PDA

View Full Version : Rockler Cambridge MA store closing.

Mark Katz
11-01-2023, 5:29 PM
Got this email today. I didn't get over there that often but I started going there in the 1980s when was just called The Woodworking Store. I suspect the long-time owner wanted to retire but sad to see it go.

Jim Becker
11-01-2023, 7:09 PM
Always a sad thing. I suspect you're correct that the franchise owner wanted to move on and perhaps the business metrics were not supportive to someone else buying the franchise or maybe even external factors, such as a property lease, etc. It happens.

edward kinslade
11-02-2023, 11:30 PM
Always a sad thing. I suspect you're correct that the franchise owner wanted to move on and perhaps the business metrics were not supportive to someone else buying the franchise or maybe even external factors, such as a property lease, etc. It happens.

No franchise owner. Corporate decision to close the location and entire team and manager is being let go.
They were blindsided as store was believed to be doing well.

Shame

Jim Becker
11-03-2023, 1:46 PM
If true, that's sad, Edward. But there must be some business reason for the decision that's causing the action; maybe something not visible to the manager and employees if it was a corporate location as you mention.

David Stone (CT)
11-03-2023, 11:36 PM
That's sad news for us area woodworkers and the staff. I can remember going in there for the first time c. 1985, and spent a lot of happy hours and some money there over the years. Even nowadays, it's a nice and handy alternative to getting everything online or driving up to Woodcraft in Woburn. . ...As for why they're closing, I have to wonder if perhaps their storefront, which they don't own, is slated for redevelopment. Single story retail blocks are an endangered species in Cambridge and Boston, given how much more valuable these properties can be as multistory residential and mixed use, especially in a prime location like Rockler occupies on Mass Ave. near the T. It's sort of amazing and wonderful that the Rockler store, the block they're in and some of the various small businesses along that stretch in North Cambridge have hung on as long as they have.

Maurice Mcmurry
11-04-2023, 6:02 AM
Thats unfortunate. I am surprised that the wood working store held out this long. The Boston area has changed so much. Home Depo did not exist during the years that I lived there. South Bay Home Depot is the busiest store I have ever been to. I dislike going there. Driving along Methadone Mile is very unpleasant. I guess cities are like rivers, the more they change the more they stay the same.

David Stone (CT)
11-06-2023, 8:59 AM
A local news outlet has the story on why the Cambridge location is closing: Rockler has concluded the store is physically too small and limited in accessibility (a reference, I assume, to it lacking a big parking lot, since it's certainly convenient distance-wise to a big population) to support the full range of things and "great retail experience" the company aims to offer in its stores nationwide.

https://www.cambridgeday.com/2023/11/05/legacy-cambridge-hardware-store-rockler-closing-dec-30-after-40-years-in-business/

Pat Germain
11-06-2023, 1:12 PM
I thought surely my local Woodcraft was going away years ago. I saw "STORE CLOSING" signs in the window. When I asked the staff they were happy to tell me about the evil owner of the strip mall. He refused to repair the crumbling parking lot, update the look of the store fronts or even plow the snow. Of course, he was very keen to raise the rent again and again. Woodcraft and many other businesses punched out of that strip mall.

Luckily, Woodcraft popped up in another strip mall nearby. I hope they can hang on. When I bought my SawStop, the manager told me they were selling a LOT of those. Likely they make more money on accessories and fasteners, but selling selling a lot of SawStops can't hurt.

Alex Zeller
11-06-2023, 1:49 PM
It was that long ago when the one in Salem moved down the street. I suspect that most people between the two now go to the tax free NH store. Also anyone who wants to avoid going too close to Boston. The NH store is easy to get to from 93. Never been to the Cambridge store but it looks like you have to travel a bit on city streets. If so I can see people driving a bit further to save a few bucks and not deal with as much traffic.

Maurice Mcmurry
11-25-2023, 8:18 AM
It was that long ago when the one in Salem moved down the street. I suspect that most people between the two now go to the tax free NH store. Also anyone who wants to avoid going too close to Boston. The NH store is easy to get to from 93. Never been to the Cambridge store but it looks like you have to travel a bit on city streets. If so I can see people driving a bit further to save a few bucks and not deal with as much traffic.

The 2nd busiest Home Depot I have been to is the one in West Lebanon NH. The clientele is dominated by folks from Vermont taking advantage if no sales tax. We just paid the tax bill for a little NH property my wife recently took responsibility for and are a little taken aback by the amount. It is over twice what we pay in MO. We may need to move to NH to take advantage of no sales tax.

Alex Zeller
11-25-2023, 10:19 PM
The 2nd busiest Home Depot I have been to is the one in West Lebanon NH. The clientele is dominated by folks from Vermont taking advantage if no sales tax. We just paid the tax bill for a little NH property my wife recently took responsibility for and are a little taken aback by the amount. It is over twice what we pay in MO. We may need to move to NH to take advantage of no sales tax.

My sister lived in Nashua NH for a number of years. The southern part of the city is dominated by big box stores that are packed with people from Mass. This time of the year, black Friday, it's a nightmare to drive. I think it's why they moved north.

