PDA

View Full Version : Closed Threads

Ronald Blue
11-01-2023, 11:55 AM
I see the thread on safe's was locked down. This one didn't even get the "customary warning" to not get into the weeds. Which from what I could see it hadn't. What gives?

Alan Rutherford
11-01-2023, 12:19 PM
I can't answer that officially but if this were a gun forum it had about reached the point where someone usually suggests you get out the popcorn and watch the fray. It had sorta strayed off-topic. Interesting, though.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-01-2023, 1:11 PM
Ronald,

That post was obviously getting heated, very political, and had drifted far away from the original topic.

For the record, I am a gun owner, but I avoid those types of threads. I doubt a warning would have accomplished anything.

Doug Garson
11-01-2023, 1:23 PM
Just read the thread, if that is the definition of getting heated or political I didn't see it. Maybe a little off topic but it was in the "Off Topic" section. I was pleasantly surprised that most had a healthy attitude.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-01-2023, 1:57 PM
Doug, if you don't think promoting guns for personal protection isn't political, you don't see the same discussions I see. I am a gun owner, have hunted since my age was in the single digits. I have shot benchrest rifle competition, pistol silhouette and the last 8 months of my 8 years of active duty served on a security team who guarded nuclear weapons that we stored and repaired aboard the USN ship of which I was a crew member. I am not an anti-gunner. But those discussions don't belong on a woodworking and associated hobbies/businesses. They are political.

BTW, I read the thread.

Doug Garson
11-01-2023, 2:20 PM
Ken, I'll accept your definition of what's political is more in line with the mainstream in the US and this forum. Up here on another woodworking forum off topic section, we had a discussion a while back on gun control that went on for several weeks and never got out of control. There were a few posts deleted as I recall but the thread was never shut down.

Bill Howatt
11-01-2023, 5:05 PM
IMO, it had remained civil but the latter posts seemed to be getting a bit more pointed and I think it would only been a little time and it would have become much more political or worse.
Doug, the gun control topic is a lot more contentious for our friends south of us.

Doug Garson
11-01-2023, 5:22 PM
IMO, it had remained civil but the latter posts seemed to be getting a bit more pointed and I think it would only been a little time and it would have become much more political or worse.
Doug, the gun control topic is a lot more contentious for our friends south of us.
Agree but until they can discuss it in a civilized way it won't change.

Dave Zellers
11-01-2023, 10:27 PM
I guess I'm the guilty party so apologies. But I can also assure the board, I do not ever, and would not in this case, have engaged in any escalation.

Proper commas? I think...

Michael Weber
11-02-2023, 12:35 PM
I guess I'm the guilty party so apologies. But I can also assure the board, I do not ever, and would not in this case, have engaged in any escalation.

Proper commas? I think...I believe the first comma after the word “board” is unnecessary. Kudos on the apostrophe though. :D

Ken Fitzgerald
11-02-2023, 1:53 PM

Proper commas? I think...

No apologies necessary Dave.

Bill Dufour
11-03-2023, 4:45 PM
Use too many commas and they will fall off the paper and land on your toes. Making you comatose.
BilL D

Dave Zellers
11-03-2023, 11:30 PM
Use too many commas and they will fall off the paper and land on your toes. Making you comatose.
BilL D

:p I did question that first one. I think I knew better but did it anyway.

Over commaing runs in the family. :)