PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Powermatic 225 Planer - Quiet Head

Devin Ginther
11-04-2023, 6:18 AM
Greetings,

I know this is a monster industrial 24" planer that I have always admired but have little working knowledge.

I have one available locally that appears to be in really good COSMETIC condition with a more modern 20HP 480V motor (I do have 480V). It is the "quiet head" model that people seem to really hate and advise a helical conversion ($3300 upgrade...ouch). Quite a powerful motor considering our sawmills run 50HP 480V motors.

Are parts available? Thoughts on offer value (not being able to see if under power)?
I noticed two of the main turn wheel handles are missing. Seems those handles are not easy to find? Worried about all the smaller stuff if I were to give it a full rebuild.

Phillip Mitchell
11-04-2023, 9:24 AM
Have you searched on OWWM.org ? Lots of commentary, details, and advice on the PM “Quiet One” cutterhead.

Does the planer you’re looking at have the knife grinder and all its associated bits and bobs? My understanding is that the cutterhead itself performs fine when in optimal cutting condition, but keeping it that way can be a PITA unless all the grinder parts are present and in good form and even then it can be a nuisance. It’s a segmented / staggered cutterhead with small 2” knives in sections as opposed to full length knives or the newer replaceable spiral carbide inserts.

What is the asking price and how bad do you need a 24” planer currently? The 225 is a fantastic planer by most all accounts, but that cutterhead is not popular for good reason. If you have 480v 3 ph and a reasonable budget then I would wait for one that has a cutterhead in it that isn’t a PITA personally…or swap it out. But not Hermance at this point. I have read 2-3 horror stories from fellow members recently since they switched ownership of to poor quality custom cutterheads they supplied and going MIA on communication / being willing to warranty their work and make it right.

https://woodweb.com/exchanges/machinery/posts/543806.html - 40” Buss planer (30hp) in immaculate condition in Cedar Creek, fyi

https://woodweb.com/exchanges/machinery/posts/543511.html - 30” Buss in TN that looks to be in fine condition.

Edited to add: This machine with the cutterhead and not being under power / able to fully assess condition and operation would definitely be on the lower side of the price range, imo. If I am considering a used machine and am not getting adequate information / cannot observe it under power or fully assess condition then I generally pass or sometimes cut my offer in half and see what happens being fully prepared to move on.

Kevin Jenness
11-04-2023, 9:32 AM
Agree w/ Philip. I would take a Buss in good condition over a Powermatic any day, and maintaining the PM segmented head would be more than annoying. Retrofitting a shelix type head into the 225 might be worthwhile if the initial cost is low.

For Powermatic parts try https://www.redmondmachinery.com/

Bill Dufour
11-05-2023, 10:52 AM
Do you have a spare 30 amps to run that motor? Probably need 50-60 to get it started. I think that has a Reeves drive variable speed unit that can get worn or dust clogged. I understand the quiet head is fine as long as it is all sharp.
Many are sold with the grinding attachment bolted on but missing grinder. Mine was that way. I knew that before I bought it at a school auction.The grinder by itself was over $200.
Does the motor stick way out the side?
Bill D
photo shows grinding mount bar attached but grinder is missing. It should be mounted on the right. Mounted to the green square plate next to the hand wheel on the far right, top.

Bill Dufour
11-05-2023, 11:04 AM
On my 18" PM the gears to raise and lower the bed rollers are frozen. I have not bothered to see what is wrong since I am moving the shop around.
I sprayed dupont chain saver lube on all the sliding surfaces under the bed. Made it much easier to raise and lower.
I see some claiming weight of 1.5 Tons. To heavy for engine lift. I put 4x4's through the throat and lifted from both ends. Mine is half your weight so a engine hoist was fine.
Bill D.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/655/1298.pdf

Bill Dufour
11-05-2023, 11:05 AM
On my 18" PM the gears to raise and lower the bed rollers are frozen.&nbsp; I have not bothered to see what is wrong since I am moving the shop around.<br>I sprayed dupont chain saver lube on all the sliding surfaces under the bed.&nbsp; Made it much easier to raise and lower.<br>I see some claiming weight of 1.5 Tons.&nbsp; To heavy for engine lift.&nbsp; I put 4x4's through the throat and lifted from both ends.&nbsp; Mine is half your weight so a engine hoist was fine.<br>Bill D.<br><br>http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/655/1298.pdf

Bill Dufour
11-07-2023, 12:00 AM
At some point in the 70's the cast iron powermatic name on the front was replaced by a red plastic nameplate. At least on my 18" version.
Bill D

Tom Yaegle
11-21-2023, 8:35 PM
I am one of the ones with head issues. PM made a lot of variations for the head mostly on the direct drive planers. I have ordered another head for mine, will report on the cut quality when I get it and install it. If I am happy will be selling my old head but it is a direct drive. You may be able to find a 4 blade regular head cheap from someone upgrading.