PDA

View Full Version : CA Glue Accelerator - Where to buy?

Rob Luter
11-05-2023, 7:45 AM
Title says it all. What retailers would have this stuff? I've asked at a craft store and at a couple hardware stores and they look at me like I'm speaking Klingon. I can get it on-line but would rather get locally if possible.

Lee Schierer
11-05-2023, 7:47 AM
The last spray can of accelerator I purchased was from Rockler (https://www.rockler.com/aerosol-activator-for-quick-set-glue).

Walter Plummer
11-05-2023, 7:54 AM
I can get it at Woodcraft, Ace hardware and the local lumber yard.

Robert LaPlaca
11-05-2023, 8:14 AM
Rob, almost any good hobby store should have accelerator..

Dave Sabo
11-05-2023, 8:33 AM
Woodcraft

Rockler

Hobby Lobby

some ACE hardwares
some local Independent Hardware stores

Michaels has been known to have it at some stores

Local Hobby / Plastic Model / Train stores

I've also seen it at 1-2 boat supply places

I think I've seen it at some specialty wood dealers too.

Rob Luter
11-05-2023, 9:34 AM
Thanks for the tips. I've apparently been asking the wrong CSR's (that or they're not very informed).

John TenEyck
11-05-2023, 9:51 AM
And there's always Amazon. I buy Starbond in the pint aerosol pump bottles, which is much cheaper than the spray cans.

John

Jim Becker
11-05-2023, 10:08 AM
I order from Amazon, typically StarBond brand...both accelerator and the actual CA glue. I've never found the accelerator anywhere locally in retail stores, although I've also never visited the "art" type stores. The 'borg doesn't carry it for sure.

Doug Garson
11-05-2023, 1:31 PM
Lee Valley carries Starbond and has better pricing $16.90 CA for 8 OZ pump accelerator https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/supplies/adhesives/glue/112251-starbond-pump-ca-accelerator?item=56Z8808
Vs Amazon $49.07 CA https://www.amazon.ca/Starbond-Instant-Accelerator-Activator-Sprayer/dp/B00BUVAY9K/ref=sr_1_5?crid=C43430648SWU&keywords=starbond&qid=1699208640&sprefix=starbond%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-5&th=1

Same price difference for the glue itself, don't know why there is such a price difference. Am I missing something?

Lee Schierer
11-05-2023, 1:53 PM
Lee Valley carries Starbond and has better pricing $16.90 CA for 8 OZ pump accelerator https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/supplies/adhesives/glue/112251-starbond-pump-ca-accelerator?item=56Z8808
Vs Amazon $49.07 CA https://www.amazon.ca/Starbond-Instant-Accelerator-Activator-Sprayer/dp/B00BUVAY9K/ref=sr_1_5?crid=C43430648SWU&keywords=starbond&qid=1699208640&sprefix=starbond%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-5&th=1

Same price difference for the glue itself, don't know why there is such a price difference. Am I missing something?

The price difference is due to the size of the container. Amazon is selling 8 ounce bottles, Lee Valley is selling 2 ounce bottles. So the price to compare is Amazon 49.07 vs Lee Valley $67.60.

Doug Garson
11-05-2023, 3:27 PM
The price difference is due to the size of the container. Amazon is selling 8 ounce bottles, Lee Valley is selling 2 ounce bottles. So the price to compare is Amazon 49.07 vs Lee Valley $67.60.
That's what I thought but if that's the case their website is messed up and has been for a while https://www.amazon.ca/Starbond-EM-150-Medium-Premium-Cyanoacrylate/dp/B00C32MHJU/ref=sr_1_13?crid=1BVL710VYQSHT&keywords=starbond+ca&qid=1699215706&sprefix=starbond+ca%2Caps%2C250&sr=8-13

roger wiegand
11-05-2023, 3:32 PM

I buy it at my local turning club meeting for a fraction of that, $16 for a 16 oz pump container or 8 oz for $9 (Starbond brand). Someone is making out like a bandit given that the club still makes a nice profit at those prices.

