PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press

Cam Grabast
02-03-2006, 4:03 PM
Hello Everyone!

I new to these parts, and just joined up yesterday. Looks like a great place to find wood working information.

I'm looking to find a good variable speed drill press. I need one with at least a 3-1/4" Spindle Travel. I've looked at a few, and am leaning toward a Grizzly brand, but if anyone else has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

JayStPeter
02-03-2006, 4:14 PM
Welcome Cam.

Just to clarify, do you mean variable speed (VS) or multiple speeds. The grizzly VS drill press is over $1500 :eek: . Delta makes a few more affordable VS presses from a benchtop in the two hundred range to a couple 17"ers ranging from the 7 to 8 hundreds to their industrial models closer to the grizzly price.

You may want to specify a little more clearly what you're looking for as far as size (i.e. benchtop/freestanding) and price range.

I think your spindle travel spec is easily met by most drill presses. My next DP will have over 4" of travel as I think 3 1/4" is a little weak for woodworking.

Jay St. Peter

Mark Rios
02-03-2006, 4:16 PM
Hey Cam, Welcome.

tod evans
02-03-2006, 4:22 PM
welcome cam!

Frank Chaffee
02-03-2006, 5:56 PM
I'm looking to find a good variable speed drill press.

Welcome Cam.
Just to clarify, do you mean variable speed (VS) or multiple speeds.
Cam,
How often will you intend to change speeds on your desired drill press? On some multi-speed drill presses (those with stepped pulleys), speed changes are very quick and convenient, whereas on some others they are awkward and time consuming. If you will not need to change your cutter SFPM (Surface Feet Per Minute) speed very frequently, then stepped pulleys may be a better investment… IF, the machine is designed well enough to make speed changes quickly and easily.

My next DP will have over 4" of travel as I think 3 1/4" is a little weak for woodworking.
Cam,
This stroke travel thing is a really big consideration in selecting a drill press. If you will be using one or more piloting bits for a larger hole, then you must consider the difference in length of those bits. Drill presses are notoriously poor at aligning to axis when the table height needs to be changed. My advice here is to get the longest stroke you ever expect to need, while figuring in all the bits it may take to do the bore.
Please feel free to ask me any questions, as I am a very boring guy.
Frank

Cam Grabast
02-03-2006, 6:42 PM
Thanks and will clarify a little.

I'm looking at a multi speed. Most all of my work is under 3", some close to 3 1/8", but nothing more. I leaning towards a free standing machine. Somewhere in the $200 to $300 range.

Thanks

Allen Bookout
02-03-2006, 6:44 PM
Cam, I would also like to add my welcome. I hate to jump in on your thread with no answers but some questions of my own. I hope that it helps your cause.

I am using a old Buffalo (built like a tank but handles like one as well) with four inches of spindle travel but it only has four speeds and it takes a gorilla to move the table or the head up and down so I am also in the market for a new drill press.

It appears to me that the cost for a variable speed unit would be better spent on a multiple speed unit with at least four inches (more would be better) of spindle travel. I see three Grizzlys that seem as though they would fit the bill from $400 to $600. I know that there are other brands in that price range that would do the job as well.

Frank said that speed changes on some are quick and convenient whereas on some others they are awkward and time consuming. My question is could or would someone post a list of those brands and or models that are quick and easy, have at least four inches of travel, have plenty of power and are of reasonable quality?

I did go to the Tampa show but there were none there that I could find and it would take a long time to go from dealer to dealer to compare and even if you took the time there would be brands that you would not see. So, that being the case I would be appreciative of any information.

Thanks!!! Allen

P.S. Sorry Cam! I did not know that you were writing your post the same time that I was and I see from what you said above that your needs are a little bit different than mine. So that being the case please just disregard my questions and I will start a new thread when I am closer to buying.

Cam Grabast
02-03-2006, 8:21 PM
Cam, I would also like to add my welcome. I hate to jump in on your thread with no answers but some questions of my own. I hope that it helps your cause.

I am using a old Buffalo (built like a tank but handles like one as well) with four inches of spindle travel but it only has four speeds and it takes a gorilla to move the table or the head up and down so I am also in the market for a new drill press.

It appears to me that the cost for a variable speed unit would be better spent on a multiple speed unit with at least four inches (more would be better) of spindle travel. I see three Grizzlys that seem as though they would fit the bill from $400 to $600. I know that there are other brands in that price range that would do the job as well.

Frank said that speed changes on some are quick and convenient whereas on some others they are awkward and time consuming. My question is could or would someone post a list of those brands and or models that are quick and easy, have at least four inches of travel, have plenty of power and are of reasonable quality?

I did go to the Tampa show but there were none there that I could find and it would take a long time to go from dealer to dealer to compare and even if you took the time there would be brands that you would not see. So, that being the case I would be appreciative of any information.

Thanks!!! Allen

P.S. Sorry Cam! I did not know that you were writing your post the same time that I was and I see from what you said above that your needs are a little bit different than mine. So that being the case please just disregard my questions and I will start a new thread when I am closer to buying.