Ken Flesher
11-26-2023, 8:40 AM
... and no income tax (been in NH since '86)

Yup, they gotta pay the state bills and build schools somehow, so it's pretty much property taxes and vehicle registration fees that pays for everything. Towns with the best schools have the highest taxes.

Maurice Mcmurry
11-26-2023, 8:52 AM
... and no income tax (been in NH since '86)

Yup, they gotta pay the state bills and build schools somehow, so it's pretty much property taxes and vehicle registration fees that pays for everything. Towns with the best schools have the highest taxes.

The state liquor stores are also a source of revenue. I am impressed by the efficiency and thriftiness of the little township the in-laws property is in.

Maurice Mcmurry
11-27-2023, 8:02 PM
The state liquor stores are also a source of revenue. I am impressed by the efficiency and thriftiness of the little township the in-laws property is in.

The lottery is another source of revenue for NH. NH has had a lottery for many years. I have never played the lottery. We do help kids have schools to go to in 4 different counties. It is time to pick just one.

Pat Germain
11-28-2023, 10:22 AM
Apparently it's not enough for a business to make a profit. Here in the 21st century, a business or must make huge profits right now. Otherwise, it gets shut down.

mike stenson
11-28-2023, 10:31 AM
Apparently it's not enough for a business to make a profit. Here in the 21st century, a business or must make huge profits right now. Otherwise, it gets shut down.

Measured quarter/quarter. Maybe year/year, at most. Longer than that and no one has any patience for it.

Pat Germain
11-28-2023, 1:03 PM
Measured quarter/quarter. Maybe year/year, at most. Longer than that and no one has any patience for it.

Really? I would expect corporate bean counters review spreadsheets almost daily.

Alex Zeller
11-28-2023, 1:44 PM

Was that store making a profit? We don't know. Rockler has lots of gadgets that can be useful but they are usually priced higher than what internet only stores can sell them for. If one was close by I could see myself owning more of them simply because I could walk in, decide it could do what it's designed to do, and walk out with it. But there's a lot of people who will place an order while at work so they will have it for the weekend. They usually will either buy from the lowest priced seller or from a company that they like.

Around here I lost count of all the woodworking stores that came and went since the 70s. They just don't get the foot traffic. My personal opinion is you need to sell consumables to make a profit. Once a woodworker buys a piece of equipment that could last them a lifetime. For example, just how many jointers can be sold in one area?

Pat Germain
11-28-2023, 2:23 PM
Was that store making a profit? We don't know. Rockler has lots of gadgets that can be useful but they are usually priced higher than what internet only stores can sell them for. If one was close by I could see myself owning more of them simply because I could walk in, decide it could do what it's designed to do, and walk out with it. But there's a lot of people who will place an order while at work so they will have it for the weekend. They usually will either buy from the lowest priced seller or from a company that they like.

Around here I lost count of all the woodworking stores that came and went since the 70s. They just don't get the foot traffic. My personal opinion is you need to sell consumables to make a profit. Once a woodworker buys a piece of equipment that could last them a lifetime. For example, just how many jointers can be sold in one area?

Very good points. I'm puzzled as to why my local Woodcraft doesn't have more consumables. No Cubitron sandpaper. No collections of screws, hinges and assorted fasteners. All the hardware is sold individually at very high prices. The wood is all S4S and very expensive. I bought machines, some of them from Woodcraft, some from Rockler, so I could mill it myself. So why would I buy it from Woodcraft? Rockler is the same way with their wood. My local Woodcraft doesn't even stock plywood. I recently wanted to buy some General Finishes monocoat. They exactly ONE can and it wasn't what I wanted.

My nearest Rockler is in Denver; over an hour away on the road. It's a really nice store, but it's a hassle for me to get there. If my local Woodcraft was better stocked, I would visit far more often. If I could get rough lumber, I would likely also pick up some fastener collections, Cubitron sandpaper and many other things if they were on the shelf.

Honest, I will shop at brick and mortar stores if they have what I want to buy.

Mark Wedel
11-28-2023, 3:14 PM
I suspect one reason they might not have certain consumables is they know they can't compete on-line, or other large scale (home depot, lowes) stores. So they might be able to sell those things if someone had stopped by the store for something they could only get at Rockler/Woodcraft, but most folks are not likely to make a trip to such a store when there are easier alternatives. And for most consumables, I know that for myself, I can see that I'm running low on something and order it on-line and it will arrive before I actually run out.
They could aim at the specialty consumer market - things that the big box stores don't have, but those are likely to be low sellers. Maybe they have specialized hinges, but if they are only going to sell 2 sets/year, that isn't helping them out much, and they have to track and store that inventory.
I think it is a touch market to be in - you will get undercut by on-line prices. You really can't offer anything that can't be found on-line (and reality is, on-line will have more options). For me personally, the big value of such stores is being able to see products in person before I buy them - I'm not like to spend $500+ on a tool without ever seeing it in person first, and if the prices they have are competitive (don't need to be lowest, but close), I'll buy from the local store. But as noted, there is a finite supply of such buyers.