Marine" but a "Marine combat veteran of Vietnam". That title comes at a high price.]

Dave Anderson NH
11-11-2023, 4:25 PM
Hi Bernie, Neither I nor anyone else (Marine or not) needs or is impelled to identify ourselves as anything that makes the world better. How we identify is a personal choice. In an answer which immediately comes to mind, Marines help eliminate Naziism, Fascism, and helped to control the spread of Communism. I submit that each of these helped to make our world a better place.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-11-2023, 6:08 PM
As Dave is a combat experienced Marine who fought, and lost friends, fellow Marines in Vietnam, he deserves better than being called out by someone. Marines and veterans of all branches of the US military have helped make the world a better place.

Patty Hann
11-12-2023, 11:06 AM
Monument in France commemorating The Battle of Belleau Wood...the only foreign monument erected solely to honor US Marines
Read about it Battle of Belleau Wood (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Belleau_Wood)

http://francerevisited.com/wp-content/uploads/FR17-Monument-in-Belleau-Wood-GLK.jpg

Mel Fulks
11-12-2023, 12:30 PM
Monument To The Marine Brigade. ( official name)

Michael Weber
11-12-2023, 12:41 PM
Kind of a long story so I won’t get into the details. I surprisingly found a complete Marine dress blue uniform in the attic of a newly purchased home. The name tag was unrelated to any previous owners. After months of trying, the owner was eventually located and the uniform returned. He, but especially his mother who had lost track of it while it was in her safekeeping, were pretty happy.

Mel Fulks
11-12-2023, 2:04 PM
Good work, Michael. I’m thinking his Mom hid the uniform . “Moms are like that ,yeah they are” ( old Tv commercial) .
She probably tore up a few “ Greetings “ envelopes too !

Keegan Shields
11-13-2023, 8:26 AM
Semper Fi.

Keegan Shields
11-13-2023, 9:12 AM

The same way you identifying yourself as a dentist forever makes this a better world...

Edwin Santos
11-20-2023, 5:18 AM
As Dave is a combat experienced Marine who fought, and lost friends, fellow Marines in Vietnam, ....

On a related note, I recently had an opportunity to tour the War Remnants Museum in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon). Highly recommend it if you have an interest in the subject. It is located walking distance from Independence Palace which is also very interesting.

Thomas McCurnin
11-20-2023, 10:11 PM
Dave, I worked with the Marines in February 1968 when I was in the Navy in Hue. I've never seen such bravery and unquestioned obedience to orders in my life. Me? I was a coward and questioned most every order except at ease.