PDA

View Full Version : Blue Gum Eucalyptus

Andrew Hughes
11-07-2023, 9:22 PM
I’m calling this a tablet table the shelf is a perfect size for holding a device.
Still working out some design and construction details. This one is unique enough for sharing and will be a strong pattern. Until I make one better hopefully.
The segmented top and shelf came to pass because of the small chunks I had to work with. It all held together with a dominos.
Its a fun and challenging piece to make.
The finish is Rubio monocoat pure oil.

Prashun Patel
11-07-2023, 10:24 PM
That is really beautiful. I appreciate all the details you've put into this. The wood is beautiful and you've showcased it perfectly.

Lisa Starr
11-08-2023, 10:49 AM
Wonderful details, especially like the pattern on the lower shelf.

Jamie Buxton
11-08-2023, 11:00 AM
How did you find blue gum eucalyptus? It sure is pretty stuff. The knock on it is that is splits and curls during drying. I don't know of anybody in northern California who even tries.

Jim Reffner
11-08-2023, 1:44 PM
Thanks for sharing Andrew. I had no idea blue gum eucalyptus was on the planet. Glad you found it and turned it in to such a beautiful piece.

Andrew Hughes
11-08-2023, 10:24 PM
G
How did you find blue gum eucalyptus? It sure is pretty stuff. The knock on it is that is splits and curls during drying. I don't know of anybody in northern California who even tries.

What I was told the tree came from foothills in Alta Loma. I think the tree was damaged during a seasonal fire one year then blow over another year. This was property of a prestigious woodworker. I was gifted some of the slabs one year when I was dry begging for wood.
You are absolutely correct about drying it. The slabs I was given were horribly cracked and twisted the lose was near 50%.
Hard and heavy full of gum but easy to work with handtool. But brutal on machines because of the gum.
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Christian Hawkshaw
11-09-2023, 5:10 PM
Very nice; and the joinery is top notch. You had to work hard to get some useable lumber from those twisted pieces.

Ron Citerone
11-12-2023, 9:38 PM
Very interesting wood. Very beautifully desined and presented.

Mike Wilkins
11-12-2023, 10:54 PM
Fine table and some gorgeous wood.

Maurice Mcmurry
11-13-2023, 7:32 AM
It is beautiful! Those chunks of wood look like they were challenging.

Chris Parks
11-14-2023, 6:02 PM
It sounds and looks like what we call Sydney Blue Gum, I was lucky enough to get really good boards to make a chair out of and when I wanted more the wood available was simply unusable due to cracking. be aware it is a very dense wood and the chair I made weighs a lot!