PDA

View Full Version : Need hat / cap to protect bald head

Mark Gibney
11-09-2023, 11:09 AM
I bump my head all the time, tearing the skin on the top.
Drives my wife nuts, and I'm fed up with it too.
The usual peaked caps or baseball caps don't protect the skin well enough, so I'm looking for something with more protection.

If it looks well, that's a bonus, as I'll likely just wear it around everywhere.

thanks, Mark

Jamie Buxton
11-09-2023, 11:22 AM
Look up "bump caps". They're intended to do exactly what you want. Most of them look pretty industrial, but some don't.

Jim Allen
11-09-2023, 11:28 AM
I had eyelid reduction surgery ~10 years ago, the head bumping has been a lot more infrequent then it used to be.

Sam Force
11-09-2023, 1:28 PM
Rather than a bump cap, look for a "bump cap insert". This could be put into any ball cap, or stocking cap etc. count me in the same group, if there is not a sore spot on my head I must be sick

mike calabrese
11-09-2023, 3:30 PM
I feel your pain..........I am a cue ball my daughter calls me shiner been there since my early 20's. It Is amazing how much pain can be imparted even to the hardest head with even the slightest bump.
Those of you who have a top mop will not understand how even the smallest amount of hair on top will give you an early warning of impending pain from contact and allow you to mitigate of avoid completely the contact. Sailors and ship builders even with a full head of hair knew this and wore hats with pompoms on them to protect them from bumping their heads in tight spaces or when the seas were rough.
Your best bet if you like baseball style caps is to get a STRUCTURED cap.
These are the style caps with a stiff buckrum (front of the cap) and typically sit high above the top of your head relative to a fitted or slump style cap.
Often known as trucker caps they ride high and typically have a mesh back. These are relatively cheap hats .
The pics here are some examples.
calabrese55

Derek Meyer
11-09-2023, 4:22 PM
I found out that with typical ball caps with mesh sides and back, my head sunburns through the hat. I've gone to wearing the authentic MLB team caps, which are fully solid, but not adjustable, so I have to buy the correct size for my head. They work better in rainy weather for keeping my head dry, too.

Pat Germain
11-09-2023, 5:05 PM
The typical flat cap is made of very thick material and would provide good bump protection. But they are only good for winter wear. Too hot for summer! (If you're not familiar with a flat cap, Google "Peaky Blinders Cap".)

Rob Luter
11-09-2023, 6:24 PM
I wear a hat of some sort year round. A fitted ball cap, mesh flatcap, or summer fedora in the heat and a wool ascot or watch cap in the cold. A ball cap is decent scalp protection excepting the button on top that acts like a center punch if you bang it. DAMHIKT. Outdoor research makes a nice thin fleece beanie cap that is comfy and protective, albeit a little warm sometimes.

Paul F Franklin
11-09-2023, 8:22 PM
I would think a typical Donegal tweed cap would do the trick, and lots of styles are available.

Jack Frederick
11-09-2023, 8:37 PM
For winter wear, I just ran across a Milwaukee skull cap type that is quite thick. I will wear it this winter. I have been shaving my head for 25+ yrs now and we share the same experience. It’s just the way it is.

Mark Gibney
11-09-2023, 10:14 PM
I ordered an Irish tweed type cap. It's a start, we'll see how it goes.
All the bump caps are thick PVC looking, and wouldn't be effortlessly comfortable to wear, so of course I won't have it on when I hit my head next.
Thanks for all the feedback!

Patty Hann
11-10-2023, 1:37 AM
I bump my head all the time, tearing the skin on the top.
Drives my wife nuts, and I'm fed up with it too.
...thanks, Mark

What are you bumping it on? How low are your ceilings? ;)

mike calabrese
11-10-2023, 6:59 AM
Why not just cut to the chase and get one of these. It will keep you from crashing into something up in the air and the added plus understand every time you have a great idea the propeller spins faster all by itself .
calabrese55

Rich Engelhardt
11-10-2023, 8:26 AM
If you prefer function over form, pick up a bike riding (bicycle) helmet.

Light and comfortable enough to do heavy physical work in.

Mark Gibney
11-10-2023, 9:40 AM
In my case the propeller will remain static as a scarecrow.

Tom M King
11-10-2023, 12:02 PM
I've been wearing Nike fitted caps for a good while now. They don't come in many sizes but the largest fits fine. The thing I like about them is they can be thrown in the washing machine multiple times with no ill effect on them. They're expensive if you don't catch them on sale, but last many times longer than the team affiliated ones.

I don't like the flex fit stretch caps. They give me a headache.

Maurice Mcmurry
11-10-2023, 7:57 PM
Fjallraven makes lovely hats. I also have a Portland Cashmere that is special. My knowledge of both is down to my Daughter. She keeps me in nice hats.

510197 My widows peak keeps climbing. This cashmere is pure luxury on bare skin.

My builds and my tools are rather junky compared to others on SMC, but I still have my mop top. The scalp underneath usually has a wound or two.

I am enjoying having a full size van again. I do miss some things about the old mini-van. I do not miss the hatch back rear door with the weakening gas spring!
I need to see if I can find my attic and crawl space hat. It has been paper mache-ed with enough Titebond and strips of red rosin paper to keep an over long roofing or flooring nail from poking through while bumping along in a tight spot. Dropping the basin wrench while having head and shoulders stuck inside a cabinet is less unpleasant with a hat on.

mike calabrese
11-10-2023, 8:22 PM
In my case the propeller will remain static as a scarecrow.
We all live in the land of OZ ......................you never know :p

calabrese55

Warren Lake
11-10-2023, 9:41 PM
Rain drops let me know there used to be hair. Raindrops keep falling on my head. One low ceiling room ive scraped the metal flashing that joins the cold air return. Rips hairs and skin off same times. So many head bangs and bumps that likely look the moon.

Im waiting for this

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/skin-moles-grow-hair-treatment-baldness-study-rcna90643

Clifford McGuire
11-11-2023, 7:54 PM
I like the Stromy Kromer hats. Made in the UP of Michigan. I have a regular model (good for cooler weather) and a summer weight model.

I think they're stylish, but people don't really ask me for fashion advice.