PDA

View Full Version : Source for Cherry Northwest-NJ

John Kananis
11-08-2023, 9:43 AM
I'm out in Warren county NJ (close to Stroudsburg and Easton PA) and have a hek of a time sourcing cherry. I had a guy...(we all know the rest of that story). Can anyone give some direction? I'm looking for rough sawn, kiln-dried and ready to work material from a credible supplier and can't drive 100 miles for it (back issues). Stock would be used for table legs, tops, carcass work, etc. Thanks in advance, guys...

George Yetka
11-08-2023, 9:47 AM
Boards and beams
1275 Bloomfield Ave Suite 92, Fairfield, NJ 07004

John Kananis
11-08-2023, 9:52 AM
Hey George,

Thanks for the suggestion (I'll check it out)! Is that a retail outfit? I was hoping to find either a sawmill or place that sells to cabinet and furniture shops.

Boards and beams

Earl McLain
11-08-2023, 10:12 AM
In the last 10-12 years i've read so many postings and seen so many pictures of Eastern Pennsylvania cherry that i've come to think of that area as being the world capitol of cherry. That may be a misconception on my part, so hopefully a few of the Eastern PA members will chime in on small mills for you.

George Yetka
11-08-2023, 10:15 AM
Retail. The pricing seams fair. The wood is good and they have a lot. You go and pull what you need they list it on a piece of paper and you take it to cashier. Wood is well dried, at least the 3-400 bf I have purchased. Their main business is supplying General contractors. If you spend 1500 or so they give a contractor discount, I like to buy wood once a year at about 200 bf unless theres something I have planned above and beyond normal yearly projects.

George Yetka
11-08-2023, 10:17 AM
https://www.woodboardsandbeams.com/hardwoods
The background in this is taken 15-20' into the warehouse. Wood goes all the way to the back and turns into a hallway with slabs.

Jim Becker
11-08-2023, 10:22 AM
Also Willard Bros in Trenton NJ. It's not a terrible drive from Warren County and you can visit Hot Dog Jonny's while driving along the river. :)

John Kananis
11-08-2023, 10:32 AM
https://www.woodboardsandbeams.com/hardwoods
The background in this is taken 15-20' into the warehouse. Wood goes all the way to the back and turns into a hallway with slabs.

I'll go check it out, thanks again.

Also Willard Bros in Trenton NJ. It's not a terrible drive from Warren County and you can visit Hot Dog Jonny's while driving along the river. :)

I know that place but it's 1.5 hours each way. Too far for me. Johnny's is only 15 minutes away though lol.

Jim Becker
11-08-2023, 1:33 PM
I'm surprised it takes that long to take 46 to 31 and then I-295 to Willard, but I'm sure you have more experience than I. But your point is valid and the reason I only hit Hearne once or twice a year...that 1.5 hour travel each way...combined with massive outflow from my wallet, of course. LOL

I haven't been to Hot Dog Johnny's in awhile, but it's been there for like "forever" for sure! ('Creeker Fred Voorhees hits it with reasonable frequency.)

John Kananis
11-08-2023, 2:03 PM
It's the peanut oil that they fry the dogs in that make them so tasty.

And yeah, 46 to 31. Just checked Google, 70 miles at 1 hour and 40 minutes or so.

I'm surprised it takes that long to take 46 to 31 and then I-295 to Willard, but I'm sure you have more experience than I. But your point is valid and the reason I only hit Hearne once or twice a year...that 1.5 hour travel each way...combined with massive outflow from my wallet, of course. LOL

I haven't been to Hot Dog Johnny's in awhile, but it's been there for like "forever" for sure! ('Creeker Fred Voorhees hits it with reasonable frequency.)

Jim Becker
11-08-2023, 5:08 PM
I would think there might be some sources in and around the "Leaky Valley" across the river, but I've honestly never looked that far north.

John Kananis
11-08-2023, 5:21 PM
Exactly what I'm looking for. I've heard (around the campfire) that there are some great sources for cherry out here, just a little west of me. Alas, the speakeasy is difficult to find without an invite.

I would think there might be some sources in and around the "Leaky Valley" across the river, but I've honestly never looked that far north.

Phil Gaudio
11-08-2023, 9:17 PM
I'm out in Warren county NJ (close to Stroudsburg and Easton PA) and have a hek of a time sourcing cherry. I had a guy...(we all know the rest of that story). Can anyone give some direction? I'm looking for rough sawn, kiln-dried and ready to work material from a credible supplier and can't drive 100 miles for it (back issues). Stock would be used for table legs, tops, carcass work, etc. Thanks in advance, guys...

I think PA is Mecca for cherry: you have Groff & Groff, Hearne Hardwoods, and Irion Lumber. The closest would be at least 2 hours from Easton. I am in Connecticut and have had cherry shipped to me multiple times from Groff & Groff and Irion: got some beautiful lumber, but there is a bit of a freight charge.

Warren Lake
11-08-2023, 9:32 PM
I could get really good cherry from one company here past but it came from Penn, then not so good from others here. One even sent me to some of those mills you mention and remember seeing the whole log in order spacers between

Ultimate way to purchase if you are Doucette and Wolf level. Often could get 16 foot boards and for some projects the one board was enough for the whole thing so lay out for the best for all of it and it all matched really grain pattern and colour.

