PDA

View Full Version : Help me spend birthday present money..

Dan Kraakenes
11-08-2023, 5:30 AM
Thought this might suit here…

Just had a 40th birthday and was given $5000 to buy whatever I want.

I have a few hobbies, star and bird watching, shooting, music, books and woodworking.
And I feel I only lack woodworking items. The rest is covered.
I use handtools 99.8%..

And as the shop area we built went from 360sq.ft for only my use, to 226sq.ft, to now maybe 114sq.ft (I still have option of assembly in 226sq.ft room, but feel room layout may be better for me in 114sq.ft. Not quite decided yet. So garage split into 3 rooms, approx, 100, 114, 226. The smallest room is storage, and where I’ll put my few power tools for rough dimensioning.

I have some power tools from when we built house. A miter saw, tracksaw, jigsaw, vacum, and MIGHT get a hand held planer, for the times I come across free/cheap lumber and it needs to get quickly ’’adjusted’’.

So all that back story filled out… my wife would prefer me to get a BIG present, instead of lots of smaller ones. But not particularly easy… and its a priority that it lasts a long time in my woood hobbying career.

The only two things I can think of quickly, is
- Tormek T-8 50th anniversary edition ($650+++) (with 50 year warranty) for many of my varied sharpeing needs.
- Sjøberg Elite 2000 workbench, ($1500) without cabinets and build cabinets myself. (But a bit conserned about racking, as in nearly half of videos I have seen of it, it moves when people push it)
- Clamps are needed, and nothing says how you feel about someone, as when you gift then clamps… ;) ;)

So a question could be…
If you where to start out again, knowing what you know, what would you spend $5000 on, that you knew would last and give pleasure in use.

Carl Beckett
11-08-2023, 7:01 AM
tbh I couldnt spend it.

The workbench came to mind before I saw it was already on your list. Or nice hardware and lumber to build your own. That is the single greatest lasting major piece I can think of for hand tool user.

Or some 'fancy' wood - and again make something from that that you can see/touch on a regular basis.

Or a class. I have never done it, but a week long woodworking class leaves an experience and skill to take with you. Maybe you can combine it in a way your wife can go with and share the trip during off hours.

Any upgrade to teh working space (AC if not already there)

Else upgrading all your planes and chisels and saws is an obvious path but little items... maybe combining all at once makes it a big item? There are members here that have small spaces in apartments that do quite well. A complete setup/outfit for the space could be nice - it means specific space design combined with the type of project you want to do.

Kent A Bathurst
11-08-2023, 7:54 AM
- Sjøberg Elite 2000 workbench, ($1500) without cabinets and build cabinets myself. (But a bit conserned about racking, as in nearly half of videos I have seen of it, it moves when people push it)

Build and install the cabinets; attach to the table's frame; load them up

Racking problem solved

James Jayko
11-08-2023, 8:21 AM
I was going to say the Benchcrafted hardware and the lumber for the Roubo...

Dwayne Watt
11-08-2023, 8:48 AM
A wood lathe plus needed accessories (scroll chuck or two, a couple bowl gouges, a spindle gouge, a couple scrapers, parting tool, and a sharpening setup) will use up your $5000 plus fit well within your very modest space.

glenn bradley
11-08-2023, 8:50 AM
My Tormek got used so little it is now in an outbuilding somewhere. So many quicker ways to get back to work. A workbench I would make as I would with other shop fixtures. Spending money on a hand tool shop just to try to spend it can be tough. I would bank it and draw on it as the needs come up. That way I would get things I really need and not things I think I need like the wet sharpener or a miter saw. A large bandsaw can be a boon even in a hand tool shop. A vacuum press setup is also an idea.

Andrew Hughes
11-08-2023, 9:08 AM
I vote for a work bench.
One you can sit at so no cabinets or storage underneath
Good Luck

George Yetka
11-08-2023, 9:09 AM
Congrats on making it to 40. At this point in life they say you get into grilling or ww1&2 history.

I suggest a good smoker and start listening to Dan Carlins Hardcore history on WW1 this will leave you $3500

If you shoot alot it is cheaper to reload so investing into that May not save you money but allow you to shoot more for the money you spend

Todd Zucker
11-08-2023, 9:49 AM
I vote for the workbench.

Buying the wood and hardware makes for a satisfying project, and if you are being forced to spend the $$ you won’t be tempted to skimp on the wood like I did. You can size it to fit your work space.

Lie Nielsen has a really nice looking workbench but out of stock at the moment. It is a little longer than the one you are considering. I haven’t seen it in person but it looks sturdy.

Jamie Buxton
11-08-2023, 10:56 AM
Trying to build stuff in 100 sq ft is difficult. I'd put the $5K into creating more shop space.

Jonathan Jung
11-08-2023, 11:17 AM
Pick the project first, then buy the tools to make it.

mike stenson
11-08-2023, 12:28 PM
Congrats on making it to 40. At this point in life they say you get into grilling or ww1&2 history.