Earl McLain
11-05-2023, 4:19 PM
I don't know if the hobby shop/model race track is still open on Franklin Street in Elkhart, IN--it was between Indiana Ave & Nappanee St., might be worth a shot if you're close. Seems like that shop used to sell BSI or StarBond.
One thing to check for/watch for--some CA makers use a formulation that may not react well with accelerators besides their own. GluBoost for sure and maybe Mercury would be the ones i'd use the proprietaty accelerator with. Don't know about Bob Smith Industries (BSI).

Rob Luter
11-05-2023, 4:47 PM
I don't know if the hobby shop/model race track is still open on Franklin Street in Elkhart, IN--it was between Indiana Ave & Nappanee St., might be worth a shot if you're close. Seems like that shop used to sell BSI or StarBond.
One thing to check for/watch for--some CA makers use a formulation that may not react well with accelerators besides their own. GluBoost for sure and maybe Mercury would be the ones i'd use the proprietaty accelerator with. Don't know about Bob Smith Industries (BSI).

Nope, it’s closed. I’ll be placing either an Amazon order or a Lee Valley order in the next month. If I can’t find it locally I’ll get some on line.

John TenEyck
11-05-2023, 7:21 PM

The price for the 8 oz pump at Amazon is $15.71: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUVAY9K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

John

glenn bradley
11-05-2023, 7:47 PM
I too try to buy locally. I will even pay a bit more to keep my money in my community. If my local store can't be bothered to hire qualified people or train them . . . I go to Amazon.

Doug Garson
11-05-2023, 8:11 PM
The price for the 8 oz pump at Amazon is $15.71: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUVAY9K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

John

:confused: When I click the link it says "Currently unavailable" and the price shown is $17.49. Looks like it is a moving target. :rolleyes:
I guess if you're going to order it, check all the sources before pulling the trigger.

roger wiegand
11-06-2023, 7:05 AM
:confused: When I click the link it says "Currently unavailable" and the price shown is $17.49. Looks like it is a moving target. :rolleyes:
I guess if you're going to order it, check all the sources before pulling the trigger.

Perhaps a problem in shipping to Canadia (and CAD)? I see the $15.71 and available to ship.

Doug Garson
11-06-2023, 12:23 PM
Perhaps a problem in shipping to Canadia (and CAD)? I see the $15.71 and available to ship.
Could be, Amazon.ca price for 2 oz of medium Starbond CA glue is $43.97, what price does it show you when you follow this link?
https://www.amazon.ca/Starbond-EM-150-Medium-Premium-Cyanoacrylate/dp/B00C32MHJU/ref=sr_1_10?crid=3N56G5P40OFYA&keywords=starbond+ca+glue&qid=1699291052&sprefix=starbond+ca+glue%2Caps%2C198&sr=8-10

I just switched my VPN to the US and went to Amazon.com in an incognito window and I see what you see so I guess it is a cross border shipping thing. Even with my VPN set to the US it still thinks I'm in Canada if I don't go incognito and says its unavailable.

roger wiegand
11-06-2023, 1:13 PM
$43 on the amazon.ca site, $14 on the amazon.com (US) site. Ouch! You might try looking directly at the Starbond site. They are pretty reasonable people to deal with..

Prashun Patel
11-06-2023, 1:41 PM
Lee Valley (Canadian) has more reasonable prices on accelerator (both aerosol and pump)

Doug Garson
11-06-2023, 1:53 PM
$43 on the amazon.ca site, $14 on the amazon.com (US) site. Ouch! You might try looking directly at the Starbond site. They are pretty reasonable people to deal with..
Or just go to Lee Valley, which I did last time I needed it. Luckily I have one 20 min away. :)

Brian Tymchak
11-06-2023, 4:59 PM
Or just go to Lee Valley, which I did last time I needed it. Luckily I have one 20 min away. :)

Really wish Lee Valley would open stores in the U.S. :(

But I'm sure there's a really good reason they don't.