Phil Gaudio
11-08-2023, 10:07 PM
I could get really good cherry from one company here past but it came from Penn, then not so good from others here. One even sent me to some of those mills you mention and remember seeing the whole log in order spacers between

Ultimate way to purchase if you are Doucette and Wolf level. Often could get 16 foot boards and for some projects the one board was enough for the whole thing so lay out for the best for all of it and it all matched really grain pattern and colour.

Here is what the last load from Irion looked like: 5/4 virtually all clear with beautiful grain: still working off this stock:

https://i.postimg.cc/bJ7LDTqz/25316-900-1.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

John Kananis
11-09-2023, 8:49 AM
Phil, those would be great but between 2-2.5 hours away. Not excited about paying for freight either tbh.

I think PA is Mecca for cherry: you have Groff & Groff, Hearne Hardwoods, and Irion Lumber. The closest would be at least 2 hours from Easton. I am in Connecticut and have had cherry shipped to me multiple times from Groff & Groff and Irion: got some beautiful lumber, but there is a bit of a freight charge.

Mike Congiusti
11-09-2023, 9:42 AM
John,

When I lived in Bear Creek PA (Luzurne County) I bought from many of the stores already mentioned. Wehrungs in Ottsville. PA also has a great supply of many woods and moldings to match. I now live in SC and sources around here stink! When I go back home to PA I stop by a place in Virginia, CP Johnson in Elkwood. Fantastic supply of cherry and wide boards too. Prices are the best I've seen.

Even with my back, I make the trip.

https://wehrungs.com/

https://cpjohnsonlumber.com/

Jim Becker
11-09-2023, 10:52 AM
Mike, I've done business with Wehrungs many times as they are local to me, both the full service lumber yard as well as their Specialty Woods division that sells the hardwood. Specialty Woods is nice and usually has stock of most of the expected species. They can be a little higher priced than other purveyors in the area but are a pleasure to do business with. They provided the excellent VG D-Fir I needed a few years ago for the giant "kitchen continent" top I did for a client at the time. I mostly buy domestics from Buck County Hardwoods at this point if I'm not making a run to Hearne a couple times a year to empty my wallet on kewel wood. LOL

Mike Congiusti
11-09-2023, 11:00 AM
Mike, I've done business with Wehrungs many times as they are local to me, both the full service lumber yard as well as their Specialty Woods division that sells the hardwood. Specialty Woods is nice and usually has stock of most of the expected species. They can be a little higher priced than other purveyors in the area but are a pleasure to do business with. They provided the excellent VG D-Fir I needed a few years ago for the giant "kitchen continent" top I did for a client at the time. I mostly buy domestics from Buck County Hardwoods at this point if I'm not making a run to Hearne a couple times a year to empty my wallet on kewel wood. LOL

Jim,

I bought stuff from Hearne too. Mostly 8/4 stock, and yes, I found them very pricey and very happy to empty my wallet. When I lived in PA I had a lot of small mills all around me that provided many choices and mostly excellent products. I was back in PA a few weeks ago and on my way back I stopped at CP Johnson for more cherry and curly maple. Love being retired. I just need to get a bigger boat! :D

Curt Harms
11-09-2023, 11:10 AM
Here's a possibility - Baily Wood Products in Kempton, PA. I've never done business with them but Google Maps say they're around 40 miles from Easton, PA. and doesn't look like a difficult drive. Might be worth a call.
https://baileywp.com/lumber/

Another thought - Heacock used to have K.D. Cherry upon occasion. I haven't been there in some time but they mostly had A.D. red & white oak. Lots of what I assume are beams for timber framers and they had slabs. Not a nicely stacked retail operation but their prices reflect that.
https://www.heacocklumber.com/products.html

John Kananis
11-09-2023, 2:08 PM
I'm going to head over to Boards and Beams tomorrow. Spoke with them over the phone and their pricing seems fair for nj. 6 bucks a bf for 8/4 cherry (rough sawn)... could be better I suppose. Delivery is outrageous however at 160 bucks flat rate (40 minute drive) so I'll pick up.

Jim Becker
11-09-2023, 2:43 PM
$6/bf for 8/4 cherry sounds pretty reasonable to me, honestly. And the nice thing about picking up is that you hopefully can choose the material carefully for grain and color.

John Kananis
11-10-2023, 3:54 PM
Bah, never made it out there. Got on rt80 and my truck had a shimmy. A little more than what a missing wheel weight would cause... shop can't take me until Wednesday so I'll figure something else out.

John Kananis
11-20-2023, 2:56 PM
George, thanks for this. I finally made it there. 5.88bf for 8/4 cherry and 4.32 for 4/4. Maple was a little costly at 6.08 for 5/4 but not horrible. I'm really happy with their selection in general but no quarter sawn, which is frustrating - so I'll need to find some of that for my drawer sides but happy overall. Thanks again.

Boards and beams

Jim Becker
11-20-2023, 2:58 PM
Nice prices on the cherry. ‘Glad you finally got it!

George Yetka
11-20-2023, 3:43 PM
Jim,

I bought stuff from Hearne too. Mostly 8/4 stock, and yes, I found them very pricey and very happy to empty my wallet. When I lived in PA I had a lot of small mills all around me that provided many choices and mostly excellent products. I was back in PA a few weeks ago and on my way back I stopped at CP Johnson for more cherry and curly maple. Love being retired. I just need to get a bigger boat! :D

I thought they were reasonable and had good product. The NJ dealers Willard, B&B are 30% more with a smaller stock. Groff priced out higher too.

OP Hearne is a 2-3 ride for you but its worth it if you do it once a year for a substantial order.