PDA

View Full Version : Saw blade protective shipping cases

Mike Mastin
07-24-2003, 10:56 AM
I am trying to locate a source for the protective plastic saw blade shipping cases. I need to ship my WWII back to Forrest for resharpening and want to protect it during shipment.

markus shaffer
07-24-2003, 11:20 AM
Mike,

I would just cut a couple square pieces of 1/2" plywood, drill a hole through the middle and sandwhich the blade between the two pieces. Then run a nut and bolt through the whole thing and crank it down enough to keep it together. Then just box that in cardboard. If you've got a ten inch blade, perhaps you could cut the plywood just shy of 12" square, then find a box made for shipping records. Smaller independent music stores still sell a lot of records, but it might just be easier to go to a shipping store that sells boxes. Also, if I remember correctly, a past issue of shop notes magazine had some plans for portable blade storage.

-Markus

Byron Trantham
07-24-2003, 11:40 AM
I kept the cardboard "sleeve" that my WWII came in and used that to send it back to them for sharpening. Worked fine. It's simply a piece of card board folded over at each edge and (they stapled it) taped shut. I also kept the 12" sleeve that my Forrest chop saw blade came in. Haven't needed to sharpen it yet but I have the "shipping container". :)

Dan Stuewe
07-24-2003, 11:44 AM
The couple of blades I've ordered were shipped in heavier duty courragated cardboard, so that should be fine. I've also seen plastic rings for storing blades that would probably work for shipping them too (inside a box). Another less expensive option is using some soft rubber tubing with a cut down its length to protect the teeth. But the first class packing method can be found here at woodworker's supply (woodworker.com). They have a leather pouch for storing circular saw blades up to 12". (Do a search on "saw blade satchel")

Ken Salisbury
07-24-2003, 11:48 AM
I am trying to locate a source for the protective plastic saw blade shipping cases. I need to ship my WWII back to Forrest for resharpening and want to protect it during shipment.

I would just get a thin flat carboard box - wrap the blade in bubble wrap and send to Forrest. When you get it back it will come in a heavy duty cardboard box which you can save and use the next time - I have 2 of them that I keep for that purpose.

Mike Mastin
07-24-2003, 12:03 PM
I just ordered a second WWII, so that I have one to use while the other is away being sharpened. If this new one is shipped to me in a heavy cardboard sleeve, I will just use this one as part of the packaging to send it to Forrest for sharpening. Thanks for the input to all.

Robert Goodwin
07-24-2003, 3:31 PM
I was going to make a nice dovetailed box for this very reason, but then figured that they probably would not keep the packaging with the blade while it was being sharpened and I would end up getting in back without the box I sent it in.

Rob