Doug Garson
11-06-2023, 6:06 PM
Really wish Lee Valley would open stores in the U.S. :(

But I'm sure there's a really good reason they don't.
It's a relatively small family run company. They just have 18 stores across Canada, expanding into the US a much larger more competitive market would be a big venture. After saying that, I looked and actually they do have a Lee Valley Express store in Reno Nevada, bit of a hike from Columbus Ohio :rolleyes:. Don't know what the Express part of the name means, wonder if it serves as a US based warehouse for US online orders? Website says it offers instore shopping and instore pickup and looks to be a smaller than average store.

mike stenson
11-06-2023, 9:15 PM
It's a relatively small family run company. They just have 18 stores across Canada, expanding into the US a much larger more competitive market would be a big venture. After saying that, I looked and actually they do have a Lee Valley Express store in Reno Nevada, bit of a hike from Columbus Ohio :rolleyes:. Don't know what the Express part of the name means, wonder if it serves as a US based warehouse for US online orders? Website says it offers instore shopping and instore pickup and looks to be a smaller than average store.

The majority of my orders have shipped from Reno. We'll, when I'm lucky, it's faster shipping.

Rege Sullivan
11-06-2023, 9:38 PM
For ca and/or accelerator I'll put BSI (Bob Smith Industries) and Star Bond in my Amazon cart if the price seem high - over the next couple of day one or the other usually changes... sometimes for the better.

For what it's worth, price being equal, I choose BSI brand. Might be my imagination but it seems to last a little longer which I attribute to a slightly better bottle.

Maurice Mcmurry
11-07-2023, 7:39 AM
Stewart Macdonald and AllParts are both good sources.

Jim Becker
11-07-2023, 9:56 AM
My understanding was that the Reno location helps with online orders for the western regions to improve delivery times over shipping from the New York state location (just this side of the river/border) to those areas. But that's coming from memory since it's been a few years since they opened up the Reno location.

Doug Garson
11-07-2023, 12:43 PM
My understanding was that the Reno location helps with online orders for the western regions to improve delivery times over shipping from the New York state location (just this side of the river/border) to those areas. But that's coming from memory since it's been a few years since they opened up the Reno location.
I assume the New York location is just a warehouse as it's not listed on their website as a store location.

Jim Becker
11-07-2023, 4:33 PM
I assume the New York location is just a warehouse as it's not listed on their website as a store location.
Yes, that's correct. It's a major warehouse/shipping location so they can avoid the cross border duty dance for US orders. I forget the specific town at the moment, but I believe there are bunch of Canadian companies that have similar facilities in that general area if memory serves as there is easy cross border travel for people, etc.

Tim Andrews
11-13-2023, 10:16 PM
I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but is accelerator really necessary? I use super glue fairly often, particularly for quick jigs and fixtures, but have never used accelerator. I just hold the pieces for 30 -40 seconds and don’t stress the joint for a couple of minutes. What am I missing?

Prashun Patel
11-14-2023, 9:29 AM
If you are doing a ton of it, those 30-40 seconds add up.

Jim Becker
11-14-2023, 9:36 AM
In addition to what Prashun mentions, there are many times when you want a quick stick because manually holding sometime isn't always the most stable situation. Some CA techniques also require it, such as the painter's tape and CA hold down method, etc.

George Yetka
11-14-2023, 10:00 AM
I ordered some starbond replacements the other day. If you are ordering 1 or 2-2oz bottles Amazon is the way to go if you have prime. If you or ordering more get direct from starbond. cheeper but you pay shipping. Theyre price on sets is much better than individuals also assuming you use multiple weights/colors but if you stick to one you can still get glue/activator set at a few dollar discount over individuals. My previous order was to switch from tightbond brand to starbond. so i got 4-2oz and activator together and chased the tightbond stuff out of the shop.