PDA

View Full Version : Anti Static Hose

Jack Clark
02-03-2006, 5:41 PM
I'm relatively new here, so please bear with me if this subject has already been covered in depth.

Durning the dry summer months in my location (Sacramento Valley, Calif.), using a ROS attached to a Fein vacuum often produces lots of static electricity shocks that can be very annoying. I'm real curous about how well the Festool antistatic hoses work. I'm especially interested in hearing from anyone using one of these hoses in Arizona, where it's seriously dry most of the time.

Thanks

Mark Rios
02-03-2006, 8:34 PM
Hey, Welcome Jack. I'm just down the road from you in Modesto. Nice ta meetya.

These other folks will get you squared away with your hose trouble. They're great.

Jack Clark
02-03-2006, 9:58 PM
Yes indeed, this Sawmill Creek crowd has a lot of energy, and a lot of smarts. Nice combination. :)

Steve Evans
02-03-2006, 11:00 PM
Jack

Up here in Canada, in what is passing for a winter, we typically get lots of static action this time of year. I just spent the last two days sanding on site with a CT22 and a Rotex, a 150/5 and a LS130 and never received a single shock. So based on that I would say that it works pretty good.

Jack Clark
02-04-2006, 11:19 PM
Jack

Up here in Canada, in what is passing for a winter, we typically get lots of static action this time of year. I just spent the last two days sanding on site with a CT22 and a Rotex, a 150/5 and a LS130 and never received a single shock. So based on that I would say that it works pretty good.

Thanks Steve.

I completely forgot that a large portion of our continent experieces very low humidities in the winter when California is mostly cool/moist and static electricity is not a big issue. Based on your reply, I will probably purchase a Festool anti-static hose and adapt it to my Fein.

Thanks again.

Andy Pedler
02-05-2006, 12:52 AM
I'm certainly no expert here, but couldn't you make your regular hose "anti-static" by just adding a conductor along it, like a wire or something? Maybe even the wire from a telephone cord, or something similar, that would allow flexibility?

Anti-static typically just means that something is mildly conductive, allowing electrical charge to spread out over the surface, with low enough resistance to keep the static voltage low, and thus preventing a shock.

Has anyone improvised their own anti-static hoses? Maybe the anti-static ones are inexpensive enough that this is not time well spent, but who knows. Seems like it shouldn't be too hard.

Jack Clark
02-05-2006, 1:09 AM
[QUOTE= Maybe the anti-static ones are inexpensive enough that this is not time well spent, but who knows. Seems like it shouldn't be too hard.[/QUOTE]

Hey I'm way open to suggestions. Those anti-static hoses are pretty expensive.

Bart Leetch
02-05-2006, 10:37 AM
Hey I'm way open to suggestions. Those anti-static hoses are pretty expensive.

I stand on a rubber anti-fatigue mat so far I have never been shocked.:eek: :D