PDA

View Full Version : Toughest thing I've ever done

Bryan Somers
02-03-2006, 4:31 PM
Just returned from the vet where the LOML and I had to have our faithful friend of 12 plus years put down today. She was a black lab named Oreo, once full of energy and life. I knew the authoritus was taking its toll when she did not greet me at the gate last night. When I checked her this mourning she looked at me with glazed eyes as if to say "Dad my legs wont work anymore I'm hurting" We brought her home Christmas Eve 1993 where she woke our daughter up (then 12) with a wet tounge. She was a sweet girl who loved everyone that came over and thought they had come to visit her. She went quietly with her muzzle resting in our daughters lap, and she now rest under her favorite Willow Oak where the morning sun will allways kiss her nose. It has been a sad day, and have made a memorial in my signiture and avatar.

Dave Richards
02-03-2006, 4:35 PM
My sympathies. It is extremely difficult to have to put down a pet. I still tear up at thought of the day we put Smitty down. We'd only had him 3 years. I can't imagine the pain after more than 12 years.

I'm sure you did the right thing.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-03-2006, 4:44 PM
Bryan,

I am so sorry for your loss, I am choked up writing this....

Think of the 12 great years that she gave you and know she is in a better place.

Jim Dunn
02-03-2006, 4:45 PM
Our sheltie was 18yrs old when we had him put down. It pained me no end to see him struggle to stand up to eat. When he could no longer make it to the door to do his business nor stand to eat we knew it was time. Our sympathies

Jim and Pat Dunn

Mark Cothren
02-03-2006, 5:03 PM
Sorry to hear about this. Our black Lab, Dixie, is pushing 10... she's slowed down and has some health problems that we medicate her for. I'm sure it won't be too long and we'll be faced with this same situation.

tod evans
02-03-2006, 5:16 PM
bryan, my deepest condolences. tod

Jim Davenport
02-03-2006, 5:54 PM
My deepest condolences on the loss of your beloved family member.
Here's a little something that might ease the pain a little.
http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

Richard Wolf
02-03-2006, 6:04 PM
God Speed. It seems so cruel that dogs go so fast. They leave us in such pain. But think how sad when they out live us and they don't understand what happened.

Richard

Jim O'Dell
02-03-2006, 6:21 PM
Bryan, it never gets easier, either. Last spring we helped our old lady to the Bridge (I'll try to remember to look the poem up and post here this evening). She was close to 14, and the Dam of our first litter of pups. She was the 5th we've had to help to the after life, and I get choked up still thinking about her.
One thing we started doing with our first show dog when we lost her was to write down all the good times we had with her, be it wins at shows, funny things around the house. Oreo waking your daughter up with a kiss is a perfect example. These were pretty much one-liners, and each dog we've lost since then has their own computer file. As a page gets full, we print and put in their folder in the file cabinet. Over several months when we thought of something, we'd go add it to the list. It helped move from the sadness to celebrating the time we had with them, and is very thereputic.
As we say with the Irish, May the Shamrocks fall softly. Jim

Vaughn McMillan
02-03-2006, 6:23 PM
Bryan, I don't know what to say other than very sorry to see the sad news. I hope you find comfort in the memories of your time with Oreo, and that the hurt goes away soon.

- Vaughn

Jim O'Dell
02-03-2006, 6:24 PM
well, I found it on the net here quickly. Didn't know if Websense would allow the search or not. Be sure to grab a Kleenix...

Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2006, 7:48 PM
My deepest sympathies Bryan! Been there......Done that...... My deepest sympathies!

Ted Shrader
02-03-2006, 7:58 PM
Bryan -

My sympathies to you and your family. It is tough to loose a auch caring friend and companion. They will even tell you when the time is right.

Try to remember the fun (and funny) times when Oreo was around. They will be with you forever.

Ted

Bryan Somers
02-03-2006, 7:59 PM
Jim and Jim

I discovered the Rainbow Bridge poem and animated version at a Lab discussion board I believe someone here may have posted a link to it a few weeks ago Lab-Retriever .net Of course I could not forget our first trip to the beach where she chased seagulls and sandpipers untill she could not hold her head up.

David Duke
02-03-2006, 8:12 PM
I know exactly how you feel Bryan,when I was around5 years old a stray pup wondered into our yard and my brother and sisters begged and pleaded with our parents to let us keep her. They did and Peaches became a part of our family a very integral part, I grew up with her and shared my ice cream cones with her........to make a long story shorter Peaches lived for over nineteen years. The last couple of years of her life she became virtually blind and deaf, she could still get around OK but was extremely slow in getting up. Peaches slept out in the garage my dad always checked before he left anywhere to make sure that she wasn't under the truck........as you probably already guessed I was in a hurry one morning and my truck was in the shop so I borrowed my dads........I didn't look, I backed over Peaches' hind quarters breaking her back and rear legs. My brother took her to the vet to have her put down, I was so upset I couldn't drive. When he brought her home daddy and I had her grave dug and we buried her; with moma, my brother and myself and even my dad crying like babies.To this day every time I think of her I get a tear in my eye.

Roger Myers
02-03-2006, 8:21 PM
Bryan,
My sympathies on the loss of your beloved family member...
Roger

Christopher Pine
02-03-2006, 11:41 PM
My sympathies to you on your loss! Its hard to lose a member of your family like that!
Chris

Dan Forman
02-04-2006, 4:05 AM
Brian---So hard to bear the loss of such a friend. I like the idea Jim had about creating some sort of file or picture book as a memorial. It really helps to work through the grief.

Dan

Dave Anderson NH
02-04-2006, 8:59 AM
My sympathies Bryan. I can feel the tears in the corners of my eyes as I write this. We had the same situation with our beloved springer Otis 18 months ago. He went quietly with his head cradled in my lap and my wife beside me patting him. To this day Sue still occasionally cries when she thinks of him. Yes, it was a hard thing for both you and for us to deal with, but we both kept faith with our companion by being there right to the end and not taking the easy way out by having the vet do it behind closed doors. This is something to be proud of as difficult as it was. My condolences.