No problem Allen!

lou sansone
02-03-2006, 8:27 PM
welcome to the creek..
I think for the price range you are interested in you may have to take a look at some older used machines
lou

Cam Grabast
02-03-2006, 8:59 PM
welcome to the creek..
I think for the price range you are interested in you may have to take a look at some older used machines
lou

The one I'm currently looking at is a Grizzly Model G7944. It retails for $200 + Shipping. I own a few Grizzly Tools, and have had great luck so far. Maybe you know something I don't???:confused:

Allen Bookout
02-03-2006, 9:49 PM
Hey Cam, I just found what I think is a real deal that would suit both of us and I just placed an order. Take a look at Amazon. They have the Delta 17-965 for $359.99 and you can click add both the 17-965 and a Dewalt DW303 Recip Saw for another $75.00. But now get this---apply a promo code for the Recip Saw and you get it for free. Then apply a promo code for ordering over $350 and you get another $50 off. Click the dot for free Super Saving shipping and they ship for free for a total of $309.99 for both.

The reviews seem pretty good for the unit. Also Mark Singer, a Moderator here, said in post under "Drill Press Recomendations" on Feb 20, 2005 "I like this Delta - 17-965". That is good enough for me.

I show the Grizzly G7944 at $250 plus $65 shipping for a total of $315. Could be that you have a special deal for $200.

The Delta has 16 speeds instead of 12 and a spindle travel of 4 7/8" instead of 3 1/4".

If you dicide to go the Delta route and have any trouble ordering send me a message and I will be glad to help you out. By the way ---- where are you located. No need to really answer but it is just interesting to see where out members are from. Never mind. I looked at your web site. Nice job.

Good Luck! Allen

David Fried
02-03-2006, 10:17 PM
Cam,

I bought a floor style Rikon Radial Drill Press (http://rikontools.com/images/SellSheets/RadialDrillPress.pdf). I got mine at Woodcraft for $199 but I don't see it on their web site any longer. Rikon could tell you who their distributors are.

Dave Fried

Brian Parker
02-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Cam,

I got the Delta 17-965 from Amazon. If you use the $50 off coupon on their site you get it shipped to you for $305.99 and you can also get a free dewalt sawzall with another code thats on the page.

Thanks and will clarify a little.

I'm looking at a multi speed. Most all of my work is under 3", some close to 3 1/8", but nothing more. I leaning towards a free standing machine. Somewhere in the $200 to $300 range.

Thanks

Steve Elias
02-03-2006, 11:18 PM
Allen,
Thank you for the heads up regarding the deal on the 17-965 on Amazon. I was aware of the $50 off promo, but the addition of the free sawzall pushed me over the edge.

Cam,
You may not need more than 3" of quill travel now, but with the Amazon deal that's currently in place, it seems like the right time to buy some insurance quill travel for that unexpected need that may occur in the future. If it eases your mind, FWW rated the Delta the best choice in the "affordable" floor standing price range. I can add that I have used my friends 17-965 drill press for several years now with solid, reliable results.

Steve

Jeff Singleton
02-03-2006, 11:48 PM
I use a 1968 Powermatic 1200 with a Jacobs Ball Bearing chuck, 2 hp and 6" spindle travel, 600 lbs. crank table, love it. Pick one up use for around $300-750, got mine 12 years ago for a grand.

Jeff Singleton

david mooney
02-03-2006, 11:50 PM
i just bought a nice floor standinghitachi from lowes. it normally retailed for $200, and was on sale for $100. it included a lazer guide that is useless. otherwise, it seems to be a good machine

Allen Bookout
02-04-2006, 12:25 AM
You know what Jeff, That is a WHOLE DIFFERENT WORLD. Some of us would love to live there but it is a little difficult in certain areas. I think that around the industrial areas of the U.S. there are many more of those types of machines to be had. Even if you buy them long distance the shipping cost may equal or exceed the cost of the machine. Same with the travel cost if you can go and get them. I have seen some of the great older machines around here but rarely. They are usually in old machine shops back in a corner and not really for sale anyway. I don't know why.

In any case I know that the modern drill presses in the hobby/small shop category are like toys compared to yours. It must be a real pleasure when you fire it up and go to work with it.

For most of us it is kind of like a Cessna driver looking at an F14.

Allen

JayStPeter
02-04-2006, 10:46 AM
The one I'm currently looking at is a Grizzly Model G7944. It retails for $200 + Shipping. I own a few Grizzly Tools, and have had great luck so far. Maybe you know something I don't???:confused:

When I bought my DP, I was looking at that one. I wound up buying a used Delta 14". I sure wish I had just gotten the Grizzly (btw, I see it at $250+shipping). I much prefer the threaded depth stops to the radial depth stop that is on mine. I have read good reviews on it and suspect it is a good bargain.
Once you leave some space to slide your piece under the drill bit, you really only have 3" of depth. I initially thought that would be enough, but the first thing I wanted to do with it when I got it home was drill through a 2x4 on edge :rolleyes: . Since then, I've wished for more spindle travel a number of times.
BTW, link belts make speed changes easier.

Jay

Cam Grabast
02-04-2006, 2:52 PM
Thanks for all of the help! That Delta looks like a great model also!

John Keane
02-05-2006, 11:15 AM
A word of caution about Delta. Two months ago I did a DS with my Delta 12" DP. Net result was I ruined the chuck and the spindle. The DP has been in Mikes Tools for two months awaiting parts. He advises that "the parts are on back order". Something just doesn't wash here, and I don't think that the problem is with Mikes tools.