I suggest a good smoker and start listening to Dan Carlins Hardcore history on WW1 this will leave you $3500

If you shoot alot it is cheaper to reload so investing into that May not save you money but allow you to shoot more for the money you spend

...and build a bench

Jim Reffner
11-08-2023, 12:55 PM
5 grand and you don't know what to do with it? Sounds like a first world problem. SMH.

Zachary Hoyt
11-08-2023, 1:39 PM
I'm not a high-end hand tool user myself, but I think there are some planes and things that are in the upper 3 digits if not higher, if getting rid of money fast for things that fit in a small space is a goal.

Mike Soaper
11-08-2023, 2:04 PM
Given the space constrains I'd consider a workbench and a small portable benchtop planer(makita?) that can be relatively easily taken outside for doing bulk stock removal then tucked away when stored.

If you have the space a nice resaw bandsaw

Brian Tymchak
11-08-2023, 2:57 PM
I like Dwayne's idea of a nice lathe. And lay in a stash of exotic lumber - pink ivory, cuban mahogany, ancient khari, yellow heart if you can find it. Even some domestic species are going to become scarce due to pest invasion (ala Chestnut) - Ash, American Walnut.

Patrick McCarthy
11-08-2023, 3:53 PM
ditto what Jonathan Jung said; pick the project(s) first and then the tools.

More importantly, take her for a romantic weekend. She is a keeper.

Apparently you are doing something right! Congrats, Patrick

Michael Burnside
11-08-2023, 4:42 PM
Personally I'd buy a OneFinity CNC but that's just me :D

OP, you should spend it in whatever way brings you the most joy. After all, this is a first world problem to have, so enjoy the opportunity.

Tom Trees
11-08-2023, 6:00 PM
Easy, a big 20" bandsaw, as it's the perfect accompaniment to the Neanderthal.
That might mean a possible upgrade to your supply, especially if you're wanting dust extraction,
I don't have any, but I've got a 24" machine, with plenty of space around the wheels,
so they don't act as a blower, big difference compared to the much more compact frame design of far Eastern 20"
which also had a very small table, both being a remedy for lots more dust,
not to mention brings one much closer to the blade, and a balancing act for the likes of tenons.
Although I could be slightly mistaken as to why, as it could be the solid wheels and slow starting ability from the VFD which reduces that?

Either way, been meaning to get a new vacuum, and nice quality plastic handled radiator paint brush for the meantime,
until I get setup with proper DC system.
Going three phase means something like what I suggest, a Centauro CO (one with foot mount motor) could likely be bought quite cheaply,
say for the same money as the cheapest 12" or 14" on the market...
as used = half price of new machine, and three phase, you can half that figure again.

Going the soft start VFD might indeed be more preferable to someone who likes things a bit more welcoming to the Neander.

Plenty of money for a decent workbench after that. and if doing things simply or cheaply, say even a decent slab on trestles
then you might find f-clamps might not having drawers underneath.

All the best
Tom

Brian Runau
11-08-2023, 6:56 PM
It would be easier to spend a lot of money on a nice telescope. Brian

Dan Kraakenes
11-09-2023, 3:21 AM
It would be easier to spend a lot of money on a nice telescope. Brian

I could buy one of my dream binoculars, Nikon WX 10x50.
Would cost $5400 importerd.

I am more of binocular / binocular telescope person.
Prefer the sealed system in my colder location and condensation problems.

Richard Coers
11-09-2023, 11:27 AM
Congrats on making it to 40.
Really? Making it to 40 is an accomplishment? I felt good making it to 70, but didn't even cross my mind at 40.

Maurice Mcmurry
11-11-2023, 9:41 AM
Happy Birthday. Nice present!

Stan Calow
11-11-2023, 10:07 AM
Every project I do starts and ends on a workbench. Sharpening is something done occasionally and can be done without power tools.

mike stenson
11-11-2023, 10:09 AM
I'll add that the only time I use my tormek is for turning tools. It's way too slow otherwise. So for the last couple decades it mostly sits unused as I don't turn often.

Rob Luter
11-11-2023, 10:17 AM
#1 on my list would be the workbench. It's literally the foundation of everything. A Tormec would be nice, but a bit extravagant for a one man shop. If I had to sharpen tools day in and day out, then maybe a power option. As it is, my stone set is quick and effective.

Tony Shea
11-11-2023, 10:25 AM
As a heavy hand tool user myself, the one power tool I could not live without is a bandsaw. I use a 17" bandsaw almost every time I get in the shop. A bandsaw is such a great companion to a hand tool woodworker.

Kent A Bathurst
11-11-2023, 11:59 AM
Wait. I got it

Take the “went out in a blaze of glory” path

Get one Holtey or Leamy plane

Use it. Don’t use it. That’s not the issue