PDA

View Full Version : Can this molding profile be made?!

David Iliyn
11-06-2023, 3:25 PM
I have a questions regarding a molding profile. Or multi step router setup.

Im wondering if something like this would be possible? I am currently just cutting and gluing round stock and cutting miters, but it has become time consuming.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tony Joyce
11-06-2023, 3:37 PM
Short answer, absolutely possible.

David Iliyn
11-06-2023, 3:43 PM
after thinking about it, the profile could actually be this instead. 509947

Ronald Blue
11-06-2023, 3:43 PM
Edge beading router bit possibly? Might be better on a shaper with a cutter just for this. If this is going to be something you will be doing a lot of it will make a difference in what solution you might choose. I'm sure there are much better ideas forth coming.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-1-4-bead-cutter-1-4-shank/c1545z

David Iliyn
11-06-2023, 3:53 PM
the hard part is I really want to get that sharp point on one side!

George Yetka
11-06-2023, 4:04 PM
https://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/cdn/shop/products/1430-N_grande.jpg?v=1541708665

This is a whiteside 1430 I would contact them and ask if they can make it so that it stops as soon as the curve becomes flat. It may be a bit week though.

You may even be able to grind it yourself

Tom M King
11-06-2023, 4:21 PM
A sharp quirk is an easy job for a molding plane, but not so easy for powered spinning cutters. That's what Snipe Bill planes are for. In this case, a side bead plane. The 1/8" radius is just a 1/4" side bead on one side of it. The rest of the round on the other half of the thickness could be done with a router bit.

I have both a 1/4" side bead plane, and palm router set up with an 1/8" radius roundover bit (as well as other routers ready to go from 1/16" up to 3/4"), so it would be a short job here. Run the roundover on the flat side first, and the beaded side second, to give the router bit bearing something to ride on.

No one likes to make custom router bits for sharp quirks, but they will do it if you swear you won't blame them if the sharp little point breaks off before they have to explain it to you.

Warren Lake
11-06-2023, 4:37 PM
one piece or 100.

On the simple side sears moulding head and grind your own. Better, high speed steel corg for a shaper.

Brian Gumpper
11-06-2023, 5:29 PM
Closest bit I've seen is the CMT Wainscot but but it has a bevel on the other side.

David Iliyn
11-06-2023, 5:33 PM
one piece or 100.

On the simple side sears moulding head and grind your own. Better, high speed steel corg for a shaper.

it would be for an on going item I would be producing. So likely 100

Brian Runau
11-06-2023, 6:08 PM
My 1st engineering job they had a sign on the wall that said, "standardize. " Use readily available items in your design, not one offs. Consider changing your design to use off the shelf bits with fewer passes to save labor and make it more easily repeatable. Just an opinion. Brian

roger wiegand
11-06-2023, 6:17 PM
deleted because it was wrong

David Iliyn
11-06-2023, 6:18 PM
My 1st engineering job they had a sign on the wall that said, "standardize. " Use readily available items in your design, not one offs. Consider changing your design to use off the shelf bits with fewer passes to save labor and make it more easily repeatable. Just an opinion. Brian

Yeah you couldn't be more right...
I may just need to continue doing it the way I was with 1/4 round stock and mitering it, gluing and pin nailing. Its just difficult to cut the miters on round stock!

Brian Runau
11-06-2023, 7:25 PM
Yeah you couldn't be more right...
I may just need to continue doing it the way I was with 1/4 round stock and mitering it, gluing and pin nailing. Its just difficult to cut the miters on round stock!

What would happen if you took one of the bits mentioned above and ran a 2nd pass after turning the stock 90 degrees after the 1st pass? Assuming you can without damaging the piece or yourself. Brian

Jared Sankovich
11-06-2023, 8:49 PM
after thinking about it, the profile could actually be this instead. 509947

Its very close to a standard bead and quirk profile.

Tom M King
11-06-2023, 9:04 PM
For ongoing pieces that small if not dedicating a shaper to it Whiteside will make multiples of six router bits. Others will make singles but Whiteside no longer makes singles.